PDA

View Full Version : If you live in a gated community....

Blissful_in_TX
02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
This is a minor question, but a lady who works for the community called and asked if we wanted our name listed on the little thing at the gate entrance. I don't know....what do you do? And if we don't have our name there, how do people know what to press to call us....would it list our address? And this is another weird thing, it's a smallish community with roughly 25 houses and ours is the first house. Only one other person has started building :confused: But if they start closing the gate (it's been open during the day) are people .....probably people working on the other house(s) going to start calling us to get in the gate??

And how does the UPS man, etc get packages delivered if you're not home?

Thanks!

Laura
02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I live in a gated community and my last name and first initial is listed. I don't know how people would know otherwise. We also have a special code which is assigned to each home. I think for people who get a lot of deliveries, they maybe give the ups guy the code because I have received Fed Ex and such and they have never asked to be let in. Or maybe all the delivery services have some form of generic code, which of course defeats the purpose. If you live in a gated community that has a someone staffing the entrance, (I lived in one of those too), we had to let them know that the delivery service was coming on that day.

KristiB
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I live in a (unmanned)gated community and see so many landscapers, delivery people, construction people etc I wonder how many people have a code. I think it keeps out random traffic but that's about it.

My first initial and last name is listed but most of my friends have the code. Delivery people always seem to find their way in without calling.

Casey1230
02-19-2008, 06:45 AM
I just moved into an unmanned gated community and was told that delivery people, newspaper delivery, gardeners who come regularly have a universal code to get in. Before I was listed at the gate, I was told to just give that out.:rolleyes: But I think that the gate is just a mild form of security. I lived in a manned gated community for 30 years and it was really hard to get in there. I give my friends my code to get in....

JellyBean22
02-19-2008, 06:52 AM
I live in a gated community and the names are listed in alphabetical order on the keypad at the entrance. People have to jump through hoops to get in this place though.

The phone rings when someone pushes your button and then we have to push a button on the phone to let them in. Well, 90% of the time it doesn't work. We end up having to run down to the gate with the opener to let them in. It's a huge pain. At least the gate is open during the day when the model is open.

As far as deliveries, the mailman, UPS, FedEx, garbageman have a universal code.

Blissful_in_TX
02-19-2008, 07:20 AM
JellyBean, what a pain!

So it sounds like everybody's name is listed, which I don't mind, but I feel a little weird about it now since we are the ONLY house up (no idea why other people aren't building; most of the lots have been sold for a while now), and we have a really unique name in a super gossipy smallish-town. Maybe I'm overthinking this; it just feels odd that anyone could go "oh look, that must be Dr. so and so's house."

LakeMartinGal
02-19-2008, 07:57 AM
As to universal codes... I don't live in a gated community, but I am in a fire department where we have them, and we have been given (finally) a code to get us through the gates in case of emergencies. I assume UPS and FedEx, etc, have their own codes so that they can track entries/exits.

Don't forget to check if your FD has a code!;)

I wouldn't have my name at the gate until there is at least 1 other house, though.

Robyncz
02-19-2008, 08:15 AM
If it were me, and mine were the ONLY house built so far, I don't think I would put my name up just yet. I'd probably ask them if we could wait until there are more residents in the community. I really wouldn't want to end up as the "go-to" person for people showing up to the neighborhood for any reason.

If you expect someone, you can give them the code for now.