PDA

View Full Version : Oye Senora Bean Queen! Question from a Frijolita!!

KValley
07-24-2001, 02:40 PM
Phoebe (or ANY Bean Master),

I made a large, well, GARGANTUAN pot of black beans; I wasn't certain of the ratio between dried and cooked and I needed six cups cooked, so I winged it. I have at least twice this amount. No problemo.

I'm happy with the consistency- they are soft and silky black- very pretty. For the recipe I am making, I need to rinse and drain the appropriate amount. Fine.

Here is my preguntita: There is still a fair amount of liquid. Should I store the leftover beans in this liquid, or should I rinse and drain these as well, for future use? How long do cooked beans last, or perhaps more precisely- how long will they keep?

Gracias,

Julie (aka Frijolita )

SusieO
07-24-2001, 02:53 PM
I am nowhere near Bean Queen status, but I regularly cook large quantities of beans and freeze them. Phoebe may shudder, but I do drain off most of the liquid, and freeze them two cups at a time (about the amount in one can) in ziploc bags. This way, I have an assortment of beans ready to defrost and eat whenever I need them.

Gail
07-24-2001, 03:26 PM
ˇAy, ay, ay, ay, ay...!

Save the liquid, amiga. When having beans and rice, the beans are soupy and mixed with white rice. Unlike the icky tinny tasting liquid in their canned counterparts, the stuff from fresh beans is normally tasty-- especially if you enhanced your beans by adding good stuff like lots of onion, garlic, green peppers, comino, bay leaf, something bacony or porklike and maybe even some chile or chile powder. If you don't need the liquid in whatever you're serving, you can always drain it as needed, but my Cuban genes scream, "keep the liquid."

BTW, black beans generally get oodgy and unpleasant after about a week. If you've got a ton, you can freeze them with the liquid as well.

Jewel
07-24-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Gail
especially if you enhanced your beans by adding good stuff like lots of onion, garlic, green peppers, comino, bay leaf, something bacony or porklike and maybe even some chile or chile powder.

Gail I'm really curious...what is 'porklike' and where do I find the stuff? :p

Gail
07-24-2001, 04:05 PM
Right next to the bacony products...

Ohioan
07-24-2001, 04:36 PM
No, no, don't throw out the lovely bean broth! First of all, Gail is right: most rice-and-bean dishes need a soupy base, as does pasta e fagioli, which I just had for dinner tonight. If you drain off the cooking liquid and then add other liquid later for these dishes, you'll literally water down the taste of the beans.

Also, y'know all those recipes that require you to add 1/4 cup of chicken or vegetable broth, and you tear your hair out, yelling, "And where the blazes [or whatever expletive you prefer] am I supposed to get it, and what the blazes am I supposed to do with the rest of the stuff [assuming you've made a potful or opened a canful] after taking out a quarter of a cupful?"

Well, okay, that's a pretty long yell. You don't have to do it all in one breath. ;) Anyway, the answer is: Forget the veg/chick stock. Use Bean Broth! Even if you don't want to use all the broth from the beans in one recipe, pour some off and refrigerate it in a jar. It'll keep a week in the fridge, or freeze some in ice cube trays.

Cheers,
Phoebe

kwormann
07-24-2001, 05:58 PM
mmmmm bean broth........

KValley
07-24-2001, 05:59 PM
ˇMuchas gracias para sus respuestas excelentes! So, I'm keeping the some liquid for future (near future) uses, freezing some beans for a rainy day, and I have designated next week "La Semana de los Frijoles Negros"- I have loads of yummy BBBB recipes (Bulletin Board Black Beans) to try with the rest!

Now, let's pray I don't have a question about Turkish cooking- I wouldn't know where to begin in my language-mangling! :)

Thank you all!!

karen w
07-24-2001, 06:22 PM
With my head bowed to your royal majesty of the bean, I want to thank you for all your ultimate wisdom!! This past month I decided to try my hand at making dry beans instead of reaching for the can opener due to all of you who said the flavor just can't be beat. Well, I am now a convert! I made a whole bag of black beans and froze them(liquid and all) in 2c. portions in disposable tupperwares. Tonight my husband and I had the

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos that were posted on this BB from a Moosewood cookbook. They were wonderful. I made the salsa Roja(from CL) to go with them and a sauteed zucchini and corn side dish. My husband's only complaint was that I'll probably never make them again because I repeat things so seldomly lately! Even my very fussy 5 yr. old liked the cumin-coriander spiced bean mixture!!!

I've just added dry black beans and white beans to the grocery list...gotta stock the freezer!
Thanks,
Karen W.