PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Game of the Week #113 06-29-08

cookieee
06-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Good Morning All !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you read my message 2 weeks ago, you should be packed by now. You didn't read my message? :eek:

OK ya'all. It's that time of year. Time for our "Third Annual Virtual 4th of July Pool Party"

WHERE: my place, here in Boca Raton, Fl.

WHEN: all week long

HOW DO WE GET THERE: all you have to do is submit a recipe for the party. new or t & t. You don't have to actually cook it, just supply the recipe.

WHAT IF I HAVE TO GO HOME AND WANT TO COME BACK TO THE PARTY: just do like Dorothy did. Click your heels together 3 times and say there is no place like home. Ready to come back, just submit another recipe and you are instantly back at the party.;)

So, hurry up, the pool is waiting. The beach is only 5 minutes away, lots of places to go shopping, movies, restaurants.

DH and I are waiting for you;)

Hammster
06-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Woo Hoo!! Cookieee's pool parties are always a blast. Thanks for hosting Cookieee. :D
If I may add, be sure to bring an extra bathing suit. Somehow those things go missing at Cookieee's parties. ;) :D

Hmmm, I have a fun recipe in mind that goes with the theme. I'll be back.

cookieee
06-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Woo Hoo!! Cookieee's pool parties are always a blast. Thanks for hosting Cookieee. :D
If I may add, be sure to bring an extra bathing suit. Somehow those things go missing at Cookieee's parties. ;) :D

Your welcome, thank you Ham.

Maybe you will find your suit this year (when you give me back my towel):D;)

Hey everyone, don't forget to pack your rubber ducky. We had quite a few last year. They look so cute swimming around.

DmOrtega
06-29-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.fashion-era.com/images/1960-80/bathing400w.jpg

Happy 3rd anniversary Cookieee !!!!

ooooh ... I just bought a new bathing suit. I will be here off and on because of work duties, so won't be here all of the time. For today, I'm in.

I'm in the mood for beans and rice and want to try Bobmark226's crockpot cooking method, as done by Hammster. Today will be pinto beans cooked with onions, cumin, epazote, and Elisabeth13's Mexican Rice. Homemade corn tortillas will be pretty easy and go well with these dishes. Now ... who has a nice salsa recipe to share?

... I cooked about a cup (dry) of the yellow eye beans in the crockpot set to high. No presoaking overnight or any length of time at all. Straight from the bag into the crockpot. Added a few sliced green onions a few bay leaves, some fresh ground pepper and water to cover by a couple inches. Turned crockpot onto high and *EXACTLY* 3 hours later, they are completely tender and not dry, chalky or grainy. Creamy and tender just as I want.
Very cool!

AND ...

...I've been searching for perfect, restaurant-style Mexican rice for a while now and I've finally found it!!! Every other recipe I've ever tried for this has been wet and "gloppy"...but this recipe yielded perfect dry, fluffy, slightly "tomato-y" rice just like the stuff DBF and I get at our favorite Mexican restaurant. It was a little bit of work, but worth it - it will be THE definitive Mexican rice recipe in our house from now on! We ate this as a side dish with enchiladas last night, but I think it would be a wonderful main dish with some beans stirred in, too. Here's the recipe, with my minor changes in italics:

Mexican Rice

12 ounces tomato, very ripe and cored (I used 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies)
1 medium white onion
3 medium jalapeno (I only used one jalapeno)
2 cups long grain white rice
1/3 cup canola oil (I used olive oil, and only 1/4 cup)
4 minced garlic cloves
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 lime

preheat oven to 350.

Process tomato and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups. Discard excess. (With my one can of tomatoes and 1 fist-sized onion, I had exactly two cups)

Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos and discard. Mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining jalapeno. Set aside.

Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes.Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water.This step removes the starch from the rice so it will not stick. IF YOU OMIT THIS STEP YOUR RICE WILL NOT BE DRY AND FLUFFY.

Heat oil in heavy bottomed ovensafe 12 inch straight sided sautee pan or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over medium high heat about 2 minutes. (I used my cast iron Dutch oven) Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and 2 minced jalapenos and cook , stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Stir in broth, pureed mixture,tomato paste, and salt. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.

Cover pan and transfer pan to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes.Stir well after 15 minutes.

Stir in cilantro, minced jalapeno (I didn't add any extra jalapeno at this point - just sauteed it with the garlic in the earlier step), and pass lime wedges separately. (I squeezed the juice of one lime over the whole thing and stirred before serving, instead of serving with lime wedges.)

source: Recipezaar - Pot Scrubber

The weather is looking nice ... don't forget sunscreen! :D

cher48603
06-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I may be late, but I'll be there. It's a long drive from Michigan.

Speaking of Mi, it gets pretty cold here in the winter. Can we have a party in February too? :D

cookieee
06-29-2008, 09:31 AM
:D

http://www.fashion-era.com/images/1960-80/bathing400w.jpg

Happy 3rd anniversary!!!!

ooooh ... I just bought a new bathing suit. I will be here off and on because of work duties, so won't be here all of the time. For today, I'm in.

I'm in the mood for beans and rice and want to try Bobmark226's crockpot cooking method. Today will be pinto beans cooked with onions, cumin, epazote, and Elisabeth13's Mexican Rice. Homemade corn tortillas will be pretty easy and go well with these dishes. Now ... who has a nice salsa recipe to share?

AND ...

The weather is looking nice ... don't forget sunscreen! :D

Hi Dorrena, your slow this year.:D Last year you were the first to arrive;). You also contributed the most recipes. It's good to see you again, welcome, hope you have a good time. Thank you for the Anniversary picture, cute. Is one of them you in your new suit? (beans? Are you trying to turn the pool into a bubbling sauna?:D)

DmOrtega
06-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Funny!!! Now you all will have to ponder as to why we are smiling! Hmmm ... :D

cookieee
06-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I may be late, but I'll be there. It's a long drive from Michigan.

Speaking of Mi, it gets pretty cold here in the winter. Can we have a party in February too? :D

Cher, forget the driving, all you have to do is submit a recipe and you are instantly here ;).

I don't know about Michigan, but for me, in February, the pool is too darn cold. :o :D

Hammster
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't know about Michigan, but for me, in February, the pool is too darn cold. :o :D

I'm thinking we'd be ice skating on the pool in Feb in Mi. ;)

cookieee
06-29-2008, 10:51 AM
:D

Hi Dorrena, your slow this year.:D Last year you were the first to arrive;).

Oppps, my mistake. You ARE the first to arrive. ;)

It's almost lunch time. How about you and I have a couple of Margaritas poolside while DH fixes lunch?

heavy hedonist
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm in! We have been havng so much rain here, it will be nice to get away.

