PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been on vacation to India?

beckms
04-04-2008, 09:37 PM
My mom has a fantasy about travelling to India. I know nothing about India. has anyone travelled there? Any recommendations about where to start researching?

thanks!

kwormann
04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Hello :)

My boyfriend is a native - and is actually leaving next Sat for a 2 week visit to his family. While there they are going on vacation. If you can give me some more info, I can get him to help.

For example, does she want to see cities, mountains - the north, south, east, west (all very distinctly different - Bo is from West Bengal in the east).

I will try to get him to help more tomorrow. :)

aggie94
04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Rebecca,

My bosses vacationed in India last Christmas for 3 weeks on a tour with Tauck. If you're interested, I'd be happy to put you in touch with them for more information. We could even meet for dinner or something - they love to talk travel and have great stories and pictures.

Lauren
04-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Several years ago my in-laws went to India. they enjoyed it so much they returned a year or two later. I'll ask what they enjoyed the best.

shscharles
04-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Like the others, I could help more with more info re her interests... however, I used to take groups to India and have been many times. Like the United States it is vast, and varied.

Most people, on the first trip do the New Delhi, Jaiphur, Agra (Taj Mahal) triangle. A good travel agent could steer you toward a reputable tour agency. If you do this, please don't miss Fatephur Sikri...just a few miles from Agra and neglected by many tourists, it's a deserted city built by Akhbar the Great (his second wife called him Akhbar the Adequate...ba dum DUM:D) and one of the highlights of India.

There is a huge difference between a three star and a four star hotel in India...and you can't go wrong in an Oberoi hotel. I'll keep an eye out for this thread...

ggs830
04-05-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm Indian, my parents were born and raised in India, so I've been there several times. We usually visit family in Mumbai and Bangalore, but we've done some traveling.

As others have said, what is your mom interested in seeing? The Taj Mahal and the Red Fort are obvious tourist destinations, but there are other lovely spots throughout the country. Jaipur, a desert city, is supposed to be beautiful (although I've never been), as are the hill stations of North India. There are beautiful tea planations in the North that are just gorgeous (again, I've never been).

In the South, which I'm more familiar with, Kerala has lovely spas and resorts on the Arabian Sea. Kanya Kumari, which is the very southern tip of India (it's where 3 bodies of water meet-- the Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal) is beautiful. I've been to Goa many times, which is another resort destination very popular with European tourists. There are lovely beaches and shopping to be had, but also some beautiful old temples and forts to see. For a more urban experience, you can't beat Mumbai, which is an adventure all by itself. There is great shopping, great food, great night life, museums and some really lovely architecture leftover from the colonial British era. There are also some tourist spots near to Mumbai that would make good day trips.

Whatever she does, your mom will have a great adventure. Have fun!

wallycat
04-05-2008, 08:27 AM
DH did a motorcycle tour group the year we met and am sure I can prod him to relive it all if you want specifics.
He was in jaipur, deli, varnassi, allahabad, Corbett tiger preserve, lucknow, naini tal, taj mahal, khajuraho, and at least a dozen more other areas.....
Is she planning a solo trip? a tour guided trip?

One thing DH said was it was HOT there...oye, I'm glad we just met and he didn't ask me to go. I'm dying to see India but not sure I'd survive the heat :(

shscharles
04-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Another thought, if she's intimidated at all by the crowds, etc. Palace On Wheels is a luxurious way to see the northern sector by train...people I've known that did that all have raved...

Also, further down the coast is Cochin...lovely little city...and canals built by the Dutch to move the rice crops and now can be cruised in converted rice barges complete with bedroom, servants, all meals cooked for you, stops along the way...a way to see rural India at her most serene and beautiful.

laurathurston
11-07-2013, 02:13 AM
India abounds with tourist places to cater to the different sensibilities and needs. Immense geographical diversity along with cultural richness beckons people from around the world to visit tourist places in India and explore its rich heritage and variety of experiences. Tourism in Corbett National Park has been steadily growing since its inception. Corbett national park tourist places (http://focuztours.com/destination/corbett-national-park-tourist-places.html) are not just a typical national park, but a primal jungle that captures the imagination of many with its breath-taking beauty and diversity.