PDA

View Full Version : Settle an argument please....

Jewel
02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Dave brought home a pie from a grocery store bakery on Tuesday. I always feel let down when he does this, all he has to do is say that he's craving pie and I'll make him one! Maybe he bought it because it's a Lemon Meringue Pie and I've never successfully created one..... :o

Anyway, I say the pie needs to be refrigerated. He says no, the eggs are cooked already, so it can sit on the counter. It's been on the counter since Tuesday, he's cutting a piece every night.

So who's right? Refrigerate Lemon Meringue Pie or not? :)

zackaboo
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I am with you on this one. I have always thought that lemon meringue pie needs to be refrigerated. Can't say excactly why though. ;) Isn't it always served cold when you order from a restaurant?

If my DH wanted a lemon meringue pie, he would have to buy one as well. It is not something that I have ever even attempted to make. :)

Vanessa
02-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Storing Pies and Pastry
Is it best to freeze a pie before or after baking? How long can pies be kept? Should pies be refrigerated? Here are all the answeres for those passionate about pie.
Be sure to refrigerate pies containing eggs (pumpkin, custard and cream pies). Be aware that custard and cream pies do not freeze successfully.
Fruit pies keep at room temperature for two days; you can store them, loosely covered, in the refrigerator for up to two days longer. (In warm climates, always store fruit pies in the refrigerator.)
You can freeze both baked and unbaked pie crusts. An unbaked crust will keep for 2 months in the freezer; a baked crust will keep for 4 months.
To thaw a baked pie crust, unwrap and let stand at room temperature, or heat in the oven at 350F for about 6 minutes.
Don't thaw unbaked crusts; bake them right out of the freezer.
Freeze a baked fruit pie for later! For best results, first bake the pie and then place it uncovered in the freezer. When completely frozen, wrap the pie tightly or place in a plastic freezer bag and place back in the freezer. Frozen, baked fruit pies will keep up to 4 months.
To freeze an unbaked pie, wrap pie tightly or place in a plastic freezer bag (as you would a baked pie). Don't cut slits in the top crust. Unbaked fruit pies will keep in the freezer up to 3 months. When you're ready to bake, unwrap and carefully cut slits in the still-frozen top crust. Do not thaw. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and bake 30 to 45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through the slits.
To serve a frozen double-crust pie, unwrap and thaw at room temperature for 1 hour. Heat pie at 375F on the lowest oven rack for 35 to 40 minutes or until warm.

dneilson
02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
To my mind, the filling does not concern me so much since store bought pie filling uses processed ingredients and preservatives - chances are eggs were not even used. A homemade lemon filling with it's high acidity; and high sugar content are not ideal thriving conditions for bacteria growth even though my eggs are brought to 175F. I do refrigerate homemade ones but don't worry if they sit out a few hours (sans meringue).

Meringue made with fresh egg whites is another story. I'd have trepidation consuming it left out after a few hours if it was made with fresh whites. Hmmmm.... the pie is store bought and most likely made w/ dried meringue powder. To my mind, I'd have to know what's in it to know!! I'd err on the side of caution just to be safe.

Dolores

aggie94
02-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I would personally leave it on the counter because I don't like chilled pie. And I wouldn't want to put lemon meringue in the microwave. But that's just me. :)

Jewel
02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
So far all intents and purposes.............I'm right. :D:D:D

I always beg him to put fruit pies in the fridge too, but he won't. That man will eat on a big apple or peach pie for a week at least without it ever being refrigerated. I don't know how he does it, but so far he hasn't come down with any weird illnesses! :confused:

Thanks so much everyone!

aggie94
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
I would *never* put an apple pie in the fridge. :o

avariell
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I would *never* put an apple pie in the fridge. :o

I am with aggie on this one - I have never even heard of someone refrigerating an apple or cherry pie! It sounds weird to me :)

ljt2r
02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I am with aggie on this one - I have never even heard of someone refrigerating an apple or cherry pie! It sounds weird to me :)

Ditto here too--I think my mom's apple pie (my favorite) would get soggy in the fridge. ugh.

I will say though if you live in the north the great thing about this time of year is you can just put a pie in a large tupperware type box right outside your door if you are lacking in fridge space. That is how I will make DH's bday PB pie, which I am working on right now. It has pudding and mousse layers, so definitely needs to chill. But maybe everyone else'e fridge isn't as cramped as mine. :o :)

Anne
02-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry, no insites about refridgeration - I've never had a pie sit around for a week - usually it is inhaled by dh and ds within a couple hours. No concept of portion control and I'd be the desert nazi if I tried to suggest it.

wallycat
02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
My DH will never refrigerate a pie ...or any dessert....and it doesn't matter if it has eggs or cheese or cream, if it is home made or from the store....and he's never gotten sick yet.

Gecko
02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I always refrigerate pies mainly because mold grows here so quickly. Heck, a bagel on my counter can develop white or green growing stuff within 2 days, I'd hate to see what a pie could grow :D

misskitty100
02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
We refrigerate at our house. Probably more because we don't have tons of counter space and I don't like things sitting out and "cluttering up" everything.

I am surprised that you wouldn't have to refrigerate a Lemon Meringue Pie. Next time I am at the store, I will have to pay attention and see if they refrigerate them or not.

Lee Ann K.
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Just got back from the grocery store and they have the lemon meringue pies right next to the fruit pies on the unrefrigerated display shelves in the bakery section. I've never refrigerated one and neither has my sister, who adores lemon meringue pie.

LaurenP
02-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I've never even thought about it before, but I always refrig pies and never refrig cakes ( unless a whipped cream frosting ).