PDA

View Full Version : Need Zucchini Bread Help

Heidi
07-28-2000, 02:46 PM
Help! I have made the Chocolate Wave Zucchini Bread recipe (that someone posted a little while ago) three times now, all with the same results. The bread has been very yummy all three times. The problem comes when I try to turn it out of the pan. All three times now, to varying degrees, huge chunks of the bread have stuck to the pan, leaving my finished loaf looking just terrible.

I have tried using both pyrex and metal loaf pans, with no difference in results. I have also used crisco, butter, and spray coating to grease the pans (not all at once!) and nothing has worked. The recipe does not call for flouring the pan. Would that make a difference?

Does anyone have any advice for me? I know this is a dumb problem to have, but I am still a pretty beginner cook. I would love to give this bread to my neighbors to use up my huge zucchini supply, but can't let it out of the house looking so bad! Please help me!

Thanks, Heidi

Denise
07-28-2000, 02:49 PM
I would definately try flouring the pan, or you might even dust it with breadcrumbs. Another thing I do is just line the pan with tinfoil before I pour the batter in and spray the tinfoil with cooking spray.

Nicole
07-28-2000, 03:35 PM
Heidi -
You may want to line the pan with parchment paper. You should have no trouble with sticking then - it should just slide right out of the pan, then take the paper off and viola - a perfect loaf! This is what I always do for cakes and it works very well. You can even just cut a piece of parchemnt to fit in the bottom and before you take the bread out of the pan, run a knife (spatula, etc.) around the edges to loosen them. Hope this helps. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Vanessa
07-30-2000, 12:03 AM
Heidi
I have not made that recipe but when I do make zucchini bread or choc zucchini bread
it takes @ 1 hr to bake. Also I use the dark 9 x 5 loaf pan and spray with Pam. Because the loaf is hot from the oven I wait a few minutes to gently turn it into a wire rack to cool.
I do insert a cake tester in the middle to check if its done since sometimes (could be the weather) it needs 5 mins longer.
I made this recipe succesfully last year & I did follow the recipe below exactly as it is.
I don't have the other recipes I make at hand now but try this one http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

Chocolate zucchini bread (low fat)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch-process
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large egg, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup Fruit Puree Fat Replacement
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 cups zucchini, grated

Estimated Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 min.

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees F). Lightly oil 8-by-4-inch loaf pans as needed or coat them with nonstick spray [original recipe makes 2 loaves].

2. Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until fragrant. Set aside to cool.

3. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.

4. In another large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, fruit-based fat replacement, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate until blended. Add dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in zucchini and reserved walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared pans, smoothing tops.

5. Bake loaves for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and cool completely. (The bread will keep, well wrapped, at room temperature for 1 to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.)

[This message has been edited by Vanessa (edited 07-30-2000).]

KimKelly
07-30-2000, 12:21 AM
Heidi... I'm the one who posted the Chocolate Wave recipe. I'm so glad you liked it! We love it.

Anyway... I haven't made it since last year, but I do seem to remember having the same problem some of the time. If I remember correctly (A big IF!) I did end up lining the bottom of the pan with the parchment paper. I know I did that for something, and I'm thinking it was this. Hope this helped.

One time I think I even just left it in the pan and sliced it from there -

Kim

LynnSC
07-30-2000, 07:05 AM
Heidi,
When I bake cakes,I use a product called Baker's Joy that you spray like Pam. It has "oil" and flour all in one spray. That might help. Good luck.

The chocolate zucchini recipe looks yummy !
Lynn http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by LynnSC (edited 07-30-2000).]

ColoradoCook
07-30-2000, 02:39 PM
This sounds so good. Looked for the recipe but can't get to the thread the search engine finds--just get "unknown file" or something like that.

I use the following "trick" to insure that nut breads and things like that slip right out of their pans; maybe it will help.

