PDA

View Full Version : ISO good use for two sticks of partially melted butter...

breadmama
04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I was going to make a double batch of gingerbread - forgot to check to see if I had enough molasses to pull that off. I don't. Sigh.

So, now I have a bowl with two partially melted sticks of butter...and a hankering to make something sweet and fairly healthy (at least from a whole grains perspective...never mind about the butter...)

I just brought home a sick son from school, and baking seemed to be a comforting thing to do.

Any good bar cookie/cake/loaf bread recipes that I could use to use up the butter? I was planning to make a double batch of whatever, so I could freeze one - so the original recipe could be for one stick of butter...You can tell I wanted to splurge - I hardly ever bake with that much butter!

Thanks a lot!

Linda in MO
04-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I'd make Alton Brown's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. :cool:

ljt2r
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
ATK's Blondies, which call for 1 1/2 sticks of melted butter. You could always use whole wheat pastry flour in them. ;)

sharsd
04-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Here's a recipe for Soft Oatmeal Cookies that I've always enjoyed. I usually add raisins or cranberries & white choc. chips to the dough. I've made them with White Whole Wheat Flour and they turned out great.

Soft Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats

In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

bobmark226
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Have you got any dark honey in the house like buckwheat? You could stick to your gingerbread recipe, use that (or any other honey, for that matter), reducing the quantity a fair amount because the honey would be so much sweeter. Or maybe a blend of dark brown sugar and regular, or light brown.

Bob

slknight
04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd make Alton Brown's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. :cool:

That's what I was going to recommend as well. Those are my "go-to" CC cookie recipe.

Recipe is on this thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=102677&highlight=alton+chocolate+chip)

breadmama
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.cookiemadness.net/index.php?paged=3

I don't know how to make this a link, but the above address is the page where Anna describes how she adapted (slightly) Joe's recipe from the Everyday Food site.

I followed her subs, and used 1 cup all purpose, and the rest whole wheat pastry flour. I used cranberries and chocolate chunks, and left out the nuts.

They are very good - very good - and I know my family will love them. Sadly, I will need to exercise a ton of willpower here.

And the sick one doesn't think they sound appealing right now...he must really be sick!:D Warm out of the oven...mmm...

BTW, Zingerman's now charges ~$2.99 for their Chocolate Chunk cookies. They are wonderful - but I decided that I should just try to make some on my own, with top quality ingredients, rather than pay that kind of money! (I had a little road trip there this weekend, and did some sampling and stocking up.)

Thank you for your suggestions - I'll keep them in mind for future splurges!:)

knunes
04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
That's what I was going to recommend as well. Those are my "go-to" CC cookie recipe.

Recipe is on this thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=102677&highlight=alton+chocolate+chip)

When I saw two sticks of partially melted butter, these were my first thought too!
:D