PDA

View Full Version : Yummy light cake

Leanne
07-23-2001, 10:29 AM
I had to share this cake - I got the recipe from a friend of mine - but altered it slightly.

They made theirs completely from scratch - I used a box for the cake part.

Cherry chocolate angel food cake

1 oz finely chopped semi sweet chocolate
10 oz jar marichino (sp?) cherries - juice reserved, chopped

1 box fat free angel food cake mix

Chop cherries & chocolate. Make cake according to directions (essentially add water & blend). Fold in cherries & chocolate. Bake & cool according to directions.

1 tbsp corn syrup
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp butter
juice from cherries
1 oz semi sweet chocolate

Heat the corn syrup, butter & chocolate until it melts. add juice & powdered sugar. Stir/heat until it's a good glaze consistency. Pour over cake when the cake has cooled.

It's really easy & good/different.

Chef Cindy
07-25-2001, 12:30 AM
Leanne, thanks for posting your cake recipe. It sound very nice and light. A good fresh taste for a summer meal.
I have a question about the glaze. Do you think it can served as a sauce? I thought it would be nice to have it on the plate with the cake and maybe a couple of the cherries. Do you think this would work or does it set up too much?

gabbyh
07-25-2001, 07:28 AM
Leanne,
Thanks for the great recipe...I usually make the "crushed pineapple angelfood cake"...this sounds like a delightful change! I'll be trying it soon :cool:

Leanne
07-25-2001, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Chef Cindy
Do you think it can served as a sauce? I thought it would be nice to have it on the plate with the cake and maybe a couple of the cherries. Do you think this would work or does it set up too much?

It does set up but not totally stiff. It stays gooey kind of, if that makes sense. I think that if you waited to make the glaze until you served it (it's pretty quick) then it would stay runny on the plate. (although runny is not the correct word - maybe like a thick syrup.)

Chef Cindy
07-26-2001, 11:06 AM
Thanks Leanne for the info. Gooey is a great description. It gives me a very good idea what the glaze is like. I will give it a try. Thanks again.