PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER: Olympic Swimming

jjsooner73
08-10-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm glad I had the TV on for this one!

The USA Mens' 4x100 freestyle relay team put it to the French of the French provided some good motivation by saying they were there to smash the US.

It was an amazing race all together, but a phenomenal finish by the US's anchor. They also smashed the world record by 4s.

Way to go USA!

Meg O'C
08-11-2008, 05:45 AM
I tried to stay awake just to catch this race (after I heard the comment the French swimmer made I knew I needed to see it)! I dozed off on the couch right before the race and woke up almost immediately after it - so I saw the end replayed a million times from every angle, all the celebrating, and the medal ceremony. I am kicking myself I missed the whole race! Still very exciting!

slknight
08-11-2008, 06:09 AM
That was probably the most amazing race I have EVER seen. DH and I were screaming. It was fabulous!!!:):):)

cumulus
08-11-2008, 06:39 AM
That race was AMAZING. I was up out of my chair cheering!

I almost felt bad forthe smack talking Frenchman who crumbled in the end. Almost. :p

Jazzmatazz49
08-11-2008, 07:03 AM
A question for you swimmer watchers: I was knitting a sock and missed this explanation if there was one. Why did only one of the 4 who made it to the finals actually get to compete in the finals? They were talking yesterday afternoon about how hard it would be to make a decision as to which swimmer would get to swim with 3 others who were pre-determined.

avariell
08-11-2008, 07:10 AM
I agree- one of the best races I have ever watched. GO USA. :)

Jazz- I believe Michael Phelps was competing in a prelim/race/something that prevented him from swimming in the qualifying race for the 4x100. But I think he had earned his spot on the relay team. So when the US qualifying team beat the world record in the prelim race, the coaches might have been left in a quandary as to who to should swim in the finals. I literally watched all day yesterday, so I vaguely remember watching the qualifiers and hearing something along those lines ;)

cumulus
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
A question for you swimmer watchers: I was knitting a sock and missed this explanation if there was one. Why did only one of the 4 who made it to the finals actually get to compete in the finals? They were talking yesterday afternoon about how hard it would be to make a decision as to which swimmer would get to swim with 3 others who were pre-determined.

The three on the final team were pre-determined (from the Olympic Trials), the four that swam in the prelims were competing for that fourth spot.

Kinda nice for Phelps and Co that they didn't really have to worry about the lead-in race and conserve their energy.

lisas3575
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
FYI, NBC.com has video of the relay if you missed it. :) What a great race! I got teary at the end.

Terri_A
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
It was extraordinary and awesome! For those who follow swimming you know how unlikely a win was by anyone other than France - it was a lot of US heart that got that touch .08s faster than bernard.

Meg O'C
08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
FYI, NBC.com has video of the relay if you missed it. :) What a great race! I got teary at the end.

Yes, I've watched it three times already. And it's great every time!

swedish cook
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Not to forget that Lezak smashed the world record for 100 freestyle in the process!

Laura
08-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Not to forget that Lezak smashed the world record for 100 freestyle in the process!

While Jason Lezak had the fastest relay split ever, it can't be a world record as it did not start from a flat start. Alain Bernard (the anchor for the French team) held the world record until Eamon Sullivan went off first. Because Sullivan's relay was from a flat start as opposed to a relay start it counted.
What amazes me is that Jason Lezak has been coaching himself for 2 years. I can't imagine having that type of discipline.

I agree; it was the most amazing relay I have ever seen.

swedish cook
08-11-2008, 04:58 PM
You're so right Laura. Fastest split was the expression Bob Costas used. Thanks for explaining the difference! :)

Jazzmatazz49
08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
The three on the final team were pre-determined (from the Olympic Trials), the four that swam in the prelims were competing for that fourth spot.

Kinda nice for Phelps and Co that they didn't really have to worry about the lead-in race and conserve their energy.

Thanks, I'll try to keep up from now on!:p
I got sucked into gymnastics last night, fell asleep before the swimming unfortunately.

SDMomChef
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
It was amazing!! I love the fact that the announcer (name unknown) on the start of the last leg said something to the effect of how he just didn't see how the U.S. could win because Jason was like half a body length behind Bernard. And...to see him gaining on Bernard and overtaking him was AMAZING!

Thanks for the link...I've seen clips of the end, but the kids want to see the whole race (they couldn't stay up that late to watch it live). I'm so enjoying the swimming this year!

Valerie226
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
I didn't see another thread on the Olympics so thought I'd stick this in here. Did you watch the women's gymnastics? Did you look at the chinese "women"? Good grief, they are supposed to be 16? exactly who are they trying to fool? Gymnasts are generally small in stature, granted, but a couple of those girls look like 10-12. They don't even look like they are near puberty!

avariell
08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I didn't see another thread on the Olympics so thought I'd stick this in here. Did you watch the women's gymnastics? Did you look at the chinese "women"? Good grief, they are supposed to be 16? exactly who are they trying to fool? Gymnasts are generally small in stature, granted, but a couple of those girls look like 10-12. They don't even look like they are near puberty!

NBC actually did a story on this topic- apparently a Chinese newspaper (how the heck was the newspaper allowed to print this story in China?!) uncovered some evidence that birth records were forged to make the girls appear 16 in 2008. Who knows if it is true or not, but it does make the competition more interesting.

Valerie226
08-12-2008, 02:30 PM
We've been channel surfing so much so fast that I must have missed the NBC story. I heard that Bela Karoli was complaining about it but never got more than a few seconds of the story. all you need to do is look at the girls. they are excellent gymnasts but 16? Not a chance.... the make up was a futile attempt to make them look older. I have a 10 year old niece who is really into sports, volleyball and soccer, and she looks like them!

Terri_A
08-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Major Spoiler below....

Phelps just set an all-time record. He's now the won more golds than anyone....ever. Amazing.

pharmarepgirl
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Major Spoiler below....

Phelps just set an all-time record. He's now the won more golds than anyone....ever. Amazing.

That was AWESOME!!! Watching him swim is amazing! I think he must be part dolphin!

Miss Giggles
08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
And he did it with water in his goggles. Amazing.

Gumbeaux
08-16-2008, 03:39 PM
That was AWESOME!!! Watching him swim is amazing! I think he must be part dolphin!

Talking about awesome and amazing, Michael Phelps (on the left) won the 100 meter butterfly by one-hundredth of a second even though it looks like he will loose from looking at the picture below.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/bayoutitan/Albun5/Phelps.jpg

Gumbeaux
08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Phelps does it!!!! Eight gold metals!!!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/bayoutitan/Albun5/Phelps8.jpg