Here's a recipe I've been making frequently lately, for family get-togethers and to make DH happy. It is slightly adapted from FRESH FROM THE VEGETARIAN SLOWCOOKER, by Robin Robertson.

Vanilla-Scented White Rice Pudding with Cardamom

1 C raw white long grained rice

4 C milk or vanilla soymilk

1 Tbsp butter or margarine

2/3 C vanilla sugar, brown sugar or natural sweetener

1 tsp vanilla extract

pinch of salt

1 cinnamon stick, broken in two

3 green dried cardamom pods, cracked slightly

1 tsp rosewater, optional

1 handful pistachio nutmeats, optional, or 1/2 C rum-soaked raisins

optional enrichment:

1/2 C half-n-half

1-2 egg yolks

Spray the inside of a 3 1/2 qt - 4 qt slowcooker lightly with cooking spray. Turn to high and add butter, rice, cinnamon stick pieces and cardamom pods. Stir together till rice is coated with melted butter and add vanilla, milk, salt, nuts and rosewater if using. Stir it all in, cover and cook on high for one hour if you are able to be around a while; then stir again and continue cooking on low for 4-5 hours, until milk is absorbed and rice is tender. Otherwise, cook on low for about 6 hours.
When rice is tender, remove cardamom pods and cinnamon stick pieces. If using optional enrichment, stir the yolks into the half-n-half, then stir a large spoonful of the rice pudding into the yolk mixture. Add it all back into the pot and turn the cooker to warm, waiting at least fifteen minutes or more before serving ( or up to 2 hours maximum). if needed, you can keep the cooker on low for a while longer instead-- but you may need to add a bit more half-n-half or soymilk. Serve hot, warm, or cold, with whipped cream, ice cream or nothing! Serves 4-6.

you can see this is T&T already by the way I've written it down. Love my slowcooker!

cookieee
06-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm in! We have been havng so much rain here, it will be nice to get away.

Hi Mari, welcome to the party. Thanks for the rice pudding. That will taste great for dessert tonight.

Hey Hon, make that 3 margaritas and 3 for lunch!!

cookieee
06-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Hey Ham, where are you with your fun recipe? DH could use some help with lunch. :D

Hammster
06-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok, here is a fave of ours. I believe it came from a Gourmet magazine.

Fireworks Salad

3/4 lb snow peas, trimmed and strings discarded
1 large red bell pepper
1 large yellow bell pepper
1 1/3 cups julienne strips peeled daikon radish
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp grated, peeled fresh ginger root
1/3 cup olive oil

In a large pot of boiling water blanch the snow peas for 15 seconds, drain them, and plunge them into a bowl of ice and cold water to stop the cooking. Draing the snow peas well and cut them diagonally into thin slices.
Cut the bell peppers into 1 1/2" julienne strips.
In a bowl toss the peas with the bell peppers and daikon. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, gingerroot, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a slow stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss the salad well.

My duckies are ready. :D

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/22572/2803866100100948274S500x500Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/40307/2645394360100948274S500x500Q85.jpg

cookieee
06-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Ham, thanks for the great salad. Just in time for lunch. DH appreciates the help :D

Hope your duckies have lots of company this year ;)

OK, nappy time, to many Margaritas pool side. Please entertain yourselves. See you all in a little while. ;)

cher48603
06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Cher, forget the driving, all you have to do is submit a recipe and you are instantly here ;).

Maybe we'll just sit by the pool rather than going in. February in Florida sure has to beat Michigan. ;)

I'm thinking we'd be ice skating on the pool in Feb in Mi.

Ham, how right you are!!

cher48603
06-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Think I'll bring a rice salad. We haven't had this in awhile and I'm hungry for it.

Chutney Rice Salad

CHUTNEY DRESSING:
1/3 cup chutney
1/4 cup oil -- (I use 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons slivered almonds -- toasted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh minced gingerroot
SALAD:
3 cups cooked rice -- (I use brown & only 2 cups)
1 cup chopped red apple -- cored
1/2 cup chopped celery -- (have subbed 1/2 of a red bell pepper)
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons chopped green onions -- (use more)

In small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients; blend well. In large bowl, combine all salad ingredients. Pour dressing over rice mixture and mix well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.

To toast almonds, spread on cookie sheet. Bake at 375F for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Or, spread in thin layer on microwave safe pie pan. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring frequently.

Serves 8.

Source: "Pillsbury Most Requested Recipes (TM) 1994 Vol 2 No 4"

NOTES : Chutney is a piquant relish originating in India. Chutneys usually combine exotic fruits, spices and vinegar. The sweetness of chutney goes well with rice, celery, onions, apples and toasted almonds making this a very tasty salad.

Cheryl's notes: The first time I made this I used 2 cups leftover brown rice & have been making it that way since. I put the dressing on the hot rice & let it soak in.

Deechef
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh Goodie..................I am so ready for this party cause I had such a great time last year. Got lost coming back from a golf course but this year I have a GPS system I'm bringing with me.

My first offering is a Guacamole Salad

Guacamole Salad 2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved
See this recipe on air Tuesday Jul. 01 at 5:00 PM ET/PT.

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup small diced red onion
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced

Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.

I'll make it when I get there because of the avacados...Wait, I'm already there:) Wow...you're good Cookieee. Save me a margarita (or two). I lost my rubber duckies but I have a rubber alligator. He's really cute and loves rubber duckies.

Off to make the salad in Cookiee's wonderful kitchen ;)

LakeMartinGal
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Here I am! And here's the taco salad! I have a couple of new bathing suits, and I'm ready to jump in -- especially since it's raining off and on here! I've brought my goldens... I hope you don't mind! They love to swim!;)

Taco Salad

1 lb lean ground beef
2 Tbs dried onions
1 can chili beans
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cups Doritos, crushed
6 cups lettuce
2 cups tomatoes
1 cup Italian salad dressing

1 Brown meat and onions together. Drain. Add taco seasoning, if beans are mildly seasoned. Mix beans with meat mixture. Chill, if desired.
2 Let everyone mix their own salads to get proportions correct for them.

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition (per serving): 675.2 calories; 47% calories from fat; 38.2g total fat; 440.5mg cholesterol; 1413.9mg sodium; 957.6mg potassium; 53.8g carbohydrates; 9.8g fiber; 5.1g sugar; 44.0g net carbs; 40.0g protein; 15.9 points.

cookieee
06-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Think I'll bring a rice salad. We haven't had this in awhile and I'm hungry for it.

