PDA

View Full Version : A good use for those ripe black bananas...

HealthyinMN
08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
We made these banana cupcakes on Saturday (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2008/08/let-those-bananas-go-extra-dark-for.html) and they were quite good! The banana flavor was strong and the frosting was just different enough with the honey and flecks of cinnamon... it was also not as sweet as I was expecting!

I did freeze a couple of the extras and let them defrost this morning... they survived well!

Banana Cupcakes with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting

http://bp2.blogger.com/_J-s7w5-Rv84/SJS4Eki6LFI/AAAAAAAAF0M/a4NvsrwGPk4/s400/BananaCupcake-7.jpg

For the cupcakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (can use all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For the frosting

1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

To prepare the cupcakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, bananas, eggs and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Evenly divide the mixture between the wells of a 12 cup muffin tin lined with paper liners.

Place into the oven and bake until a toothpick placed in the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 22 to 28 minutes. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.

To prepare the frosting

In a medium mixing bowl, beat together confectioners' sugar, butter, honey and cinnamon until very smooth, at least 2 to 4 minutes. Spread over the cupcakes.

Makes 12 cupcakes.

cniles
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
How timely Joe!!! I just threw 3 lovely black bananas in the freezer until I have time to make muffins/bread or now.... cupcakes!;) Thanks!!!