PDA

View Full Version : My garbage disposal died

Robyncz
04-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Since I have this opportunity to replace something functional with something BETTER, I thought I'd get some input.

My plumber carries the basic insinkerator Badger 1/2 horsepower disposer at a ridiculously marked-up price, so I'm probably going to order one online and have him install it for me.

The question is, has anyone installed one of the newer "quieter" disposers, like one of the ones from insinkerators "Evolution" series? If so, do you think it's worth the extra money?

blazedog
04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Don't know about the quieter kinds but I run mine for such bursts of time and there really isn't ever a time when I need to be quiet for 30 seconds or so lest I disturb something. I did get the ultra quiet Bosch DW because my kitchen and living area is all in one large space and a DW runs for a long period of time -- I am in the kitchen when I am using the disposal whereas I am doing other stuff while my DW is draining.

I do know that advice was to get at least the 3/4 HP Insinkerator -- mine might even be 1 HP.

RebeccaT
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
We got the insinkerator evolution last year when we renovated the kitchen in our new house, and I LOVE it! It's super strong, super fast, and it really is pretty quiet. I shopped around and ended up getting it on eBay from a dealer for a great "buy it now" price, less than what HD and Lowes were charging for the Badger.

ETA: We have the Evolution Compact, and it more than meets our needs. I saw no reason for the more souped-up models that had higher capacity, and after using it for almost a year I think I made the right choice. http://http://www.insinkerator.com/product/product.php?id=203&template=hhd

Beth
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I have the Evolution Compact at our prep sink and it is quieter, powerful and works very well. I would have one at the main sink, but the mega Insinkerator that pre-dates the Evolution series was something we'd had to replace already and was the only thing we kept from the old kitchen when we remodeled. If I were buying new, I'd get an Evolution.

DO NOT get a Badger. Do get something 3/4 or 1 HP.

Robyncz
04-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Thank you for your quick and helpful responses. I have a Evolution Compact sitting here at my feet for exactly what the plumber wanted for the Badger. I could have ordered it online for $10 to $15 less, but I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped. I've had a garbage disposal my entire life, and I can't tell you how much stuff I've had to dig out of there since mine died the other night. I can't seem to get my head around the fact that it's not going to work when I flip the switch!! I decided to pay the $15 difference so I could stop putting my hand down that slimy hole as soon as possible!

Robyncz
04-24-2008, 10:01 PM
My Insinkerator Evolution Compact has been installed and I'm thrilled with it. My plumber was skeptical. He said in his experience the lower-end "quiet" models weren't noticably quieter than the Badger. But then we dropped some baby carrots in and he became a convert.

It's so much more powerful than my old disposal, too.

Thanks, Rebecca, for pointing me in the right direction!!

Beth
04-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Glad you are liking it. We made a convert out of the electrician who was over here a day after he installed one of the noisier models for another customer. He said he didn't know they could be that quiet. I didn't notice Rebecca's comment about the capacity on the earlier note, but I agree. We got the compact because we needed to in the smaller island sink space, but when we someday replace the main sink dosposal, I would be quite comfortable using the compact there too.

RebeccaT
04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Glad you are happy with your new Evolution! I never knew that I had the ability to obsess over something as mundane as a garbage disposal, but then again, I obsessed over many, many things (toilets?? what??) when we were doing our renovation. But this is one decision I am glad that I researched as heavily as I did.