Hi Cheryl, welcome, come on in. There's plenty of room in the fridge for your salad. Thanks so much for bring it. It looks good.

testkitchen45
06-29-2008, 04:03 PM
May I bring the plates, cups, napkins, utensils, etc? Our kitchen will be demolished in a week, so I'm not cooking anything worth sharing b/c I'm using up what's in my fridge & freezer (the oddball combinations this is creating could be a whole 'nother thread :D). I'll do a "tablescape," how 'bout? I have a huge hurricane candleholder with a bright red (of course; my fave color) pillar candle & blue glass beads to hold the candle in place, plus I have brightly colored outdoor plates & place settings. So I'll do that. :)

Ooooh, wait! I can post a recipe! Just posted this one for someone looking for a pretty dessert for a buffet table (on another thread), but in case you missed it, here's a copy plus a photo:

This Pampered Chef recipe, Lady Liberty Lemon Star Dessert, has Cool Whip & is kind of prefab, but it looks impressive if you want it to stand out on the dessert table , and is a crowd-pleaser with the cute appearance & all the fresh fruit. All you need is a star insert for a springform pan.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lady Liberty Lemon Star Dessert

Recipe By :Beautiful and not difficult.
Serving Size : 15
Categories : Dessert Entertaining
Five-Star Favorite Fruit
Make Ahead/NO last-min prep Patriotic (Red, White, & Blue)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 lemon creme-filled sandwich cookies -- store brand is fine (use vanilla-filled in a pinch)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
10 soft ladyfinger cookies -- whole (double the amount, of course, if they come halved)
9 large strawberries -- beautiful ones only; estimated amount (see Directions)
12 ounces Cool Whip Lite® -- thawed (allow 4 hours for it to thaw in the refrigerator)
Extra Cool Whip Lite® -- for garnish
1 large lemon
3 ounces lemon Jell-O powdered mix -- or one small package per 3 ounces needed
1/2 cup water
8 ounces Neufchatel cheese -- softened
1 cup blueberries -- can also use blackberries that you've presweetened with sugar.

Remove Cool Whip from freezer; allow 4 hours for it to defrost in the
refrigerator. Remove cream cheese from fridge so that it can soften.

Melt butter in medium glass bowl. Finely chop cookies using hand-held food
chopper or food processor. Combine crumbs and butter; press mixture into
9" springform pan.

Wash and de-stem blueberries; drain on paper towels. Wash and hull
strawberries (possibly reserve the prettiest strawberry for garnish; don't
cut or de-stem this one); cut them in half along widest part (from stem
end at top, to bottom); drain. Attach open-star tip to Easy-Accent
Decorator (tool with a drum that holds creamy foods/garnishes, and a
plunger to push it through a tip--just like a caulking gun). Fill
decorator with Cool Whip; cap and refrigerate. If desired, fill a second
decorator with more Cool Whip for garnish.

Trim ladyfingers flat on one end. Separate the strips of ladyfingers
(don't separate the individual ladyfingers). Spray sides of Star Insert with nonstick cooking spray; place insert on cookie crust.

Place ladyfingers, cut side down, around inside of insert, referring to
photo for guide. Place approximately 15 strawberry halves, hulled ends
down, against springform pan sides with cut ends facing out. Reserve
remaining strawberry half for garnish, or reserve another whole berry with
the stem left on.)

Zest lemon to measure 2 teaspoons or more of zest. Include some zest
strips (not just the finely grated zest); separate these for garnish.
Juice lemon to get 2 tablespoons of juice. Sprinkle Jell-O over water in
small batter bowl. Microwave on High for 1 minute; whisk until dissolved.
Add lemon juice. In large batter bowl, using a spatula, combine cream
cheese and 3/4 of the lemon zest (the finely grated zest). Dump in the
Jell-O mixture; whisk until smooth. Thoroughly whisk in the remaining Cool
Whip. Divide mixture evenly between inside and outside of insert, using
spatula to fill points. Remove insert, lifting straight up. Sprinkle
blueberries inside star; sprinkle with remaining lemon zest; garnish with
reserved strawberry. Wipe a clean finger around pan to clean the edge.

Refrigerate at least 20 minutes--two to three hours is better! Place onto
cake carrier or serving plate, being sure to secure it there with a
non-skid mat or some folded-back masking tape. Cut around edge of dessert
with tiny paring knife; remove collar from pan. Decorate top of dessert
with stars of reserved Cool Whip, using Decorator.

Description:
"Use the pan's star insert for July 4, or the heart insert for
Valentine's Day."
Source:
"Pampered Chef"
S(Internet address):
""
Start to Finish Time:
"8:00"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 216 Calories; 11g Fat (48.3%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 44mg
Cholesterol; 186mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1 1/2
Other Carbohydrates.

heavy hedonist
06-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Can i just say how much i really needed that margarita? the perfect thing.

susan_foster
06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Now if this tradition had started 4 1/2 years ago, not only would I have joined virtually, I could have done it in person! I spent 5+ years in Fort Lauderdale, and there are times when I definitely miss the beach.

As for my recipe, I'll submit my favorite cold soup. I first tried this recipe two years ago, and ever since I've looked forward to when the plums start appearing. They're in stores now, so I'll definitely be making this recipe this week!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chilled Cherry-Plum Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds plums
3 cups frozen unsweetened cherres -- (1 pound fresh)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated ginger root
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey -- 1 to 2 tablespoons, to taste
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 cups nonfat yogurt -- or buttermilk

Pit and coarsely chop the plums. Place them in a medium-sized saucepan with the cherries, salt, and orange juice. Heat to boiling, turn heat down, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in ginger and mustard. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat; stir in honey and orange rind. Cool to room temperature, then puree until smooth in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid, and chill until very cold.

Whisk in the yogurt or buttermilk just before serving. Top each bowlful with a swirl of buttermilk, a scattering of fresh mint, and a few kiwi slices.

Source:
"The Enchanted Broccoli Forest"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 168 Calories; 1g Fat (6.4% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 169mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

cookieee
06-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Good Morning All

I am sorry I haven't welcomed all of you personnally yet, but Ham will be filling in as host for a while. Please, make yourselfs at home and have a great time. (Ham, no wet suits left on the floor please;)) Save me some of that great food.

Hammster
06-30-2008, 08:08 PM
I just flew in and boy are my arms tired. :eek:
Than-kyew, than-kyew veruh mush. I'll be here all week. :D

However, glad to help out with the pool party. Welcome to all those cookieee missed. Here's hoping we have more guests and more rubber duckies too. Let's get those awesome July 4th recipes in. :)

The bathroom is through the kitchen and to the left. Here's a pile of clean pool towels on the patio table for those who forgot theirs.

Beachside
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
:cool:Wheeeewww! Cookieee’s annual pool party…whoppppeee! So glad to be here again this year. Thanks for splashing out the welcome mat cookieee

DH and I munched on some delish sandwiches on our way to the party. This was a Southern Living recipe I had in my “to-try” pile and I am really glad I did make it…mmmm, tender meat & tasty sauce.

