PDA

View Full Version : ISO bread recipe for croutons

potato_moose
03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I've tried the Simple Crusty Bread twice now, hoping to turn the finished bread into croutons. I think it might work ok this time, but I'm not going to do this recipe again as the bread is too flat, which will mean the croutons will all have a crusty edge (and I like some to be just the tender, inner portion).

I am now ISO a good bread recipe to turn into croutons. I can do an overnight starter, but the sourdough bread in my "red plaid" cookbook requires 3-5 days, stirring 2 or 3 times a day. That just isn't going to happen here.

I also can't use butter or shortening.

Can you help?

barbara-cook
03-06-2008, 08:26 PM
A few years ago, CL published a recipe for Rustic White Bread. No butter or shortening. And it tastes great! I could very easily be used for croutons.
The recipe was not intended as a machine recipe, but that's how I make it and it works fine. So if you have a machine, try it.

2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt

Put the ingredients into the bread machine pan in the order your machine manufacturer calls for. Set machine on basic, crust on medium, start machine. When bread is finished backing, remove pan from machine, let bread cool 10 minutes, remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack.

If you don't have a machine, perhaps you could do a search on the CL website and see if it comes up. I usually type the issue date and page # on my recipes when I put them in my binder, but for some reason I didn't do it on this one! Sorry. But I have used leftover bread from this recipe for croutons and they worked fine.

Good luck!

potato_moose
03-06-2008, 09:10 PM
If you don't have a machine, perhaps you could do a search on the CL website and see if it comes up. I usually type the issue date and page # on my recipes when I put them in my binder, but for some reason I didn't do it on this one! Sorry. But I have used leftover bread from this recipe for croutons and they worked fine.

Good luck!

I found it and it looks perfect! :) Thanks so much! We used to have a bread machine, but got rid of it years ago.

Rustic White Bread:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=698587
(http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=698587)

barbara-cook
03-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Glad I could help. Let me know how you like them (or the bread if you decide to eat some first!).