PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the "Do not call" program

Laurielee
03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
We are getting inundated at work with solicitors, 2 -3 a day. I thought this was against the law

Laurie

bobmark226
03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
For a lot of people who signed on early on, it's expired. You most likely need to register again.

www.donotcall.gov

Bob

SDMomChef
03-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I had noticed that as well, but just assumed the solicitors found some loophole. Off to re-register - thanks Bob!

Robyn1007
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
For a lot of people who signed on early on, it's expired. You most likely need to register again.

www.donotcall.gov

Bob

Bob, that link says it won't expire. More info: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/10/dnctestimony.shtm

Laurielee, I'd start filing complaints about whoever is calling you.

bobmark226
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Bob, that link says it won't expire.

That may be true now, but it possibly wasn't true at the outset. I saw a segment on this on TV about a month ago and they said re-registering was necessary. TV does not lie! ;) I know I had one telemarketer who got through who I told I was on the register tell me that, in fact, I was not.

There is also a page for just verification that some might find useful.

https://www.donotcall.gov/confirm/conf.aspx

Bob

pharmarepgirl
03-13-2008, 01:43 PM
I think the original "do not call" registry was good for 4/5years, I just re-registered all our numbers a few mos ago. Intrestingly enough, faxes are not under this rule!!! We get these crazy faxes to lose wt, buy insurance, join a gym, etc and I checked it out. I hate the faxes b/c it wastes toner and paper.
You can register your cell phones too!

DeeK
03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
The verification page says I'm registered, but I've noticed more solicitation calls lately too.

The problem with turning people in is that as soon as you start asking who they are, etc... they hang up on you. :mad:

madpots
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Bob, for the link. Does this also include political pests?

Robyn1007
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM

No. :cool:

BucknellAlum
03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
What about non-profits? I have been getting calls from organizations like the state troopers association, or some breast cancer fund whose name I did not recognize. Once i ask them to send me their request in writing, they usually hang up.

I also hate the junk faxes! Our fax line rings on our phone line, and I have gotten woken up in the night for junk faxes. I found a place on the FCC website to report junk faxes, but I don't know if it does any good. Who actually calls these people up and buys something based on a junk fax??

storispa
03-13-2008, 02:24 PM
you can also opt out of junk mail
In case you don’t have this…

Opt-out of Pre-screened Credit Offers
You can choose not to receive offers for new credit cards and certain other unsolicited mailings by taking advantage of a free service offered by the major credit bureaus. Call 1-888-5OptOut (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com to stop these offers from coming to your home (Note: you will be asked to provide your Social Security Number so that your request can be matched with credit records maintained by the credit bureaus).

Pennsylvania maintains a separate do-not-call registry at www.attorneygeneral.gov or 1-888-777-3406.

funniegrrl
03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
The original Do Not Call list was good for 3 years. If you registered towards the beginning of the program and haven't re-registered, you need to do so.

The list does NOT cover political calls or non-profit calls.

This list does NOT cover calls from businesses that you have ever done business with.

You may ask any specific group to take you off of their list. If you do so, they are supposed to send you confirmation in the mail that they have. If they don't, or if they continue to call, you can report them.

Laurielee
03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
what about businesses?, Bobs link is for homeowners.

We are a small 5 person business and the calls are 99% from overseas trying to sell investments. The other 1 % is US trying to sell investments. ITs weird, Its like one call triggers another and within an hour someesle else has called.

Oh one I forgot, Is we get several free trade magazines, most unsolicited. I recently sent emails to them to not send us anymore, now we are getting call sdo you want to renew your free subscription. arrgh, its a never ending cycle.

Somone just called and I sent it thru by accident to my boss the person selling the investment was downright beligerant and my boss had to hang up on him.

I also heard that if you try to stop faxes, it becomes worse

Laurie

funniegrrl
03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Most unsolicited faxes are ILLEGAL. I know they are everywhere, but if I ran a business I'd report each and every one to the FCC. The reason they are still proliferating is that very few business report the culprits. Still, companies have sued the senders of junk faxes and won.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/unwantedfaxes.html

Laurielee
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the link on the faxes, I will start saving those to submit.

Laurie

tmsl
03-13-2008, 04:18 PM

We have a talking caller id phone and one of our CAT's (yes, cat) growls when it rings through with the id "political call".

Smart cat....:D

tea4one
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
What about utility companies? Ecspecially the ones you don't have? I know they don't know but I swear I told them to take me off their calling list. If they call again I think I'll play around and see how miffed they will get when I tell them I live in an apartment that is all ELECTRICAL!!

barbara-cook
03-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks Bob for the link - I just re-registerd. We've been getting some strange calls lately - thanks goodness for caller ID. I figure if someone calls me and they get a machine, they can leave a message. 99% of them don't, of cuorse. They must know we won't call them back! Anyway, thanks for the link!