PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help Needed re Buttering Ramekins

Romandub
01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
The recipe for my molten cakes says to butter and flour the ramekins. Can I use Pam instead or is it better to do the butter and flour thing?

TraditionsGirl
01-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I use Pam for everything that I used to butter and have had no problems.

testkitchen45
01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
The recipe for my molten cakes says to butter and flour the ramekins. Can I use Pam instead or is it better to do the butter and flour thing?

Sort-of-inexperienced baker checking in, just to get you at least one quick answer b/c you're in the middle of a recipe--someone else will surely respond, too. Anyway, I wouldn't use plain Pam, but would probably feel just fine about Pam Baking or Baker's Joy (I prefer the Pam Baking, but both are flour-and-oil sprays that I like using for detailed Bundt pans). However, if it's for company or something, where the whole dinner/dessert would be ruined if you can't get the cakes out of the ramekins while eating them, then I'd do the butter thing at least for tonight.

Here's the "testkitchen" thing coming out: if it's just for family (known as "guinea pigs" in my house ;) ), then butter some ramekins and use a flour-and-oil spray on the others, and see which one wins. :)

sneezles
01-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I'd butter and flour.

I guess I should explain. With sprays you can overdue and then the cake won't have anything to hold onto as it rises and will likely roll over on itself. The flour gives it a better grip than just the fat.