I made plenty for everyone, so let me heat up the sauce and ya’ll can grab one when you get out of the pool. I would suggest adding more of the sauce than just the one tbs recommended, and add a few pickle chips…mmm. I think the mini buns make a nice couple of bites-size sandwich that’ll be just the right amount with all the rest of the food everyone has brought.

http://i.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/sl/03142008/pork-sandwich-sl-1624509-l.jpg

Grilled Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

Prep: 10 min., Grill: 24 min., Stand: 10 min. Add vitamin-rich leafy greens, such as romaine lettuce, Bibb lettuce, or peppery arugula to these great sandwiches.

1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
2 (3/4-lb.) pork tenderloins
Vegetable cooking spray
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
6 tablespoons Vidalia Onion Barbecue Sauce

1. Stir together first 4 ingredients; rub pork tenderloins evenly with seasoning mixture. Lightly coat pork with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 10 to 12 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portions registers 155°. Remove from grill, and let stand 10 minutes. Chop or slice, and serve on hamburger buns. Drizzle each sandwich with 1 Tbsp. Vidalia Onion Barbecue Sauce.
Note: Nutritional analysis includes 1 Tbsp. barbecue sauce.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

CALORIES 264 (0.0% from fat); FAT 6.4g (sat 1.8g,mono 2.3g,poly 1.3g); IRON 2.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 63mg; CALCIUM 57mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.5g; SODIUM 743mg; PROTEIN 26.6g; FIBER 3.4g

Southern Living, JUNE 2007

Vidalia Onion Barbecue Sauce

1 medium-size sweet onion, finely chopped
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preparation
1. Stir together all ingredients and 1/2 cup water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
Yield
Makes about 2 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 tbsp.)
Nutritional Information
CALORIES 15(0.0% from fat); FAT 0.4g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.1g); IRON 0.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3g; SODIUM 105mg; PROTEIN 0.2g; FIBER 0.1g

Southern Living, JUNE 2007

Hammster
07-01-2008, 10:02 AM
:cool:Wheeeewww! Cookieee’s annual pool party…whoppppeee! So glad to be here again this year. Thanks for splashing out the welcome mat cookieee

DH and I munched on some delish sandwiches on our way to the party. This was a Southern Living recipe I had in my “to-try” pile and I am really glad I did make it…mmmm, tender meat & tasty sauce.

I made plenty for everyone, so let me heat up the sauce and ya’ll can grab one when you get out of the pool. I would suggest adding more of the sauce than just the one tbs recommended, and add a few pickle chips…mmm. I think the mini buns make a nice couple of bites-size sandwich that’ll be just the right amount with all the rest of the food everyone has brought.

Mmm, those will certainly hit the spot a bit later on. They look yummy.

Also, be sure to wait one hour after eating before going back in the water. ;) JK!!

DmOrtega
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
http://www.gomuzic.com/gomuzic/photos/pool%20party.jpg

No wonder no one is eating!!! It looks looks like everyone is having a great time!!! :D

Here's something for lunch.

Roasted Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce

Vegetarian Times Issue: May 1, 2006 p.72 — Member Rating:

Enchiladas are great make-ahead party food—the sauce can be put together up to 3 days in advance, and the enchiladas can be made 1 day ahead.

Ingredient List
Serves 6

Tomatillo Sauce
1 1/2 lb. tomatillos, husks removed
3 small jalapeños, seeded
1 cup chopped cilantro
2/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
4 green onions, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
-
Enchiladas
1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled, seeded and diced
2 medium-size red bell peppers, halved and cut into wedges
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
12 6-inch corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions
1. To make Sauce: Cook tomatillos in pot of boiling water 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft (like a ripe plum). Drain.

2. Purée jalapeños in food processor. Add tomatillos, cilantro, broth, green onions, sugar and salt, and process until smooth. Set aside.

3. To make Enchiladas: Preheat oven to 400F. Coat roasting pan and 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

4. Toss together squash, peppers, onion, oil, cumin, coriander and salt in roasting pan. Bake 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until browned. Stir in garlic. Reduce oven to 350F.

5. Warm tortillas one by one in large skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/2 cup vegetables down center of each. Top with 1 Tbs. cheese. Roll and set seam side down in baking dish.

6. Pour 2 cups sauce over enchiladas. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 10 minutes.

7. Warm remaining sauce in skillet over low heat. To serve: Place two enchiladas on each plate and drizzle with warm tomatillo sauce.

Nutritional Information
Per SERVING: Calories: 394, Protein: 12g, Total fat: 15g, Carbs: 55g, Cholesterol: 25mg, Sodium: 533mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 10g

DmOrtega
07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.northernvirginiabrittanyclub.com/images/NVBC%202006%20Pool%20Party%20Partier.jpg

Hey ... who brought the dog? :)

DmOrtega
07-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Are we gonna let this pool party get taken over by the dogs? :D

http://www.jibjab.com/view/243921

Beachside
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow...what a crowd this year! Is there room in the pool for anyone else??

What a storm yesterday...I didn't mind the rain cos I was in my swimsuit, but I sure got off the beach and dashed back to cookieee's house when the lightning & thunder started :eek:

DmOrtega…great to see the photo of us *girls* you took last year. ;) It reminds me that I do need to get a new bathing cap to go with my new swimsuit. And Hammster, I don’t have any duckies, so can I dunk yours when you get out of the pool? Not to worry…I’ll protect them from Kay’s *boys* when she has them in for a swim.

I love love love all the salads! Those enchiladas looked good too. I hope there is plenty of room to nap cookieee…your DH mixes up a great drink, but did I stop at one???

I have a big basket of tropical fruits I brought along just for this recipe. DH and I enjoyed the spicy sweetness of the gazpacho when I made it last week, so I thought it would be great for a lunch time.

Okay...time for another dip in cookieee's pool and then time to peel all the fruits. Who is going to help???

Spicy Tropical Gazpacho

Cooking Light, MARCH 1998

1 cup tomato juice
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup chopped peeled mango
1/2 cup chopped peeled papaya
1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender, and pulse 4 times or until combined. Cover and chill.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 83 (4% from fat); FAT 0.4g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.1g); IRON 1mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 31mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20.5g; SODIUM 375mg; PROTEIN 1.3g; FIBER 1.7g

Hammster
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Hey Beachside,
You are more than welcome to play with my duckies. :D

And, I'll get started peeling the fruits while you are enjoying your swim.

Beachside
07-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Awww geeee...you are quite a guy Hammster...so sweet to take on those fruit peels.

