PDA

View Full Version : baking with flax seed

vbostick
01-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I purchased ground flax seed to add when baking. How much do you put in cake or muffin batter and when do you add it?

wallycat
01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I have recipes that call for it, so it usually determines an amount.
I add it right to the batter and bake up.
My banana bread (from CL) I believe is 1/4 cup.
Make sure you put the ground flax in the fridge or freezer!!

sneezles
01-16-2008, 05:18 PM
I will have to go downstairs to get my flaxseed cookbook but there is really no hard fast rule.

Hopefully you didn't buy a huge amount since it doesn't keep well when it's ground.

Right now I have to go prepare our dinner so will be back...

Libra20
01-16-2008, 06:40 PM
I will have to go downstairs to get my flaxseed cookbook but there is really no hard fast rule.

Hopefully you didn't buy a huge amount since it doesn't keep well when it's ground.
What happens to it? I have a bag of ground flaxseed that I keep in the fridge.

RebelYell18
01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
"Please Note: that when purchasing flax seeds that have already been ground the health benefits quickly disappear over time due to oxidation (exposure to air) and degradation of the chemical makeup of the flax. For this reason it is always better to use whole flax seeds and then grind them as needed."
from: http://www.greatplainsflax.com/flax_seed_recipes/flax-recipes.htm

They explained it more eloquently than I would have. Words just aren't coming together nicely today, lol! :rolleyes:

RebelYell18
01-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Also from the above site:

"Adapt your existing recipes substituting flax for the oil or shortening specified in a recipe. If a recipe calls for 1/3 cup of oil, replace with 1 cup of ground flaxseed - a 3:1 substitution ratio. As an alternative, the flour specified in a recipe can be reduced by 25% and replaced with ground flax seed.Baked goods tend to brown more quickly if flaxseed is substituted in the recipe so you will need to keep a close eye on the baking time until you have tried a particular recipe once or twice."

Angelina
01-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Quick FYI....you can also use ground flaxseed as a substitute for eggs. For each egg you replace, whip 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water in a blender or food processor till thick and creamy.

Of course this won't work in something like a pound cake, but it's good in quick breads and waffles and oatmeal cookies...you get the idea. :D

Angela

sneezles
01-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Quick FYI....you can also use ground flaxseed as a substitute for eggs. For each egg you replace, whip 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water in a blender or food processor till thick and creamy.

Of course this won't work in something like a pound cake, but it's good in quick breads and waffles and oatmeal cookies...you get the idea. :D

Angela

I just use a whisk and let the mixture sit for a minute or two (I hate washing the blender;) ).

I checked my book and it says the shelf life of ground is about 4 months if kept in a tightly-lidded container (in the fridge). Also be sure it's ground flax or milled flaxseed as opposed to flaxmeal as some have the oil removed; ground flaxseed should have 3.3 fat grams per 8 grams of flaxseed.

You can add it to things like spaghetti sauce but add it at the end of the cooking time as it really thickens a sauce and may cause an unpleasant consistency of you add it too early.(less breakdown of the lignans). Measure ground loosely, do not pack and do use rounded measures.

As a general rule use it as a dry ingredient and reduce your flour by the same amount (1/2 cup-3/4 cup). You may also need to add more liquid to the recipe, a little at a time to get the right consistency.

Be sure to soak the utensils right away as it can be a bear to clean bowls, pots, spoons, etc if allowed to dry. Cold water works better than hot for soaking.

sparrowgrass
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I keep mine in the freezer, and haven't noticed any change in flavor or consistency.

I use it pretty quickly, because I add some to my daily steel cut oats.

tigermorris
01-17-2008, 09:37 AM
I have Bob's Mill ground flaxmeal in my freezer. Is that the wrong product to be using??
What is the difference in the products?

sneezles
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I have Bob's Mill ground flaxmeal in my freezer. Is that the wrong product to be using??
What is the difference in the products?

My book just mentions that some flaxmeal may contain less oil (having it removed) but I suspect that Bob's Red Mill isn't one of those. The seed keeps much longer than the ground just as the oil doesn't keep long and shouldn't be used in cooking. The main reason for using flax is for the omega-3 oil(in addition to the fiber and the lignans) so you want as much as you can get!

tigermorris
01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
thanks sneezles.
good information to know!

Kathy B
01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I use ground flax all the time. I used to just add it to the recipe, but the results seemed more dry than the original recipes. Now that I sub it for part of the flour, I have had no problems. I just replace 1/4 - 1/3 c. flour with 1/4 - 1/3 c ground flax.

Glad to see that you can replace up to 25% of the flour. I don't know if I would do that much, but it gives me a basis to start increasing it a bit more.

I have never used it instead of eggs. For those of you who replace the eggs with flax, how much do you think it affects your end product? Can YOU tell that it was made with flax instead of eggs? How does the texture compare? I am interested in hearing your observations. :)