PDA

View Full Version : Peach Melba Sundaes (or how to use up odds and ends)

Cookin4Love
07-06-2008, 08:05 PM
In my ongoing effort not to throw anything away (admittedly spurred on by the rising price of groceries), I put together a dessert that has us wanting more. Thought I'd share for those of you who might also have some summer bounty that you need to use up. I also had a handful of snickerdoodle cookies left over from having the family over, and wanted to put them to an alternate use.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff161/tknight10/Food/peachmelbasmall.jpg

Peach Melba Sundae

2-3 peaches, peeled and chopped in 1/2" pieces
1 box raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-3 snickerdoodles or other cookies
1 pint vanilla ice cream

Put peaches and raspberries in separate bowls. Divide the sugar between them to taste. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to each bowl. Mash the raspberries with a fork. Let macerate for at least 30 minutes, and preferably for at least an hour.

Crumble snickerdoodles.

When the raspberries have given up their juices, pour them into a fine mesh strainer. Use the back of a spoon to push all the juice and solids through the strainer. Throw away the remaining seeds.

To assemble sundaes:

Pour 1 tablespoon raspberry puree into the bottom of a bowl. Scoop 1/4 of ice cream into each dish. Top with the crumbled cookies and half the peaches, dividing between the bowls. Drizzle another tablespoon of raspberry puree over each bowl. Scoop the remaining ice cream into the bowls. Top with the remaining peaches and pour the raspberry puree over the top. Garnish with halved cookies if desired.