PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about Granite Countertops

misskitty100
03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I just read over the past threads on how to care for granite countertops and just want to ask one more question.

Is it okay to put hot dishes on granite? Say a casserole, a cookie sheet or pie right out of the oven?

DanaSD
03-26-2008, 10:58 AM
no, not if they're really hot. Its a natural stone so a quick change in temperature can cause cracking. Lighter granite may also show a mark. Our granite installers said they've seen several cracks due to crock pots (placing the inner pot on the counter).

Krysia1031
03-26-2008, 11:11 AM
We recently re-did our kitchen and had new granite countertops installed (which I love). I was told by our granite guy that granite is heat resistant and is not likely to be damaged; however, you should not expose granite to excessive heat. He told me NOT to place hot pans because it could damage the sealer and it could crack the granite as well.

I have never done it, but that being said a close friend of mine puts hot pans, baking sheets, etc on her counter-tops and has never had any issues. I guess for me, the amount I paid for the granite was a nice chunk of change $$$ and I don't want to take a chance.

Hope this helps.

cocoa'smom
03-26-2008, 11:39 AM
I always have put hot pans directly out of the oven onto my granite and have never had a problem. Now I probably wouldn't put a cast iron skillet or something that REALLY holds the heat, but I always put baking pans, casserole dishes, etc. directly from the oven with no problems. We've had our granite for 8 years.

Canice
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd be equally concerned about cracking the casserole, no?

Cookin4Love
03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I put everything directly on my granite. Maybe I shouldn't, but the installers didn't mention it. Like Canice, I've worried more about a hot baking dish cracking after coming into contact with the cold granite in the winter. Perhaps I should get the trivets out of storage and start using them again!

Curiosity Hears
03-26-2008, 12:39 PM
I too have been putting hot pans and dishes right on the granite for years now with no problems. :confused: In fact, I did not know that I shouldn't be doing this.

gigicancook
03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
I am a freak of nature when it comes to protecting my granite. I keep lucite or wooden counter protectors near the stove and sink, also I use the square sample piece as a trivet near the oven. We never put hot things right on the granite.

My mother lives with us and has managed to chip the granite in a few places. Not sure how she does it.:confused: But I have friends who do everything from rolling out dough to cutting things right on it.:eek: Our granite people told us not to get oils on it.

It's a lot of extra care, but for what it costs, I don't plan on ever replacing it.

Couperine
03-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Our granite people give the same advice about not putting hot things on the countertop; I've had varying surfaces over the years, and I got into the habit of sticking hot things on empty parts of my cooktop or onto a cooling rack. If you were already putting your hot things onto something else, you're probably just going to continue your habit.

misskitty100
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
But I have friends who do everything from rolling out dough to cutting things right on it.:eek: Our granite people told us not to get oils on it.

You are not supposed to roll out dough on granite? Like cookies or pie crust???

gigicancook
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I have never done it, and like I said I freak out if I see a water ring on it. I would think the oily dough would leave a spot, but I have never tried it.

misskitty100
03-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Anyone else? Does everyone refrain from rolling out dough on your granite? If so, what do you use instead?

BucknellAlum
03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I am guilty of:

Putting hot dishes right on the granite

Slicing bread on the granite

Rolling out crostata dough on the granite

Not sealing my granite once in 7 years!!

I clean my counters with a teflon-pan type scrubbie and dish detergent, then rinse with a separate clean sponge. That gets off any residue from dough, play-doh, syrup drips, etc etc. In between, I use Method's granite spray cleaner.

I should point out that I have UbaTuba granite, and I think that probably hides a multitude of sins. I still think granite is a pretty durable, easy to maintain surface. I don't know anyone who has chipped theirs or hurt it in any way. One neighbor with a very light color had a ring from red wine that was not cleaned up right away, but that is about it for problems that I have heard of.

cocoa'smom
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
I am guilty of:

I clean my counters with a teflon-pan type scrubbie and dish detergent, then rinse with a separate clean sponge. That gets off any residue from dough, play-doh, syrup drips, etc etc. In between, I use Method's granite spray cleaner.

I should point out that I have UbaTuba granite, and I think that probably hides a multitude of sins. I still think granite is a pretty durable, easy to maintain surface. I don't know anyone who has chipped theirs or hurt it in any way. One neighbor with a very light color had a ring from red wine that was not cleaned up right away, but that is about it for problems that I have heard of.

Ditto all of the above for me (except for maybe the slicing bread, but that's more for protecting the knife than the counter and I do sometimes cut sandwiches with a butter knife directly on the counter). I also have UbaTuba and have not sealed it in 8 years! Whatever the fabricator sealed it with originally is still holding strong. I will say that the counters under our wine area that don't get much hard use are shinier than the others, but the others still look good.

Blissful_in_TX
03-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I've never done it but I thought granite was supposed to be especially good for rolling out dough due to the cold smooth surface?

We just had granite installed in our new kitchen. I didn't talk to the granite guy.....how do I know if it was sealed or not? Do they usually seal it?

TwinMom
03-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm guilty of putting hot items directly on the counter. I was afraid to do it and for the first several times I would only do it on the smallest piece of granite so if something did happen it would only be one cabinet's width to replace! Now I put right on the big island and (knock on wood) no problems.

I roll out cookie dough, etc as well and just clean it up! No problems. Only things that have developed over time are hard water deposits by the faucets that I have to periodically do some serious scrubbing on.

As far as sealing, it depends upon the type of granite. A lot of granites don't need to be sealed at all, even though most fabricators do it. On the gardenweb forums, there was a very knowledgeable granite fabricator that was stauchly against sealing, unless the granite required it. The basic test he recommended to everyone to determine if a particular type of granite needed sealing was, get a sample from the store, put lemon juice in one spot and red wine on another spot. Let it sit overnight. If there is a stain from either, the granite needs to be sealed, otherwise, leave it natural.

We have had not stains from anything that spilled on our granite for 4.5 years with no sealer (tan brown granite). So far so good for us.

I used to use specific granite cleaner, now I use Shaklee Basic H2 cleaner with a miracle cloth. The miracle cloth is key to cleaning granite IMHO.

BarbaraL
03-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm planning to get a granite countertop in my bathroom. Would a curling iron or flat-iron be a problem? I hadn't really considered it.

DanaSD
03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I tk a curling iron would be fine - if they do touch the surface its such a small are that would touch due to their shape. Like I said, my installer has only seen issues with the large ceramic crockpot inserts.

RecipeGirl
03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I put hot things on my granite countertops all the time. No problems at all.

I also don't have any trouble with rolling out dough on my countertop.

What I'm careful of:
*If I spill something oily on my countertop, I clean it up immediately. I once left a loaf of banana bread on the counter and it left a big, oily loaf mark on my countertop. It went away after a few days though... thankfully!
*If I spill food dye/coloring on the countertop- I clean that up right away too. THe color tends to soak into the granite and then it's tough to clean up.

Lauren
03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
I am guilty of:

Ditto! I think the darker colors are more forgiving. I put hot pots on mine, use it for dough, etc. We've had it for over two years and never sealed it, but I do have that chore on DH's "honey do list."

LakeMartinGal
03-28-2008, 09:56 AM
I've heard that red wine can stain granite...:(