Okay now.......1....2......3..........<SPLASH> Whoops...too hard!:o :D

Rubber duckies here I come......

cookieee
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
http://www.gomuzic.com/gomuzic/photos/pool%20party.jpg

No wonder no one is eating!!! It looks looks like everyone is having a great time!!! :D

Wow, I leave the house for a few days and look what happened. I think Ham left the door unlocked when he went to the beach with Susan. :D:D

cookieee
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone,

So sorry for the departure for a few days. Thank you Ham very much for looking out for everyone. (hey, no wet suits on the floor either, good going:D)

A very belated welcome to Deechef, Kay, Testkitchen45, Susan Foster, and beachside (Susan). Thank you all for the very delicious food that you brought. By the size of the crowd, it all sure came in handy.

So enjoy yourselves, eat, drink and be merry.

And the more the merrier also.;)

testkitchen45
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
And the more the merrier also.;)

Really? :D Look who crashed the party!

cookieee
07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Really? :D Look who crashed the party!

THAT IS SOOOO ADORABLE. THANK YOU SO MUCH. IT REALLY MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD. IS THAT YOURS?

testkitchen45
07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
THAT IS SOOOO ADORABLE. THANK YOU SO MUCH. IT REALLY MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD. IS THAT YOURS?

Oh, heavens no!! If I did that to my cat, who has all her claws, I'd be shredded to ribbons. :eek: :D I Googled for a "cat in pool" pic, since our party already had a dog. :)

cookieee
07-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Well, after that good laugh, I think I will fix us some drinks.

I haven't tried this yet, but it sure sounds good to me. Every once in a while I get these recipes from Canadian Mist in the mail. I'm sure you can use any bourbon (I think that's what it is)

Berry Mist Lemonade

1 1/2 oz. Canadian Mist
1/2 oz. Chambord
3 oz. lemonade
Top with lemon-lime soda

Mix the Canadian Mist and Chambord in a glass and stir in the lemonade and lemon-lime soda. Pour into a tall glass with ice. Garnish with a lemon wedge or twist.

(well, it is after 12 noon here ;) )

cookieee
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Oh, heavens no!! If I did that to my cat, who has all her claws, I'd be shredded to ribbons. :eek: :D I Googled for a "cat in pool" pic, since our party already had a dog. :)

That's funny. If you find a picture of a pig in a pool, please, don't invite it:D
a cute bunny, yes. Thanks again for the well needed laugh

ADM
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
OMG, the water is too warm. Hammster shrank!

http://img.youtube.com/vi/hKMQpLMWbVM/2.jpg

DmOrtega
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.aquarena-springs.com/images/swmming-pig-tamw.jpg

Awwwwww .... how can you say no to this face?!? :p

hahahahaha!!!! I love the cat in the pool but I too wouldn't dare even think about getting that cap on my cat much less the swimming suit and into the water. hahahahahaha!!!!

DmOrtega
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM

hahahahahaha!!!! Too funny!

cookieee
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM

http://img.youtube.com/vi/hKMQpLMWbVM/2.jpg

:D:D:D:D Oh my goodness, another laugh out loud. Thanks ADM, come on in, promise YOU wont shrink:D

testkitchen45
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
If you find a picture of . . . a cute bunny

Just got this little guy out. He's all dried off & will be just fine; he hopped off into the bushes!

(I seriously need to get a life today. :D Am tired of cleaning out my kitchen cabinets! :) Off to buy a bathing cap . . .)

cookieee
07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
http://blogpig.co.uk/pics/2008/02/pool_20pig.jpg

hahahahaha!!!! I love the cat in the pool but I too wouldn't dare even think about getting that cap on my cat much less the swimming suit and into the water. hahahahahaha!!!!

:( Dorrena, I can't see the picture. Oh!!!! NOW I CAN Too funny, hope you didn't invite him to our pool

cookieee
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Just got this little guy out. He's all dried off & will be just fine; he hopped off into the bushes!

(I seriously need to get a life today. :D Am tired of cleaning out my kitchen cabinets! :) Off to buy a bathing cap . . .)

Aw, is that a little bunny? How adorable. Thank you

What do you mean cleaning out your cabinets? Your here in Boca and enjoying life by the pool. Here, have a drink I just made. Let me know if you like it;)

Hammster
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I would only "shrink" if the water were too cold. :p;):D

DmOrtega
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
My picture disappeared .... again! ???? I'll go find another one. ;)

testkitchen45
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
What do you mean cleaning out your cabinets? Your here in Boca and enjoying life by the pool. Here, have a drink I just made. Let me know if you like it;)

Loved it! Thanks! <wiping mouth>

Guess you haven't noticed me darting back & forth from the pool. My kitchen is being remodeled starting next week, so I have to get everything moved out. Wouldn't miss the party, though! Have jumped into the pool a lot today to cool off, b/c I'm checking e-mail for some info from my granite installer so I've stopped by the party quite a bit.

Off for some app'ys now!

DmOrtega
07-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I found a different picture only now it's really big. :rolleyes:

DmOrtega
07-02-2008, 01:17 PM
http://pic.anhuinews.com/0/01/37/71/1377142_963116.jpg

Oh no, it brought it's freinds. :eek: Need more food! :D

rlrobb
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but happy to be here! I hope you have room for one more salad. This is my mom's favorite potato salad. She comes from German stock and doesn't care for mayonnaise, so this was the way I thought potato salad always was until I left home!

Mom's German Potato Salad

Red potatoes, cooked (about 3lbs, enough to fill your bowl)

Dressing:
1/3 C vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 C salad oil

Boil the vinegar, sugar, salt and dry mustard together for one minute. Remove from heat and add the oil. Pour the mixture over cut, cooked potatoes and let it marinate. Add in any chopped vegetables you like and top with sliced hard-boiled eggs and radishes or chopped ham.

cookieee
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but happy to be here! I hope you have room for one more salad. This is my mom's favorite potato salad. She comes from German stock and doesn't care for mayonnaise, so this was the way I thought potato salad always was until I left home!

Mom's German Potato Salad

Red potatoes, cooked (about 3lbs, enough to fill your bowl)

Dressing:
1/3 C vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 C salad oil

Boil the vinegar, sugar, salt and dry mustard together for one minute. Remove from heat and add the oil. Pour the mixture over cut, cooked potatoes and let it marinate. Add in any chopped vegetables you like and top with sliced hard-boiled eggs and radishes or chopped ham.

Hi, better late than never they say:D Welcome, come on in. Thank you for bringing DH favorite potato salad. He will be thrilled.

Yep, I was right. I was showing him the funny pictures and he saw the potato salad and said OHHHHHH ;)

cookieee
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
http://pic.anhuinews.com/0/01/37/71/1377142_963116.jpg

Oh no, it brought it's freinds. :eek: Need more food! :D

:D:D:D That is going to be your job to feed them. :rolleyes::D

jadenegro
07-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey gang, I'm on my way, I just finished packing. My boss just didn't want to let me go....

cookieee
07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey gang, I'm on my way, I just finished packing. My boss just didn't want to let me go....

