PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to clean sterling silver jewelry?

Molli526
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Is there an easy, using at home products, to clean sterling silver jewelry? I have a necklace that needs to be spruced up.

Thanks!

gertdog
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Molli, for just a little touch-up I like this Sunshine polishing cloth. It contains cleaning chemicals and gives my silver earrings and necklaces a really nice shine. I got mine at a local jewelry store a few years ago for about 5 dollars- it has lasted a long time. I also like that I can just tuck it into my jewelry case when I travel.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TWF5HCZFL._AA280_.jpg

Molli526
02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks Stephanie! I ordered something like that from Amazon. Yay for easy!

Gilgamesh37
02-27-2008, 06:50 PM
toothpaste (paste kind, not gel) and an old toothbrush. It apparently isn't the greatest thing for your jewelry, but then again, it's something I do maybe once a year with each piece, and I've seen no ill effects. (makes kind of a mess while you're doing it though) Scrub with the toothbrush in all the little crevices and corners, rinse in cool water, and dry with a lint-free towel.

CompassRose
02-27-2008, 08:14 PM
My friend who makes jewellery recommends those polishing cloths, or something like them. He doesn't even like the various dips and things (and would probably pass out at your toothpaste suggestion, Gil!).:p

blazedog
02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
I know it's not recommended but I swear by the liquid dips -- I am not taking care of the crown jewels and so far the stuff is none the worse for wear -- the oldest being forty or so years.

Obviously you can't dip anything with stones or pieces that have deliberate patina (which will be taken away) but my sterling is mostly Mexican or mid century modern which would be impossible to clean with any other method

I destroyed a few pieces because polishing them traditionally broke pieces off since I had to exert enough pressure to polish which was too much for links and other delicate areas.

misskitty100
02-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I always use toothpaste. I will have to look into those cloths!