PDA

View Full Version : Do you speak text message?

NancyR
04-22-2008, 07:46 AM
DH just got a text message that I assume was a wrong number. It wishes him a "happy 420". Is that code between the wrong # people or does it mean something?

Also, Is BFF best f*g friend or best friend forever (or something else)?

Sorry I am such a text dork

linsleyd
04-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Happy 420 means that April 20 (4/20) is a, well just read this:

http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.asp

I've always thought BFF was best friends forever....

testkitchen45
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
DH just got a text message that I assume was a wrong number. It wishes him a "happy 420". Is that code between the wrong # people or does it mean something?

I just read the Snopes link, and if you did, too, you might be freaking out right about now. One little FYI: I have received, over a few months, a couple of text messages from goodness-knows-who. They are clearly wrong numbers, from an area code I don't recognize. They're along the lines of "s*it, how's your day goin'; I'm so bored." Really high-end stuff. ;) Anyway, just noting that it is possible to receive a wrong-number text message. :)

Robyn1007
04-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Is it bad that I knew right away that 420 referred to marijuana? :eek: I swear I've only tried it once and all it did was make me want to eat, I don't need any help with that. But, I live in Colorado and it's widely used here. In fact we actually have a store open to sell medical marijuana up in Ft. Collins.

KristiB
04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I've never tried pot but I have tried text messaging and would rather talk to someone. :)

Chris415
04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless your DH knows the person, it's a text message sp*m! I got a text message a few months back, from someone who saw my profile :confused:. My mom received something similar, which piqued my radar. Did a search online with the telephone number and discovered it was a text message sp*m. That was the only one I have received so far, but Verizon said you can block text messages if it becomes a problem. Unfortunately, the receiver is the one who ends up paying. :(

And I too am embarrassed to say I knew exactly what 420 meant!:eek:
Chris

jmarie
04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Also, you don't have to smoke pot to see the humor in 4:20. My daughter once had a poster that asked:

"It's 4:20, do you know what your child is doing?"

She thought it was so funny when I thought that it was a question for the parents of latch key children thinking that is the time they got home from school.:o We both had a good laugh when she explained.

We also have a picture of she and her two best friends in high school. One girl holding out 4 fingers, another 2 fingers and the last holding up a zero made with her fingers.

This might be a time for a discussion. We had it and it was just a cool phase.

That, plus a college in Colorado has a 4:20 party, that made big news......A yearly event on 4/20 at 4:20. You should have seen the haze that lifted over that campus as you watched the countdown. There was a link to it on the Comcast webpage...it was pretty funny.

bobmark226
04-22-2008, 09:59 AM
The use of 4/20 predates text messaging!

Wikipedia:

4:20 or 4/20 (pronounced four-twenty) is a term used in North America as a discreet way to refer to the consumption of cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with the drug subculture around cannabis. Phrases such as "420 friendly" sometimes appear in roommate advertisements, indicating that the current occupants are tolerant of cannabis users

Origins and observances

Although many diverse theories exist to explain the origin of the term, one central root of the phrase stems from a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California in 1971; the teens would meet after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke cannabis at the Louis Pasteur statue. The term became part of their group's salute, "420 Louis!", and became popularized in the late 1980s by fans of The Grateful Dead. Many North American cannabis users continue to observe 4:20 as a time to smoke communally. By extension April 20 ("4/20" in U.S. dating shorthand) has evolved into a counterculture holiday, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis. In some locations this celebration coincides with Earth Week.

jjsooner73
04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I didn't know what 420 meant, though I did read about Boulder's celebration yesterday!

clairea
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I had no idea what 420 meant, but DH likes Sweetwater 420 (which was mentioned in the Snopes link). I wonder if he knows where the name comes from?

Robyn1007
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
That, plus a college in Colorado has a 4:20 party, that made big news......A yearly event on 4/20 at 4:20. You should have seen the haze that lifted over that campus as you watched the countdown. There was a link to it on the Comcast webpage...it was pretty funny.

Colorado is a pretty laidback state as far as 420 use goes (as in the drug). I don't use but I have friends that do and I don't think twice about it. I ride chairlifts frequently smelling it so I know either someone ahead of my is toking or there's someone hiding in the trees. Heck, we tried to get my aunt to use it during chemo for pain/nausea relief. I believe the college you are referring to is CU Boulder.

jjsooner73
04-22-2008, 11:08 AM
I read an article about the CU celebration; one girl (age 19) said the amount of weed there figured into her college choice. Can't wait until she starts applying for jobs and talking about her college experience. :D

I know plenty of people who do it or have done it. I never have, but have no problem with it.

Cookin4Love
04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Thought you guys might find this thread from another forum interesting--Looking for 420 baking ideas (http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56542). :rolleyes::p

bobmark226
04-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Thought you guys might find this thread from another forum interesting--Looking for 420 baking ideas (http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=56542). :rolleyes::p

Smoothie says:

don't use sugar. sugar works against the THC. use agave instead.

Finally, a use for that bottle of agave I got from TJs last week! I was wondering what I could use it for. :)

Bob

Cookin4Love
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Right, but I went to Whole Foods AND the Farmer's Market and couldn't find any pot. Could I substitute leaves from my tomato plant? :D

bobmark226
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Right, but I went to Whole Foods AND the Farmer's Market and couldn't find any pot.

Did you look in the Asian section for Taste of Thai? :)

Bob

AzAnne
04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
:p

This reminded me of a show i caught the other night on discovery health.
I think Mystery Diagnosis.

Premise is older woman is brought to the emergency room bu her college age grandson. She's complaining of not feeling right, something is wrong. Heart Attack? Stoke? She is overbearing and demanding, dr orders all kinds of tests, nothing found. woman is getting madder and madder... Finally dr orders a urine test.... Test comes back as positive for marijuana :D :eek:

Apparently GS had brought some yummy brownies back from college :p

LakeMartinGal
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
The first time I ever even smelled pot was at an Eagles concert in the early 90's! And I was in college in the 60's:eek:! But you know the old adage, "If you remember the 60's, you weren't there!":p

DD2 knew all about 420!

Cookin4Love
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Did you look in the Asian section for Taste of Thai? :)

Bob

Here I go wiping Diet Coke off my computer again.