Hurry us gal, waiting for those fantastic popsicles you made last year;)

jadenegro
07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
OK, I decided what to make. I'll be off to the grocer and then back to make this so it can chill for later.

http://www.epicurious.com/images/recipesmenus/2008/2008_june/242511_116.jpg

meyer lemon semifreddo with summer berries Bon Appétit | June 2008

This dessert is like a frozen mousse, which helps explain its name: semifreddo, or "half-frozen."

Makes 8 to 10 servings

by Maria Helm Sinskey
ingredients

1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 3/4 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
7 large egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice or regular lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons finely grated Meyer lemon peel or regular lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups mixed fresh berries (such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and quartered hulled strawberries)
preparation

Line 9x5x3-inch metal loaf
pan with plastic wrap, leavinggenerous overhang. Sprinklealmonds evenly over bottomof pan. Using electric mixer,beat whipping cream in largebowl until soft peaks form.Refrigerate whipped creamwhile making custard.

Whisk 1 1/4 cups sugar,
egg yolks, lemon juice, lemonpeel, and salt in large metalbowl to blend. Set bowl overlarge saucepan of simmeringwater and whisk constantlyuntil yolk mixture is thickand fluffy and instant-readthermometer inserted intomixture registers 170°F, about4 minutes. Remove bowl fromover simmering water. Usingelectric mixer, beat mixtureuntil cool, thick, and doubledin volume, about 6 minutes.Fold in chilled whipped cream.Transfer mixture to preparedloaf pan and smooth top.Tap loaf pan lightly on worksurface to remove air pockets.Fold plastic wrap overhangover top to cover. Freezesemifreddo until firm, at least8 hours or overnight. DO AHEAD:Semifreddo can be made 3days ahead. Keep frozen.Gently mix all berries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugarin large bowl. DO AHEAD: Canbe made 3 hours ahead. Coverand refrigerate.

Unfold plastic wrap from
top of semifreddo and invertdessert onto platter; removeplastic wrap. Dip heavy largeknife into hot water; cutsemifreddo crosswise into1-inch-thick slices. Transferto plates; spoon berriesalongside and serve.

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

Gosh, someone at epicurious needs to learn how to use the spacebar! :D

cookieee
07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Yes, darn those editors :D

This will be so great for tomorrows dessert. Nice and cold and patriotic
Welcome, good to see you again. ;)

cookieee
07-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Good Morning Everyone

There is a big pot of coffee on the table, bacon and pecan waffles, nice and hot, lots of butter and real Maple syrup. And don't forget to get a dish of fresh cut up mango and melons.

Lots to do today for the big day tomorrow. Please don't think I am being a bad hostess if I am not around too much today. Just swim, relax and girls, don't forget, 5 min. away in either direction and you have the best stores to shop at. ;) Ham, DH said you can borrow his boat if you want to do some fishing today. So far, the weather is great. Some fresh Mahi Mahi for dinner would be great. (hint-hint:rolleyes:)

Hey, anyone up for a big poker game tonight?

cookieee
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Well, almost time for lunch and no one has been around for breakfast. Guess today is a very busy day for everyone ;):D

DmOrtega
07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi! I've been busy with the extra guests that showed up yesterday. :D

I'm giving some thought to dinner for tonight but I must be waterlogged because I just can't settle on anything right at the moment. Where is that coffee? ;):D

heavy hedonist
07-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, almost time for lunch and no one has been around for breakfast. Guess today is a very busy day for everyone ;):D

sorry! I've been getting ready for a backyard drive-in we're having tonight-- but I'll be back tomorrow for the big day.

everyone's put out lots of luscious recipes to taste and try. Iwould bring my cat to the pool, too, but he's recuperating from his booster shots this morning and he'd probably kill me anyway.

meantime, here's a nice little snack--

Miss Virginia's Peach and Pecan Dip (from Lowcountry Delights, by M. Pinson)

1 8-oz block of cream cheese, room temp

1/2 C peach preserves (apricot or strawberry work too)

1 C chopped pecans

Crackers/bread rounds for serving

Blend cream cheese in a small food processor or with hand beater until smooth. Stir in preserves and mix well. Fold in pecans, reserving a teaspoonful to garnish. refrigerate for at least two hours before serving. Seve chilled or at room temp, garnished with reserved pecans sprinkled on top.

And my new summer drink;

Jacked-up Tea

Pour four C boiling water into teapot over 8 regular black tea teabags or two "Iced Tea" teabags. let steep for 30 minutes or more. Sweeten with 1/3 C sugar and pour into 2-qt. pitcher, adding cold water to fill. stir well, chill.
When cold, pour into 12-16 0z glass over several ice cubes. add a very large shot of Jack Daniels and a lemon slice if you have one. Stir lightly and drink happily.

Deechef
07-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Well....I'm back! What a busy work week but nothing like a pool party for the weekend to get me in the spirit. I refused to pay for my checked in luggage so I only have my bathing suit, rubber alligator and a coupla changes of clothes (golf clothes!) Anyone want to play golf with me tomorrow? Early please as its hot down here:eek:

OK..........I'm ready for dinner.........who's cooking??

I have a great drink prepared (love your kitchen cooookie er I mean cookieee)
"Skip and go Naked"

1 12oz can pink lemonade softened
12 oz gin:p
1 can beer:D

Stir and serve over chipped ice

Be careful:):)

I have an appetizer ready from a cookbook Terri sent me from Texas!

Mexican Corn Dip

2 cups cheese (jack or cheddar) shredded
2 jalapenos
2 cans mexican corn with juice
1 2 oz can green chopped chiles
1/2 t onion powder
salt and cayenne to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo

Mix all in a large bowl and chill several hours. Serve with Fritos.

jadenegro
07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I've got dinner on the grill for anyone who's hungry! Hope you like it!

grilled mahi-mahi with tomatillo-avocado salsa and pineapple Bon Appétit | August 2007

Makes 4 servings.

Charlie Jones
ingredients
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/2 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, cored, chopped
1 large avocado, halved, pitted, peeled
1/2 jalapeño chile with seeds, stemmed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 green onion, chopped
4 (7- to 8-ounce) mahi-mahi fillets
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced peeled cored pineapple
preparation
Spray grill rack with nonstick spray and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Blend next 5 ingredients in processor to coarse puree; season salsa with salt.

