PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Pizza from Bobby Flay - SO GOOD!

linsleyd
07-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Dh and I had this for dinner last night and it is so amazingly good you must try. Don't skimp on the basic vinagrette or the ricotta, it really adds a dimension of flavor to the pizza!

Grilled Pizza with Hot Sausage, Grilled Peppers and Onions and Oregano Ricotta Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

1/2 pound Italian hot sausage
1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 large yellow pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
2 large red pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 recipe favorite pizza dough, rolled into 4 (6-inch) rounds
1/2 pound grated fontina cheese I used mozzarella since it's what I had on hand and I also added a base of pizza sauce
1 cup sheep's milk ricotta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
Basil Vinaigrette, recipe follows

Preheat a grill.
Grill the sausage on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes per side. Brush onions and peppers with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions and peppers until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the sausage from the grill and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Remove the onions, separate into rings, and roughly chop. Remove the peppers and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices.

Heat grill to high. Brush dough with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn over and grill for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the grill and place on a flat surface.

Divide the fontina cheese among the 4 pizza rounds. Divide the sausage, onions and peppers over the cheese. Place the pizza on the grill, close the cover and grill until the cheese has melted, about 3 to 4 minutes. To finish in the oven, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the pizza on sheet pans and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Mix together the ricotta, extra-virgin olive oil, and oregano in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the pizzas from the oven and drizzle with Basil Vinaigrette. Top with dollops of the ricotta cheese mixture and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.

Basil Vinaigrette:

1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.

IndyKF
07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
For the past several summers, I've been swearing to myself I'm going to try and make grilled pizza...and I STILL haven't tried it. :o

This sounds fabulous! I don't think I've tried a Bobby Flay recipe that I didn't like :)

sunnyshine
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
This sounds fabulous. I, too, have been meaning to try grilled pizza. I love Bobby Flay's recipes so I might be giving this a go.

manetta
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
For the past several summers, I've been swearing to myself I'm going to try and make grilled pizza...and I STILL haven't tried it. :o

This sounds fabulous! I don't think I've tried a Bobby Flay recipe that I didn't like :)

Me, too! I am not intimated by many things, but grilling pizza scares the heck out of me for some reason. :o

Kate B
07-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Me, too! I am not intimated by many things, but grilling pizza scares the heck out of me for some reason. :o

Me, three! Something about visualizing the mess as the dough seeps through the grates....

-Kate

linsleyd
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
If you don't want to try the recipe with dough right away try it with a thin crust Boboli. I've done it both ways and it's just as good. (well you know, homemade compared to store bought) but if it will get you to try the recipe, by all means go for the boboli!

helene
07-30-2008, 11:46 AM
This looks so good.

dgeevanson
08-26-2008, 06:36 PM
THIS WAS AMAZING!!!! I made as written originally, not with the addition of pizza sauce and we thought it was perfect. Definate repeater. Thanks for posting. I did on a homemade crust.

cookncraze
08-27-2008, 07:34 AM
I recently tried grilling pizza & loved it! No seeping dough thru the grates. It'll be hard to actually want to make a pizza any other way after this! Trust me it's THE best way to make a pizza!