PDA

View Full Version : What can you use if you don't have a potato ricer???

suebear37
08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
We're in the midst of the New York State fair here & so all the local news channels are broadcasting live from the fair. Yesterday, they showed the winning potato contest recipe & I'll share it here:

Parmesan Artichoke Potato Casserole
From Marjorie Graham, Skaneateles, NY

5 russet potatoes
2 cups Parmesan cheese
1- 14 oz, can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped into small pieces
2 cups mayonnaise
8 oz. cream cheese
5 tsp. minced garlic
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup each Parmesan cheese & bread crumbs, mixed
paprika

Peel potatoes, cube & boil until tender.
Put potatoes through a potato ricer.
Mix potatoes with artichokes & rest of ingredients through salt & pepper.
Place into greased casserole & sprinkle with bread crumb mixture, then top with paprika.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes & garnish with minced parsley.

The TV anchors raved about it!

I don't have a ricer... anybody have any suggestions for what I could use in its place? I've survived 30 years without one & can't justify buying one for one recipe!!!

Gumbeaux
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Maybe this?

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/images/wire_potato_masher.jpg

sneezles
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Maybe this?

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/images/wire_potato_masher.jpg

I agree, the only advantage to the ricer is a smoother end product but smashed are smashed...

Home Chef
08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Do you have a food mill? Otherwise I'd just mash the potatoes and continue. I love both potatoes and artichokes!

suebear37
08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't have a food mill, but I do have a masher!!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

jessicacoy
08-29-2008, 09:49 AM
In the past I have used a rubber/silicone spatula and pushed squash and potatoes through my metal strainer (the finer mesh one used for draining noodles, etc). It is slow and painstaking, but it does work and you get a nice smooth product. This year a food mill is going on my wish list though! (For what it is worth.....if I were making the recipe you posted I'd probably just go the lazier route and mash them though!)

Jessica

suebear37
08-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Or I could put them piece by piece through my garlic press... ;)

jessicacoy
08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Or I could put them piece by piece through my garlic press... ;)

Excellent idea!!!! Why didn't I think of that? :D

Jessica

dreamer101
08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
LOL You would need a lot of patience to use a garlic press instead of a ricer. A masher would do the job. You just wouldn't get the fluffy airy texture that you would from a ricer.

Robyn1007
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't have a food mill, but I do have a masher!!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will tell you that my potato ricer, although it's mostly a unitasker (I use it for both sweet and regular potatoes and to squeeze moisture out of frozen spinach) it's one of the best $15 I've spent. I love what it does to my mashers.

dreamer101
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
WOW! Thanks for the tip on getting the water out of spinach with the ricer. I never would have thought of that.

Robyn1007
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
WOW! Thanks for the tip on getting the water out of spinach with the ricer. I never would have thought of that.

I think I read it here at some point actually. :)

Canice
08-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I will tell you that my potato ricer, although it's mostly a unitasker (I use it for both sweet and regular potatoes and to squeeze moisture out of frozen spinach) it's one of the best $15 I've spent. I love what it does to my mashers.

Yup, I agree with all the above! And I'm no fan of the unitasker.
I have a friend who swears by mashed potatoes made with the whisk attachment of her KitchenAid, though I've never tried it.

margeslp
08-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi Sue, didn't realize you lived so close to me. Do you have a dog? We could meet at Good Dog Park sometime.

I used the Oxo good grips ricer. Anyway you can break the potatoes up with a hand masher will do.
I worked on that recipe all year! It is actually that famous Hot Artichoke dip combined with potatoes. Judges gave me 100% of points in appearance, texture and flavor. I was looking for the WOW factor and had to double the cheese and garlic when I added the potatoes.

shscharles
08-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Congratulations, Margeslp! We have another winner here on the BB! :D

margeslp
08-30-2008, 04:02 PM
I think all of us are worthy to enter local if not state or national competition. I am lucky enough to be close to Syracuse to enter State Fair. We all care deeply about quality of what we cook. One of my winners was based on a recipe from our board.

sneezles
08-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Congratulations Marge! Regardless of the fact that we're mostly foodies it does take an extra bit of courage to actually enter a contest! Well done!

SheRa
08-30-2008, 04:34 PM
GREAT tip on squeezing spinach water out! i have a ricer that someone got for me, and i don't think i've ever used it! i like my mashed potatoes a little chunkier.

do you have one of those grater attachments for your food processor? maybe you could put the cooked potatoes through there for a similar texture? the pieces would be a little bigger, but it might work.

susan_foster
08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
I've thought about getting a ricer because I have a recipe for sweet potato or pumpkin gnocchi (I always forget which, until I look at the recipe) that calls for using one. I really want to do the recipe, but I might get wild and not get a ricer, because I never, EVER make mashed potatoes. I just don't.

Susan
(And a lovely random post that was!)

Chocolate Rose
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Congratulations, Marge!

I made your recipe last night and was told that these were the best potatoes EVER! Even my dh, who thinks he hates artichoke hearts LOVED it. I made half the recipe, just guessed at amounts. I don't have a potato ricer, so just mashed the potatoes. I have the masher that Gumbeau posted a pic of.

Thanks, Marge. Great recipe!

Cookin4Love
09-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I made this today, just to take for lunches throughout the week. Then my daughters called and came over, with DD#1 bringing her husband and children. They all profess to dislike artichokes, and DD#2 just about choked when she saw the mayonnaise. However, about 1/4 of the pan is gone--and that's just what they ate while we were waiting for the lunch we planned to eat today to be ready!

You did a great job on the recipe Marge, and my family is certainly sold. Congratulations!