PDA

View Full Version : What to do with unused cooked lasagna noodles?

barbara-cook
02-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Last weekend I made lasagna for my family, using a recipe from Tyler Florence. The recipe called for 2 lbs (2 boxes) of noodles. So I went ahead and cooked them all up. Well, I probably used 1 1/4 boxes.

My question is: what can I do with the leftover noodles? They have olive oil on them (as suggested in the recipe), and I put them in a plastic zip-lock bag in the fridge.

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides making more lasagna!)?

TIA.

erin elizabeth
02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
How about cutting them into pieces and putting them into one of these casseroles [both from lindrusso]?

Chicken Florentine Casserole
4 (about 1 pound) boned and skinned chicken breast halves
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 large clove garlic -- sliced
1 pound fresh spinach -- rinsed (can use frozen to speed things up)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 ounces neufchatel cheese -- cut up and softened
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 pound linguine -- broken in half
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Heat oven to 375. Lightly oil 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Bring large pot of lightly salted water to boiling over high heat.

Combine chicken, 3/4 cup water, wine and garlic in saucepan. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat; gently simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool. Measure broth, adding water if needed to make a total of 1 3/4 cups. Tear chicken into about 1/2-inch wide shreds.

Place wet spinach in a large nonreactive pot; cover; cook over high heat until wilted, 3 minutes. Drain, lightly pressing out excess water. Coarsely chop; return to pot.

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in reserved 1 3/4 cup broth mixture; cook, stirring until thickened and smooth, 3-4 minutes. Add lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Add cheese sauce and shredded chicken to spinach in pot.

Meanwhile, add linguine to boiling water; cook until firm but tender, 9-10 minutes. Drain; add to spinach mixture. Turn into prepared casserole. Combine remaining Parmesan cheese, crumbs and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle over top casserole. Bake in 375 oven about 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve.

Spaghetti Pie
1 pound ground round
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce with garlic
1 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese -- softened
4 cups hot cooked spaghetti -- (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
Cooking Spray
1 1/2 cups (about 5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar
cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well, and return meat to pan. Stir in salt, pepper, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Combine the sour cream, green onions, and cream cheese in a small bowl, and set aside. Place the spaghetti noodles in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Spread the sour cream mixture over spaghetti noodles. Top with meat mixture. Cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Calories 408 (30% from fat); Fat 13.7 g (sat 7.3g, mono 4.2g, poly .8g); Protein 28.4g; Carb 39.9g; Fiber 2.9g; Chol 67mg; Iron 3.4mg; Sodium 849mg; Calc 376mg

NOTES : Note: I also added fresh herbs and 8 ounces of mushrooms to this recipe.

pilgrim719
02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Maybe slice them up and add them to soup?

Or you could make Pasta Chips (http://foodgeeks.com/recipes/recipe/4128,pasta_chips.phtml)!

Kari

Jewel
02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm not a huge Olive Garden fan, but they're featuring a recipe that uses the lasagna noodles as a wrap, almost like a manicotti. You could do something like that!

http://www.olivegarden.com/images/menu_landing_header_pictures/specials_us1.jpg

patsyk
02-08-2008, 02:02 PM
You could do a variation of fried pasta with them... cut them up into smaller pieces for it.

Cut up a large onion - large diced pieces. Saute until nice and brown. Add the cooked pasta and sprinkle with paprika... let cook slowly until nice and brown and crispy... DELISH! I am getting hungry just thinking about it! :)

sugaree
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh oh - try this. It's really really good! I think it's a Rachel Ray recipe, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna Roll-ups with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

16 cremini caps -- cleaned with a damp towel and finely chopped in food processor
1 small yellow-skinned onion -- finely chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 package frozen chopped spinach -- (10-ounce) defrosted and squeezed dry
Salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or the equivalent of freshly grated
2 cups part skim ricotta
8 curly edge lasagna noodles -- cooked to al dente (12 to 14 minutes)
1 cup fat free chicken broth
8 ounces Gorgonzola -- crumbled
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cups shredded mozzarella -- (1 to 1 1/2)

In a medium skillet over moderate heat, saute mushrooms, chopped onions, and garlic in oil until mushrooms give off their juices and darken and onions are tender, about 7 or 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; the salt will help draw water out of the vegetables as they cook.

Add dry chopped spinach to the pan and heat through for 1 minute. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, and a little nutmeg. Add ricotta and stir into mixture to heat cheese through, 1 minute longer. Remove pan from heat but leave in the warm skillet.

Heat broth in a small pan over moderate heat. Melt Gorgonzola into broth and bring liquid to a bubble. Stir in cream and thicken sauce 2 minutes.

Place cooked lasagna noodles on a large work surface or cutting board. Spread lasagna noodles with a layer of spinach-mushroom filling. Roll up pasta and arrange the 8 bundles in a shallow casserole dish. Pour warm sauce over roll-ups and top with mozzarella. Place casserole under broiler to melt cheese.