PDA

View Full Version : Spatula Vs. Turner

EllenL
03-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Okay, I'm pretty sure this will be a sure-fire way to see who of us is over 40 or 45 or so and who is younger.....

What do you call the kitchen tool that you use to lift stuff out of a pan, like pancakes or cookies?

Spatula?
Turner?

We bought what we have always called a spatula and now it seems like they are all labelled turners! Is there a difference? Or is it spatula just an old-fashiond word?

RunnerKim
03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Well I'm 35 and I call that a spatula. I always found it confusing that a spatula was both a "turner" and what you scrape the sides of mixing bowls with. So I've been a bit grateful to see the term turner come in to play (but I've only noticed that in the last couple of years). I haven't actually starting using the term turner though because spatula is so ingrained.

Kim

sneezles
03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Well, I'm older than 45 and I grew up calling a spatula the one with the rubber head and a turner is what I use to flip pancakes. These days I use the terms interchangeably.

Hammster
03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure why the term turner is necessary. When reading a recipe it's usually pretty easy to figure out if you need the type of spatula to flip a burger or pancake or the type of spatula needed to scrape the side of a mixing bowl.

Robyn1007
03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, sorry to ruin your theory Ellen but I call them all spatulas.

EllenL
03-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah, sorry to ruin your theory Ellen but I call them all spatulas.

Darn! Here I thought I was really onto something.....:p

Valerie226
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I was always told both were spatulas, but that the correct term for the one to clean out a bowl is "rubber scraper"... but that's not right anymore either cause none are rubber anymore, so I guess silicone scraper is now correct. but they will both always be spatulas to me.

Robyn1007
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Darn! Here I thought I was really onto something.....:p

And just in case you (or others) don't know, I'm only 30.

PaniniKathy
03-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I'd never heard of the term "turner" before - I've always called it a spatula. 33-1/2 years old!

LakeMartinGal
03-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm 62, and I am a 'rubber scraper' kinda gal, with the other being a pancake turner! That said, I usually just call them both Thingies, as in, "hand me that thingie, would you?" And whoever is in my kitchen gets to guess which one I need!:D I thought it was a regional thing, though. -- guess not.

Gumbeaux
03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
In the food service industry these are often called "turners". They are similar and perform some of the same functions as a spatula but are distinctly different.

http://www.barbecuemore.com/images/gk12-turner.jpg

katygirl
03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I am a spatula/rubber spatula lady. Not sure if it's cause I have had 2 (wow, ;)) beers tonight but the word spatula just looks funny.

Canice
03-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Spatula to me.
But I think the correct word is "pancake flipper". ;)

I am over 40 now, but was under 40 when I posed the exact same question on this (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=69302&highlight=spatula) thread a couple of years ago.

And I wouldn't consider industry lingo the equivalent of daily usage: I've seen that show up on other threads and I just disregard it because it's beside the point.

cumulus
03-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I've never heard the term "turner" before--it's always been spatula/rubber spatula.

sneezles
03-22-2008, 08:56 AM
the correct term for the one to clean out a bowl is "rubber scraper"... but that's not right anymore either cause none are rubber anymore, so I guess silicone scraper is now correct. but they will both always be spatulas to me.

I'm pretty sure my Rubbermaid ones are made of rubber but I do have some silicone ones as well. And I have a bowl scraper that doesn't have a handle like the rubber spatula.

DmOrtega
03-22-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm 62, and I am a 'rubber scraper' kinda gal, with the other being a pancake turner! That said, I usually just call them both Thingies, as in, "hand me that thingie, would you?" And whoever is in my kitchen gets to guess which one I need!:D I thought it was a regional thing, though. -- guess not.

