PDA

View Full Version : Rev: Golden Tofu Triangles with Rich Peanut Sauce

Elisabeth13
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I pulled this recipe off Michelle's (Cookin4Love) blog about a month ago, and finally got around to trying it this weekend. DBF and I both thought it was wonderful - I even made it again last night because we ate so much of it the first time there were no leftovers! The peanut sauce was the perfect combo of salty, sweet, and spicy all at the same time...great flavor depth. I halved the recipe the first time and served it over rice, but I learned my lesson and won't do that again - we eat way too much of it for just half a recipe! Thanks, Michelle!

Golden Tofu Triangles with Rich Peanut Sauce

tofu:
two 16-ounce tubs extra-firm tofu
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt

sauce:
3/4 cup crunchy natural peanut butter
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste

Cut each block of tofu into 6 slabs crosswise. (Michelle's note: Make it 8 slabs. The texture is much better with thinner pieces.) Blot well with tea towels or paper towels, then cut each slab in half to make 2 squares. Finally, cut each square on the diagonal to make triangles.

Spread the oil evenly over the surface of a wide skillet and heat. Add the tofu and saute over medium-high heat until golden on both sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with a little salt.

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan with 1/2 cup water. Whisk together and heat to a gentle simmer.

Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a bit more water if too thick.

To serve, arrange some of the tofu triangles on each plate and drizzle with the sauce. Or, for a fun effect, thread the triangles onto skewers, then spoon the sauce over them.

Menu suggestion: Serve with cooked rice, bean thread noodles, rice vermicelli, or soba.

source: The Vegan Express via Cooking the Books (http://cookingthebooksusa.blogspot.com/)

tigermorris
06-03-2008, 03:51 PM
thanks for the recipe.
DH is doing WW. Do you have the NI or any idea of the points/serving?

Elisabeth13
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Yup...I'm doing WW myself. :) If you count the regular recipe as 8 servings (which is a medium-sized serving), the tofu and sauce is 6 points - not counting any rice or noodles or anything.

I don't have the NI...I've had Mastercook sitting idle on my computer forever, but haven't taken the time to learn how to use it yet. :o

SheRa
06-03-2008, 08:27 PM
oooh this sounds great! i always love a new tofu recipe!

Canice
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Tofu and peanuts are such a great combo - two wonderful vegetarian posts in a row! I'll make this one, too.