Brush fish with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until just opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Top with salsa and pineapple.

cookieee
07-03-2008, 07:11 PM
sorry! I've been getting ready for a backyard drive-in we're having tonight-- but I'll be back tomorrow for the big day.
And my new summer drink;
Jacked-up Tea

Pour four C boiling water into teapot over 8 regular black tea teabags or two "Iced Tea" teabags. let steep for 30 minutes or more. Sweeten with 1/3 C sugar and pour into 2-qt. pitcher, adding cold water to fill. stir well, chill.
When cold, pour into 12-16 0z glass over several ice cubes. add a very large shot of Jack Daniels and a lemon slice if you have one. Stir lightly and drink happily.

Oh!! Please tell us more about the drive-in Mari. Thank you, the dip is delicious. Whoooooh, that tea is really something else.

cookieee
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Well....I'm back! What a busy work week but nothing like a pool party for the weekend to get me in the spirit. I refused to pay for my checked in luggage so I only have my bathing suit, rubber alligator and a coupla changes of clothes (golf clothes!) Anyone want to play golf with me tomorrow? Early please as its hot down here:eek:

OK..........I'm ready for dinner.........who's cooking??

I have a great drink prepared (love your kitchen cooookie er I mean cookieee)
"Skip and go Naked"

1 12oz can pink lemonade softened
12 oz gin:p
1 can beer:D

Stir and serve over chipped ice
Be careful:):)

Wooh! DH really likes the sound of this drink. Sounds deadly to me. Mari's tea, your lemonade, my lemonade, we can make our own fireworks:D:D

LakeMartinGal
07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Has anyone seen my sunscreen? I think I'm getting burned!;)

cookieee
07-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I've got dinner on the grill for anyone who's hungry! Hope you like it!

grilled mahi-mahi with tomatillo-avocado salsa and pineapple Bon Appétit | August 2007

Makes 4 servings.

Charlie Jones
ingredients
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/2 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, cored, chopped
1 large avocado, halved, pitted, peeled
1/2 jalapeño chile with seeds, stemmed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 green onion, chopped
4 (7- to 8-ounce) mahi-mahi fillets
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup diced peeled cored pineapple
preparation
Spray grill rack with nonstick spray and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Blend next 5 ingredients in processor to coarse puree; season salsa with salt.

Brush fish with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until just opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Top with salsa and pineapple.

Boy this sounds good. Thanks for dinner. So, your the one that took the boat out. What happened to Ham? Did he go fishing with you? ;)

testkitchen45
07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
DmOrtega!! One of your darn pigs stole my German Potato Salad! :eek: :D

Hammster
07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Has anyone seen my sunscreen? I think I'm getting burned!;)

It might be too late. ;)

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/images/skin_sunburn.jpg

Looks around for the Aloe vera gel.

cookieee
07-03-2008, 08:28 PM
It might be too late. ;)

Oh Ham, Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Please, it hurts, just to look at that picture.

DmOrtega
07-03-2008, 11:27 PM
DmOrtega!! One of your darn pigs stole my German Potato Salad! :eek: :D

OMG!!! .... Are you serious!?! I'm gonna have a talk with them about about manners. :p :D

DmOrtega
07-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Hammster, that sunburn is scary! Sunscreen everyone, sunscreen!!!!

DmOrtega
07-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I see there are a few people still enjoying the party. See you later!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2288446660_bd402fd839.jpg?v=0

cookieee
07-04-2008, 07:38 AM
I see there are a few people still enjoying the party. See you later!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2288446660_bd402fd839.jpg?v=0

Yea, night swimming is the best time. Don't have to worry about using SUNSCREEN

ETA Also, if you turn out the pool lights, you don't have to worry about the neighbors watching you "skinny dip" :eek::D:D

cookieee
07-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

Breakfast this morning is going to be very simple. There is going to be so much food to eat today. And the drinks :rolleyes: WOW. There is DH freshly ground and brewed big pot of coffee. And hot out of the oven, Cinnamon rolls, and of course the big dish of fresh fruit and orange juice. So dig in and lets get this party rolling. See you all later.

jadenegro
07-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Anyone up for a walk on the beach? :D

http://www.pbcgov.com/webcams/bocainlet/dig001t.jpg

Happy 4th!

cookieee
07-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Cool picture, where is it? Did you take it?

jadenegro
07-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Cool picture, where is it? Did you take it?

I didn't take it - I did a quick google of boca raton beach and found out you have webcams! It looks like a sunny day today for real! Not like the cloudy pic I posted. I'm completely fascinated by oceans views because I live in KS :o

Webcam (http://www.evsboca.com/default.htm)

cookieee
07-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks jadenegro, I was trying to remember who posted that link last year. I still can't do it:o Last year DH went there and held up a sign saying "this way to cookieees pool party and they wouldn't take a picture of him:mad:

So, anyone at the beach this morning that we know?

cookieee
07-04-2008, 09:39 AM
While searching for a potato salad recipe for today, this caught my eye. "soak celery seed in vinegar 30 minutes". Just had to make it :D

Party Potato Salad
12 servings

2 tsp celery seed
3 Tbs vinegar (used apple cider)
7 cooked large potatoes, cut into 3/4" pieces (used 3lb small red potatoes,no peeling:p)
1 1/2 cups salad dressing (used Hellman's Mayo.)
1 Tbs salt (used 1 tsp)
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
1 cup sliced radishes (left out)
1/4 cup chopped green onions (with tops)
6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (used 3 sliced on top of salad)
1 large cucumber, chopped (left out)

Soak celery seed in vinegar 30 minutes. PLace potatoes in large bowl. Mix salad dressing, salt, celery seed-vinegar mixture, mustard and pepper; toss gently with potatoes. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hrs.

Add celery, onions radishes, eggs and cucumber; toss gently.

Source: Betty Crocker #31

LakeMartinGal
07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
No heavy cooking today! Just burgers, brats and corn... maybe make ice cream! And I have had sunburn that looked just like that horrible picture -- when I was young and foolish...:eek:

Tomorrow, I'm making birthday cake -- still deciding what kind!

Today, we're sitting around the pool (in the shade) and getting in the pool for hours! Anybody up for a game of catch with the beach balls!:D

cookieee
07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
No heavy cooking today! Just burgers, brats and corn... maybe make ice cream! And I have had sunburn that looked just like that horrible picture -- when I was young and foolish...:eek:

Tomorrow, I'm making birthday cake -- still deciding what kind!

Today, we're sitting around the pool (in the shade) and getting in the pool for hours! Anybody up for a game of catch with the beach balls!:D

Same here. IRL I had a request "no gourmet food". Me with thousands of recipes, hundreds of cookbooks:rolleyes:. So it is hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad , pasta salad and corn on the cob. And whatever the DD and SIL bring.

