PDA

View Full Version : Living Cookbook question

leightx
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm still on the trial version, and loving it so far - a huge improvement over Mastercook IMO, especially since I was never able to get the new version of MC to play nicely with Vista. :mad:

Anyway, I can't seem to figure out how to have the program figure out nutritional info. I love how you can import it from say a CL recipe, and it fills in the data, but I can't seem to calculate it from the ingredients. When I go to edit the recipe and go to the nutrition tab, I click on calculate from ingredients, and it fills in "0.0" for everything. :confused: Is this a limitation in the trial version, or am I just being a dunce?

Thanks for any help!!

VAcooker
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I believe that you have to go into the "Ingredients" tab and "link" each ingredient (below is taken from the Living Cookbook help menu):

Open the edit recipe dialog.

On the Action menu click Edit Recipe.

Link the recipe ingredients:
Click the Ingredient tab.
Click the first ingredient.
Click Link.

The ingredient list will contain a list of ingredients that match the recipe ingredient. Choose the one that most closely matches the recipe ingredient.
Tip: If none of the ingredients in the list match (or if the list is empty), try changing the text in the Search for box. For example, if the recipe ingredient is green or red pepper you would need to change the text to green pepper to get a match. After changing the Search for text, click Search to find new matches.

In the equivalent to box choose the quantity and unit that match the recipe ingredient. For example, if the recipe ingredient is 1 clove garlic, minced then the equivalent ingredient would be 2 x 1 clove garlic, raw.
Click OK
Repeat steps 2 to 7 for each of the remaining ingredient.

Tip: The ingredient database contains 6400 ingredients. If you can't find an ingredient, you can choose an ingredient with similar nutritional properties, you can create a new ingredient, or you can skip the ingredient.

Click OK.

Calculate the recipe nutrition.

Click the Nutrition tab.

Click Calculate From Ingredients.

Click OK to close the window.

dneilson
01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
VACooker was very generous and selfless to provide detailed instructions.

Yep...when in edit mode of the recipe, you need to link it to the ingredient. I sometimes place a text recipe title in a field and link to a different recipe (say, for a different pie crust). You can link to ingredients or another recipe.
Dolores

beacooker
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I just got a new PC with Vista, and haven't had time to play with it much yet. Leigh, before you installed MC, did you follow instructions like here (http://mc6help.tripod.com/mastercook_and_vista.htm)? Just curious - I haven't had any Vista problems with MC yet, after having followed the installation instructions at the link above, but I haven't used it much yet, because I am having issues with getting my old recipes transferred over (although that is my fault, not MCs).

Anyway, I like the browsing function much MUCH better on Living Cookbook, but I don't like the printing capabilities as much, which is very important to me. Is there an easier way to print a single recipe than going through that 'add to publication' feature and exporting to Word? I don't have Word (I'm using OpenOffice) and my LC crashed when I tried doing a publication.

IndyKF
01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Is there an easier way to print a single recipe than going through that 'add to publication' feature and exporting to Word?

When you have a recipe open, there is a toolbar at the top and you can simply print from there. It prints directly from the LC appliction.

Regarding linking ingredients, there is also an option to "link all", so you don't have to do each ingredient one at a time. You still have to make sure that the ingredients are being linked with the correct item from their database.

leightx
01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks so much Kiran! I kept pushing the little link icon to the right of the ingredient, and nothing was happening. For some reason I totally overlooked the "Link" button! :o

Anne - unfortunately, I didn't realize that MC had issues with Vista, and when I got my new computer I decided it was time to upgrade, and downloaded the new version. It was all fine until I tried to use the import assistant, which flat out didn't work at all. I found Pam's detailed instructions on the yahoo group and spent 2 days trying to get the darn thing to work (reinstalling, changing the privileges, etc.) and never could figure it out. It seems that the downloadable version has some kind of issue that the CD version doesn't have. It really irritates me to no end that Valuesoft doesn't warn you that the program doesn't work with Vista. :mad: No one should have to jump through that many hoops to get the thing installed (and it's definitely not just me - there are plenty of complaints on the yahoo group dealing with the same issue). They are very lucky to have Pam and Pam over there helping everyone out!!

I haven't tried to print from LC since I just take my laptop into the kitchen and cook from it that way! I need to find some kind of mess-proof cover for my keyboard though!