PDA

View Full Version : Rev: Tyler's Ultimate Garlic Shrimp

lizzieb75
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
DH and I love camarones mojo de ajo (shrimp with garlic) at our fave local Mexican restaurant. I started thinking over the weekend that I bet I could make it at home. What a pleasant surprise I had when I turned on Tyler's Ultimate on the Food Network yesterday morning and he was making the Ultimate Tapas- and camarones de ajo was one of his recipes! I took that as a sign and picked up some shrimp while at the store. This turned out so yummy! I almost felt silly, though, for writing down the recipe- I'd always thought it had to be more complicated that cooking shrimp in oil with garlic, but it wasn't.

Here are my modifications:
1. He used one cup of EVOO; I thought one cup was a little much for DH and me, so I just did "twice around the pan" for you Rachael Ray fans.
2. For the shrimp, I bought the frozen uncooked, peeled and deveined.
3. The recipe calls to cook in a terra cotta pan or other oval pan, but I had neither so I just used my regular skillet.
4. I used the jar of chopped garlic; my knife skills aren't the best so I chose convenience. The garlic toasted up nice and brown.

I served with tortillas and black beans. For the fixings, we had jalapenos and sour cream.

It got me to thinking I could use this same basic recipe and serve over pasta. I know for the more seasoned cooks I must sound like a complete fool to be so excited over finding a recipe for something that really didn't need it, but I'm one of those who almost needs a recipe for a green lettuce salad. Ha! :D

Shrimp with Toasted Garlic: Camerones De Ajo
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
10 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, tail off, split down middle
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon
1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped

Heat a terra cotta pot or a similar oval pan. Add olive oil and toss in sliced garlic. Bring to a bare simmer and keep on the lowest heat possible so the garlic toasts to a golden brown- about 15 minutes. Season shrimp with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add to the pot and remove from heat. Allow to cook until pink and tender. Finish by squeezing juice of whole lemon over shrimp and sprinkling with chopped parsley. Use a slotted spoon to fish out prawns and serve on a platter topped with toasted golden garlic shavings and parsley.

wallycat
08-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Your post is so sweet!
Shrimp and garlic are a dream combo.

dcollier
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
It sounds wonderful. I'm going to try it, and I'll definitely make it as you did. Cant' wait!

kcmo727
08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I know for the more seasoned cooks I must sound like a complete fool to be so excited over finding a recipe for something that really didn't need it, but I'm one of those who almost needs a recipe for a green lettuce salad. Ha! :D

Oh no, not at all! I think every cook starts out very recipe-reliant but with confidence and experience, your skills and cooking will change. You are off to a great start. :) I saw that episode as well and it made me want to go out and buy a terra cotta dish. Yum. Thanks for the great review and for your helpful notes.