Grease and flour pan (or spray). Then, after removing from over, immediately place pan on a folded dishtowel that has been completely wet in hot water and wrung out. The pan may even sizzle. Let it sit on towel for about 5 minutes, then loosen with knife or thin spatula, hold protected hand over top, "shake" to loosen, invert and turn out. As you shake the pan, the bread loosens.

This is so hard to explain. If I could just show you. Anyway, maybe this will help and it's easy once you get the feel of it. Good luck.

Beth
07-30-2000, 11:05 PM
When I make banana or zucchini bread, I usually spray the pan with cooking spray (or grease it), then line it with a piece of waxed paper almost the length of your pan by laying it across side to side (don't worry about the ends). When you take the bread out, loosen the ends with a knife, and you should be able to turn out the loaf without any problem.

Also, some cakes turn out of the pan easier while still hot out of the oven, and others do better if they cool a little first. I haven't made this one, so I can't say about it. The waxed paper has always worked for me.

andreajackson
07-30-2000, 11:19 PM
Will someone please post the Chocolate Wave recipe please?
I also have a question, what is fruit puree fat replacement and where would I find it in the grocery store? Thanks for your help!

KimKelly
07-30-2000, 11:47 PM
Andrea... her ya go. As for the fruit puree fat replacement, I have used unsweetened applesauce with pretty good results. I have also been known to use a spare jar of babyfood - prunes, apricots, etc. too. I know there is a product that is an actual replacement, but I have never used it. Actually ... when it comes to dessert, I'm a full fat kind a gal! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif My husband laughs, when I go out to eat I always read the desserts first to see just how light I should make my dinner...

Enjoy!

Kim

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Wave Zucchini Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup shortening
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 2/3 Cups ALL-Purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice -- or ground cinnamon and cloves
1/3 cup chopped nuts
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/3 cup miniature chocolate chip

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.) Grease on 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar. Mix in eggs. Add zucchini, water and vanilla. Stir. Blend in flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and spices. Stir in nuts.
Divide batter in half. Add cocoa powder and chocolate chips to one of the halves. Pour plain batter into bottom the loaf pan. Pour chocolate batter on top of plain batter.
Bake until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean - about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. Store in refrigerator.

Description:
"Moist and chocolaty with a neat layered look."
Source:
"Bread Recipe.com"
Yield:
"1 loaf"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I used plain chocolate chips in place of mini's.

[This message has been edited by KimKelly (edited 07-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by KimKelly (edited 07-30-2000).]

Vanessa
07-31-2000, 10:38 AM
Andrea
The fat fruit replacement is sold in the area where you get your oil, shortening etc.
I use Sunsweet (its a glass jar & refrigerate after opening). You can also make your own prune puree. I use Sunsweet in the chocolate recipe I posted and in black bottom cheesecake cups (C Light-Sept 95)
Oh you can by Lekvar Prune butter
Prune butter
Combine in food processor and process 5 seconds:
1/3 c pitted prunes
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp light colored corn syrup
With processor on slowly add 2 tablespoons water through water chute; process until smooth, scraping bowl frequently

Natasha
08-01-2000, 07:26 PM
Here is another recipe for a fruit puree fat replacement, though I prefer Vanessa s - it looks much easier! (I haven t made this one, which is from Eating Well Sept. 1997):

2 ripe but firm medium pears, well washed
2 medium apples, well washed
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lecithin granules

1. Cut fruit into eights (do not core); place in a heavy medium saucepan. Add water, lemon juice and lecithin and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring and mashing fruit occasionally, until mushy, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2. Press through a fine sieve (or food mill fitted with a fine grate) into a bowl. It will have an applesauce-like texture. Let cool completely. (Will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.)
Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
Per tbsp: 15 cals; 0 g protein; 0 g fat; 3 g carbs; 0.5 g fiber

Kathy
08-08-2000, 09:44 AM
I am posting a response so that people who are looking for this recipe don't have to search so hard! I hate searches!