PDA

View Full Version : Quick Barefoot Contessa roasted veg orzo salad question--sub for lemon juice?

gobluem82
08-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm making this salad for dinner tonight due to all of the rave reviews...BUT my family isn't a big fan of lemon juice. Has anyone used either balsamic or red wine vinegar instead; if so, which one would you recommend? TIA!

Middydd
08-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Do you have any white wine vinegar? I'd use that.

Second choice would be the red wine vinegar.

golden1225
08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
I make this salad all the time, and don't think your family will recognize the fact that there is lemon juice in it. Why don't you take a small bit aside and put in the lemon juice with the other seasoning ingredients and see what you think?

PAMMELA
08-11-2008, 07:54 AM
I make this salad all the time, and don't think your family will recognize the fact that there is lemon juice in it. Why don't you take a small bit aside and put in the lemon juice with the other seasoning ingredients and see what you think?

I completely agree - it doesn't taste like lemon AT ALL.

gobluem82
08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
I used white wine vinegar as middydd suggested. The salad certainly lived up to all of the hype! I subbed zucchini for the eggplant as my family doesn't care for it and added some coarsely chopped carrot as well. It was beautiful to look at, and delicious! Next time I make it, I'll use lemon juice and see how it compares.

golden1225
08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I also think your family will never know that there is eggplant in it. My husband turns his nose up at the mention of eggplant, but he LOVES this salad!! I don't tell him what's in it! I made it for a bunch of realtors and I can promise you if they knew there was eggplant in it, most would not have touched it. It's just yummy!!!
:):)