PDA

View Full Version : Update on Jake's paw

luv2cook
02-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Well, I took him to the orthopod yesterday w/the x-rays that my vet had taken.

The rimadyl hasn't really done anything. He still limps. I was wrong in what I thought was the problem - it's not the joing right above your fingers, it was the main knuckle! I didn't understand that by looking at the x-ray. (duh for me).

Anyway, because it's a weight-bearing toe, second vet, radiologist and orthopedist all agree that amputation is really not an option. He said if it had been the toe on either ends, that would have been better because dogs aren't affected by that as much. (that figures)

the ortho suggested the following:
1. continue to rest and get a boot
2. finish out pain meds anyway and see how he does off them
3. If still no improvement, the ortho can inject cortisone into the joint. This requires anesthesia because it is painful. This may take several times. It depends

He explained to me that the injections can cause scar tissue to form around the joint, insulating it from pain. Honestly, the last step would be a fusion.

THey would drill out something and fuse it together. He said this would require extensive care, bandage changes, a splint and a long recovery period of 2-3 months.

I am hoping that the cortisone, if we go there, works. I would hate to put him through a nasty surgery.

He's still limping so I know the Rim isn't doing too much. Maybe the bootie will be the trick and it will remind him about it.

Anyway, wish us luck. There's no easy answer for this problem.

Also, we are on our own about finding a boot. We decided on Therapaw. We took the measurements but the website is being goosy - wouldn't let us onto the measurement page to double-check before we ordered. We plan on trying later. We're stuck here because we're having our garage door put in. They've been here since 10 and the door isn't close to being up!

TKay
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Poor Jake. I'm so sorry. It's too bad you didn't get one simple answer, you know? I don't have any advice to offer, just support. Our dog is quite aged and in failing health. Fortunately for us, the Rimadyl has done wonders. I wish you had the same result.
Good luck and hang in there.

Laurielee
02-02-2008, 12:43 PM
From one Jake to another wishign you luck.

I had mentioned to you in an earlier thread abut Wylie and her limping and how the synflex ahs been a godsend.

Before she was on that one vet was trying to get me to try prolo therapy, here is a site about it. Dont know if this is even an option or something most vets reccomend, but it couldnt hurt to ask

http://www.prolotherapy.org/

Laurie

luv2cook
02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
you know, that almost sounds like what the cortisone does. It stimulates the body, only it causes scar tissue that protects the tendon...

I might try the syn again - I would just need to order A LOT more. Went through a bottle in a little over a week!

Laurielee
02-02-2008, 03:23 PM
luvto cook, regarding the synflex, suunds like you were giving too much. The dosage for a 50-100# dog is 1/8 of an oz.

My bottle last over a month and not only do both of my dogs take it, I take too.

Laurie

luv2cook
02-02-2008, 11:30 PM
well, the directions said that you should double the dose to get things started...or something along those lines...and he's a 54-lb dog...