PDA

View Full Version : Muscat, Oman?

Meganator
07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
We just found out that some old friends are shipping out to Muscat, Oman in the next couple of weeks (oil company job). They are pretty excited because they really like the expat life (previous stints in Pakistan and Colombia) and have been stuck in Midland, TX for a year or so.

They will be coming for a visit tomorrow, and I'm sure have gotten all sorts of information, but I was curious about what anyone here might know. For example, how conservative is Oman for women (i.e., will my female friend have to wear a burkha when out of the house/compound?)? Previously they have lived outside of the expat/company compounds, but that may not be an option for them in that country and with the current state of the region.

Thanks,
Megan

SandyM
07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Megan,

I found this site (http://www.asiarooms.com/travel-guide/oman/oman-tourist-information/dos-and-donts-in-oman.html) using Google and searching for "etiquette for women in Oman". There are a few other sites listed also.

Wish I had the nerve to live as an expat like that. :)

shscharles
07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been to Oman a few times and it's somewhat conservative but nowhere near like neighboring countries. Women can drive, and wear pretty much what they like as long as it's modest. No cammies, shorts, bare midriff, miniskirts. Have your friend call the American Embassy and find out how to plug into the community. Most Embassies have a CLO (Community Liaison Officer) who will be happy to get her started.

She'll probably love it! And if she doesn't, she's a short flight from some of the most exotic destinations in the world...Asia, India, Saychelles, OMG, it's fabulous! Abandon preconceived notions and be open to adventure...:D