I would know excactly what you want! AND when I can think of what it's called, it's a spatual. I have a really little one from Pampered Chef that I use the most. It's the perfect size to get into the skillets and pans.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/graphics/products_200/2622_200.jpg

Now on the bbq it's called a hamburger turner. (:rolleyes:) I don't know why, probably because it's big. Besides spatual or hamburger spatula just doesn't sound right. ;)

HARRYET
03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I use the word spatular for both. I grew up on the east coast, so it doesn't appear to be regional, and i'm over 40. Now my DH calls the one for turning a "flipper". I don't know where he got that one, but we all know what he wants when he asks for it.

Ann

Kahlico
03-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Spatula - I'm 29 years old.

But this post does bring back memories of my childhood best friend. Her family's last name is Turner. In the summer, I'd go down to their lake cabin and stay with them, and every morning her dad would make us pancakes. His running joke was to ask my best friend, "Where's the turner, Turner?".

:D
Emilie

Puppylove
03-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I use spatula for something I "flip" with and scraper for something I clean a bowl out with (unless it doesn't have raw egg in it, in which case I call it my fingers!) - I'm 28.

Now the real question: is it a "remote control" or a "clicker"? :p

Cookin4Love
03-22-2008, 10:33 PM
In the food service industry these are often called "turners". They are similar and perform some of the same functions as a spatula but are distinctly different.

http://www.barbecuemore.com/images/gk12-turner.jpg

In my world, that is a "server." A spatula is the silicone thing you scrape down bowls with, and a turner is the flat thing that flips food in a pan. I used to call them all spatulas, then my more "sophisticated" friends embarrassed me about it and I began to differentiate. ;)

Kay Henderson
03-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I have always called the turner a spatula and the scraper a scraper. I have never had the thinner metal utensil that people use to ice cakes, etc. (I just use a knife.)

I looked this up in my 1964 Joy. (The 1997 edition doesn't have a section on utensils that I could find.) 1964 simply lists without defining spatula, pancake turner, and rubber scraper. Huh?

My 2004 Better Homes and Gardens lists these tools and defines them:

Rubber scrapers: Also known as rubber spatulas, these utensils are used for scraping batter from a bowl and for folding ingredients together.

Spatulas: These flat utensils can be made of metal, rubber, plastic, and wood. A turner-type spatula is used for flipping foods; a narrow, flexible, metal spatula works well for spreading. For rubber or plastic spatulas, see Rubber scrapers, above.

So that's their take on the matter.

Kay

Anne
03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
When I was growing up the rubber scrapper thing was referred to as a Scotch Licker - not PC and I have no idea where the term came from.

leightx
03-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I call pancake turners, rubber scrapers, and metal / plastic spatulas the same thing - spatula. This causes absolutely no confusion with the only cook in the house. ;)

sue harris
02-26-2012, 02:26 PM
OK, I am 60 years of age; and my 8th grade home-ec teacher was adamant about the spatula being what is known as a "cake knife" these days. She was almost angry about people calling a pancake turner a spatula. Spatulas were used for "level" measurements, such as a level teaspoon, as opposed to a teaspoon (which was slightly rounded), or a heaping (which is self-explanatory). Now I find the word spatula is used for all these things. The "rubber" scraper was also called a spatula, in her book. I believe these are the original meanings, which have changed over the past 50 years.:o;)

LakeMartinGal
02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
OK, I am 60 years of age; and my 8th grade home-ec teacher was adamant about the spatula being what is known as a "cake knife" these days. She was almost angry about people calling a pancake turner a spatula. Spatulas were used for "level" measurements, such as a level teaspoon, as opposed to a teaspoon (which was slightly rounded), or a heaping (which is self-explanatory). Now I find the word spatula is used for all these things. The "rubber" scraper was also called a spatula, in her book. I believe these are the original meanings, which have changed over the past 50 years.:o;)And this thread is 4 years old!;)

Shugness
02-26-2012, 02:42 PM
And this thread is 4 years old!;)

And look - it's a new user whose "handle" is a common first and last name. :rolleyes:

vbak
02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
i know this is old, but DH calls it a flipper, and I call it a spatula!