PDA

View Full Version : Elementary School Yucky Foods Contest

Jazzmatazz49
05-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I wasn't sure how to name this thread, but our elementary school is having a "Fear Factor" competition at Field Day, complete with gross foods. In the past they have had wild boar tongue (sculptured Spam in red-dyed syrup), cow snot (cottage cheese in Italian dressing) and a few other delights. Any ideas for this year? I am not in charge of this, but have been asked for some ideas. It has to be edible, but barely.:D The students pay a dollar to buy a raffle ticket and the winners get to compete. The grosser the better, remember these are mostly fourth and fifth grade boys.

Sara_R
05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I think I've seen it in a catalog but there is a mold you can use for jello that looks like a brain. I know my 3rd grade DS would love it.

mrswaz
05-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Hmm. What about shiritake noodles in a brown gravy or something similar...thinking of earthworms.

Okay, this may be look bad, but...You could bake up some boxed brownies, and then actually use it like modeling clay and shape some "droppings" with it. Maybe add a handful of sprouts to give it some texture. :cool:

Okay, editing to add that you could take the droppings above, flatten them out a bit, and roll them in pop rocks- call it "fresh from the litterbox". Wouldn't taste so bad to an elementary school student, but the mere idea of eating litter...ugh.

testkitchen45
05-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Catbox Cake. :eek: Google for it--it's all over the Internet.

I'd also check the old Halloween foods threads for ideas. I hope you'll post whatever you end up using, b/c they could be great Halloween 2008 ideas. ;)

Julie O
05-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Doesn't school lunch food automatically count? :eek:

They also sell heart jello molds.

Maybe you should look at those Halloween sites that have fun gross foods. What about those finger cookies that Martha Stewart does?

Julie O
05-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I thought of one other thing.

Insect lollipops.
http://www.teachersource.com/BiologyLifeScience/InsectCandy.aspx

http://www.teachersource.com/Images/Product/md/bug160.jpg

Home Chef
05-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I've made "bat blood" cocktails before. You pour orange juice into a glass, add a couple tablespoons of bat blood (grenadine syrup) the blood layers under the juice. I took the label off of the jar of "bat blood".

Jazzmatazz49
05-08-2008, 08:39 PM
You guys are truly evil. Thanks for the great ideas. The brownie poop and bat blood especially sound good. The insect lollipops might be pushing it since they have REAL insects! And anything that resembles worms is perfect. Other ideas are appreciated, and I'm off to look at Halloween sites. I hadn't thought of that.

Jazzmatazz49
05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Here's what we are having tomorrow at our Fear Factor contest:

Beetles n Juice (sliced water chestnuts in Kitchen Bouquet)
Cow Snot (cottage cheese in molasses)
Cat Hearts (whole beets in ketchup)
Bamboo (canned asparagus in worcestershire)
Fish Bait (sardines--no need to add anything to those!)
Elephant Eyes (balls of cream cheese colored with blue food coloring)
Possum Blood (tomato juice and buttermilk)

The funny thing one teacher thought of is to make them roll the dice to see how many of each thing they have to eat.

The competition was fierce, but we have 3 boys and 3 girls lined up to compete. I'll let you know if anyone hurls.:(

Home Chef
05-14-2008, 06:14 PM
The menu is great! Take pictures to let us see. I may have to steal some ideas for a Halloween class.

aggie94
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Possum Blood (tomato juice and buttermilk)

Oooooh, NASTY. :eek: