PDA

View Full Version : Favorite canned tomatoes?

lmtladb
01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
This is the time of year when tomato soup just hits the spot. I have been going back and forth between many recipes and each time I buy the canned San Marzano plum tomatoes. Granted....if it were summer I'd be using fresh. I recently have been looking at the other brands of whole canned tomatoes and not sure which brand is the best. There are so many out there these days. Any brands out there you prefer? Or stay away from for that matter?

travelbug
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I tend to buy the Muir Glen Organic Whole Tomatoes. Cooks Illustrated rated Progresso as their taster's top choice, with Redpack and Hunts coming in second and third. All of the Italian brands they tested came in at the bottom.

Not sure if this link will work if you're not a subscriber:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/tasting/SO05_TastingTomatoes.pdf

funniegrrl
01-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I usually buy the store brand, Kroger or Publix or Harris Teeter. I make the CL Creamy Balsamic Tomato soup semi-frequently, and I'll use half regular and half no-salt. I've tried many national brands over the years, including Muir Glen, and I've never noticed any appreciable taste difference, at least not enough to justify the added expense. The biggest differences are in the juice/sauce they're packed in -- just depends on your preferences and how you're going to use them. If organic is important to you, then Muir Glen should be fine, but if there's a house brand organic (which Kroger may actually have these days) I'd say give those a try because they are so much cheaper.

Cookin4Love
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I use Muir Glen because they're organic, but prefer S&W for flavor. Progresso's products are also all good.

dlaboriel
01-26-2008, 05:50 PM
I like Contadina. Especially the Burgundy and olive oil for some things I make.

wallycat
01-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Whatever is on sale.

Especially if I am going to use it IN something...like chili or soup and it cooks down.
If I am using it in salads or shape matters, I get the Muir Glen organic stuff...

swedish cook
01-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Since I discovered Carmelina brand of San Marzano tomatoes I've had a hard time using anything else. The chopped are packed with tomato paste and not treated* to keep the pieces intact. (*Something I read on CI's website. Have forgotten what chemical is used.) That way you don't have to cut up whole, canned tomatoes to get a smooth consistency. I've bought them at HEB in Texas. When I see them I stockpile shamelessly :o The shelf was empty for a while and I found a place to buy them online but more came in before I used my last can.
Muir Glen is my second choice and I often mix the two when more than one can is required.

lmtladb
01-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Travelbug - Thanks for the link. An interesting read.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I might pick up a couple of different brands and give them a try.