PDA

View Full Version : Vital Wheat Gluten

jessicacoy
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
I just found a recipe in the KAF Whole Grain Baking book that uses steel cut oats (which I have a surplus of right now.....) It is an Irish Porridge Bread. One of the ingredients is vital wheat gluten. I see that you can buy it from the KAF website, but was wondering if anyone has found it in a local grocery store?? I don't want to set off on a wild-goose chase if it isn't readily available, but would prefer to not have to order it. I have a local chain groceries as well as a health food store that has a sizeable bulk section. Do you think either of these would likely carry it?

TIA,
Jessica

Mary Ann
03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I can get it at my local chain supermarkets in the Health Food area, and at Wal-Mart in the baking aisle.

jessicacoy
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks Mary Ann. Sounds like it is worth looking for at the local stores at least!

Jessica

Cookin4Love
03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I have found it at Sprouts, but not Whole Foods (for some strange reason).

Stephanie-Oh
03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Hodgson Mills makes one and i purchased it at my local gro. store. Also Raisin Rack sells it and i've bought it at an Amish bulk food store....Steph

barbara-cook
03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I'vew gotten it at Wegmans (not sure where you are). I think it was the Hodgson Mills that someone else mentioned. I had to look for it when I bought "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger. I mean I had to really look for it, but one box goes a long ways. I think I've only had to buy it twice in maybe three years. And I do make a lot of bread usng it....