PDA

View Full Version : Savoury bake sale items?

cab321
01-15-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm trying to come up with something different for a bake sale...I was thinking of a non-sweet treat. But my great ideas end there. I have made the MS pretzel fingers for this group before and they went over quite well. Any other ideas along those lines?

funniegrrl
01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Breadsticks
Crackers
Foccacia
Flatbreads
Savory yeast bread loaves / rolls

Angelsfan
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
We made these the other evening and really enjoyed them.

-Heather

Corn Bread Bites

This recipe also makes a dozen muffins in a standard muffin tin; bake 17 minutes or until golden brown. You also can double the recipe and freeze the extra muffins for up to one month. If you do this, prepare the muffins in two batches so the baking powder doesn't lose its effectiveness while the extra batter waits for the first batch to be turned out of the pans.

2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 (8 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
Dash of hot sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°.

Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. Combine cheese and remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.

Divide batter evenly among miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in cups 2 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
Yield

12 servings (serving size: 3 muffins)

mcgee
01-15-2008, 03:14 PM
What about flavored or spiced nuts?

CompassRose
01-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't have any recipes to hand -- but I've seen ones for shortbread cheddar cheese coins that looked tasty.

ADM
01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
How about Savoury Scones? Or, mini (or small) quiches? Or, Green Chilie Cornbread Muffins?

mrswaz
01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
How about Pepperoni Biscotti? Joe posted about some on his blog awhile back.

Pepperoni Biscotti (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/pepperoni-biscotti.html)

Canice
01-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a recipe for Cheddar coins. These are nice, too:

Lemon Pepper Crackers

1 cup flour
2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
4 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 Tbsp. sour cream
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp. cold water, if necessary
coarse salt

In a bowl, blend the flour, pepper, zest, a pinch of salt and butter with two forks or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the sour cream and lemon jice and toss the mixture until it just comes together. If the mixture seems particularly dry, add 1 tsp. water and mix again. Add up to 1 more tsp. of water if necessary. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and gently press into a disk. Chill the dough for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Remove dough from plastic and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough to a thickness of 1/16 inch. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut circles of the dough and place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle the top of each cracker with a pinch of salt.
Bake crackers for 12 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 32 2-inch crackers.

doggerham
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Spicy cheese straws

Vinca
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Here are a couple of recipes for you to check out. The Baked Cheddar Olives I had at a party and they were very good. I am not a green olive fan but these were pretty tasty. I hear that they are very easy to prepare.

The second recipe is a little different than what the others have posted. I found it on Rachael Ray’s website. I have never tried this recipe but it looks interesting.

Baked Cheddar Olives

1 cup Cheddar Cheese, Grated
2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Softened
1/2 cup Flour
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
24 Pimiento-Stuffed Olives

Drain olives and pat dry with towels. Combine cheese and butter in a bowl. Add flour and cayenne and blend until well mixed. Drop the dough by tablespoons onto wax paper and wrap or mold each piece of dough around an olive, covering it completely. Bake the wrapped olives on a baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 400xF oven for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. A 1969 Gourmet Magazine Favorite.

Serves/Makes: 24 pcs Ready In: < 30 minutes
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 10 Calories; trace Fat (2.6% calories from fat); trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; trace Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Fat.

Artichoke & Spinach Rolled Stuffed Bread

• 1 package frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted with extra water squeezed
out
• 2 packages frozen spinach, defrosted with extra water squeezed out
• 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
• 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 8 springs of thyme, leaves removed
• 2 cloves garlic, grated
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 package pizza dough, such as Pillsbury
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Yields: 8 snack-size servings

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

In a large bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, spinach, provolone, Asiago, lemon zest, thyme, garlic, salt and ground pepper.
Unroll the pizza dough onto on a baking sheet with the long edge facing you. Be careful not to stretch it too much.

Pour the filling into the middle of the dough, shaping it into a thick log running lengthwise down the center of the dough.
Fold one edge of the pizza dough over the filling, then fold the other half over to seal the filling inside the dough. Turn the stuffed bread over on the sheet pan so the seam is on the bottom. Brush with EVOO and sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.
Bake the stuffed bread until evenly golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Cool slightly before slicing.

Linda in MO
01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Here are some ideas I found in Mastercook. I have not made any of them though.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pepperoni Biscotti

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup butter -- softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
1/4 cup finely chopped red sweet pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, sugar, baking powder, and Italian seasoning. Beat until combined. Beat in egg and milk. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour, pepperoni, red sweet pepper, onion, and parsley.

2. Knead dough gently until it clings together. Shape dough into two 9x1-1/2-inch rolls. Roll dough rolls in the 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese to coat. Place rolls on prepared cookie sheet; flatten slightly.

3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 hour.

4. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Cut each roll crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices, cut side down, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn and bake for 10 to 12 minutes more or until biscotti are dry and crisp. (Do not overbake.) Transfer biscotti to a wire rack; let cool. Makes about 24 biscotti.

NOTES : Source: Better Homes & Gardens

Makes about 24 biscotti
Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 40 minutes
Cool: 1 hour
Stand: 1 hour

OK, these aren't "baked good" but you could probably sell littlle bags of snack mix. These look good...

ZESTY PARTY SNACK MIX

Recipe By :

4 cups oven-toasted corn cereal squares
2 cans French's® Potato Sticks -- (1-1/2 ounces each)
1 cup honey roasted peanuts
3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons French's® Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoons Frank's® REDHOT® Cayenne Pepper Sauce
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

1. Place cereal, potato sticks and nuts in 3-quart microwave-safe bowl. Combine melted butter, Worcestershire, Frank's RedHot Sauce and seasoned salt in small bowl; mix well. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture. Toss well to coat evenly.
2. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 6 minutes, stirring well every 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels; cool completely.

Tex-Mex Snack Mix: Add 1 teaspoon each chili powder and ground cumin to butter mixture. Substitute 1 cup regular peanuts for the honey roasted nuts. Prepare as directed.
Italian Snack Mix: Add 11/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder to butter mixture. Substitute 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup sliced almonds for the honey roasted nuts. Prepare as directed.
Indian Snack Mix: Omit seasoned salt. Add 2 teaspoons each sesame seeds and curry powder and 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt to butter mixture. Substitute 1 cup cashews for the honey roasted nuts. Prepare as directed.

NOTES : Servings: about 6 cups | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 6 minutes |

Parmesan Party Mix

Recipe By :

7 cups Crispix
2 cups cheese-flavored snack crackers
1 cup pretzel sticks
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed -- crushed
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

In a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag, combine the cereal, crackers and pretzels. In a small bowl, combine the oil, Italian seasoning, fennel seed and hot pepper sauce. Pour over cereal mixture; seal bag and toss to coat. Add Parmesan cheese; seal bag and toss to coat. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8 cups.

NOTES : From Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious

“This is our favorite mix,” relates Karen Smith of Thornton, Colorado. “The combination of seasonings gives it just the right flavor, and it’s a snap to toss together.”

Linda in MO
01-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Do you have a bread machine? This "Roman Bread" was good. It makes a huge round loaf though, so I would probably divide it into 2 smaller loaves.
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=106755&highlight=roman+bread

cab321
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow! You guys sure came through for me. I'll have to show DH the list and see what he thinks. I'll try to remember to let you know what we make.