DH did remember to buy a new beach ball. Yea, sure, for the grandkids:D

Kay, I haven't forgotten. The 7th is your BIG DAY;)

DmOrtega
07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Here's a link to The History of Fireworks and other 4th of July related videos, just in case you need a break from the pool. :)

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=e13b605f-8651-4d3c-b2ba-1ae932f42674&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:503fd6b6-5164-45d9-9c61-bfe129f63e7c%2C43c067b0-a3bf-4bff-87f6-75e5476f028c%2C89ede703-6d5a-4804-8c4d-be6ef458a066&from=MSNHP&tab=m1212116007815&GT1=42003

cookieee
07-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Here's a link to The History of Fireworks and other 4th of July related videos, just in case you need a break from the pool. :)

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=e13b605f-8651-4d3c-b2ba-1ae932f42674&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:503fd6b6-5164-45d9-9c61-bfe129f63e7c%2C43c067b0-a3bf-4bff-87f6-75e5476f028c%2C89ede703-6d5a-4804-8c4d-be6ef458a066&from=MSNHP&tab=m1212116007815&GT1=42003

For some reason, I can't see videos, but I'm sure everyone else will enjoy. Thanks Dorrena ;)

LakeMartinGal
07-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Kay, I haven't forgotten. The 7th is your BIG DAY;)Thanks for remembering -- at least it's not a milestone birthday... you know, the kind where you have to check the next age-range box!;):rolleyes::p:D

heavy hedonist
07-04-2008, 04:52 PM

I thought Gandalf practically invented fireworks!!!

heavy hedonist
07-04-2008, 05:00 PM
It might be too late. ;)

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/images/skin_sunburn.jpg

hopefully no one got this red today, but I have this nifty aloe vera with Lidocaine in it-- soothes and anesthetizes the skin. and the person wearing it, a bit.
though not as much as a good stiff drink.

gee, i feel bad i didn't invite everyone else to the drive-in last night-- i was worried the setup wouldn't work, but it did. Our 8' screen hangs down on the side of the shed, under maple branches, and the projector has it's own little table to sit on. we have surround sound, with subwoofers and whatnot-- it works well. We screened True Romance. great flick, hadn't seen it for years.

cookieee
07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
hopefully no one got this red today, but I have this nifty aloe vera with Lidocaine in it-- soothes and anesthetizes the skin. and the person wearing it, a bit.
though not as much as a good stiff drink.

gee, i feel bad i didn't invite everyone else to the drive-in last night-- i was worried the setup wouldn't work, but it did. Our 8' screen hangs down on the side of the shed, under maple branches, and the projector has it's own little table to sit on. we have surround sound, with subwoofers and whatnot-- it works well. We screened True Romance. great flick, hadn't seen it for years.

Hi Mari, let's hope not.:eek:.

Your drive-in sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think I have seen True Romance.

cookieee
07-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Hope everyone had a great time yesterday. I am still pooped out. The grandkids slept over. That always makes me happy.

Did anyone find out yesterday, the more dishes you washed, the more showed up dirty. I just could not stay ahead of them and there is more waiting for me from breakfast:eek::D

Back to work, talk to you all later.:rolleyes:;)

heavy hedonist
07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
the shindig is slowing down, but if anybody is left this evening, i'll volunteer to make a s'mores bread pudding for dessert-- don't ask me for the recipe, i just throw these things together! should be enough to know it's got bittersweet chips, graham crumbs, and a marshamllow sauce.

cher48603
07-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to the party sooner, but I'm here now.

I though I'd bring along a healthy snack, Applesauce-Raisin Bran Muffins. It's an old CL recipe from 1987.

If you like a muffin that isn't very sweet, this one's for you.

Applesauce-Raisin Bran Muffins

1 cup shreds of whole bran cereal
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (used white whole wheat)
1/2 cup raisins
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (used 1 almost heaping teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon salt (added an extra 1/8 teaspoon)
vegetable cooking spray

Combine cereal and buttermilk in a medium bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, applesauce, oil, and egg; mix well.

Combine flour, raisins, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Add bran cereal mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon batter into muffin pans coated with cooking spray or lined with paper baking cups, filling about three-fourths full. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 1 dozen (about 148 calories per muffin). PROTEIN 3.8 / FAT 3.3 / CARBOHYDRATE 28.5 / CHOLESTEROL 23 / IRON 2.1 / SODIUM 196 / CALCIUM 71

Source: Cooking Light Magazine, March/April 1987, page 16

cher48603
07-05-2008, 01:08 PM
After looking at all the animals that have been swimming, thought I'd pass along an animal incident from the other night.

Our next-door neighbor is soft-spoken so I was surprised to hear her outside yelling at about 11 PM. Her cat and a visiting cat were lying on her deck just looking at each other. S opened the door and one of their black labs ran out. Of course, it startled the visiting cat who ran and promptly landed in the pool. When S's DH heard her yelling, he came to the door and turned on the backyard light. By then the wet cat had taken off, but there was a baby bunny in the pool. He scooped it out and set it over the fence in our backyard. The bunny was fine and ran off.

It was all pretty funny until later the next day when the @#@# visiting cat ran through our backyard with a baby bunny in his mouth. :mad:

heavy hedonist
07-06-2008, 09:53 AM
cats love rabbit more than anything-- even chipmunk.

DmOrtega
07-06-2008, 10:06 AM
That instinct for rabbits must be pretty basic. My ds was showing my dd's rabbit's foot, that was on a chain, to one of the cats. That cat proceeded to grab the foot and run through the house growling and crouching down very low to the ground with his tail straight out behind him. It was funny but not for my dd. :p The cat finally ran out of the house with it and we didn't find the foot for several days. I'm not sure if he tried to eat it or not. Every once in a while my ds will tempt the cat and sure enough he will run off with it, growling at us, then we are off to retrieve it for dd. ;)

cookieee
07-06-2008, 10:13 AM
That instinct for rabbits must be pretty basic. My ds was showing my dd's rabbit's foot, that was on a chain, to one of the cats. That cat proceeded to grab the foot and run through the house growling and crouching down very low to the ground with his tail straight out behind him. It was funny but not for my dd. :p The cat finally ran out of the house with it and we didn't find the foot for several days. I'm not sure if he tried to eat it or not. Every once in a while my ds will tempt the cat and sure enough he will run off with it, growling at us, then we are off to retrieve it for dd. ;)

Oooh, these poor bunny stories:(

cookieee
07-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi all,

please forgive me for being such a bad hostess again. I can't believe it. I was so tired Sat. that I never said a proper goodbye to all our wonderful guests. Thank you all for the great food and drinks and the funny pictures, and especially for the great company. I hope you all had a good time and will come back next year. Hopefully, things will go a lot smoother by then. ;)

cookieee
07-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Ham very kindly took over the hosting duties of this party. We had a blast. Even ducks and dogs had fun.:D

And check out the bbq sandwiches by Susan. A lot of good food again from everyone. ;)