PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts... to freeze this cooked or raw

CHRIST1NE
09-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I found this wonderful recipe for Turkey Meatloaf (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/TURKEY-MEATLOAF-107599)on Epicurious. It's only me and my DH so it took 4-ever to finish the loaf.

Next time I make it, I will split it into 2 loaves. My question is.... do you think it would be better to freeze it after I've cooked it or while it's still raw?

Many thanks.

PS -- I thought it would have more of a mushroom taste, but it doesn't. They must add to the moistness as it's one of the most moist meatloaves I've made (without being soggy). My only changes were to only use 1/2 of a large onion and Panko breadcrumbs rather than fresh.

Thanks again!
Christine

Bawstinn
09-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I have frozen CL's Spinach-Turkey Meatloaf several times. I usually freeze it after it has been cooked. I have never frozen one raw.

ljt2r
09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
If you buy your turkey frozen (or freeze it yourself) I think I would cook it first. Aren't things not supposed to be thawed and then frozen again?

mundy
09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I like to bake meatloaf first and then freeze in single serving portions. Great to grab for a quick lunch or dinner when dining alone. It takes a long time for a meatloaf to defrost in the refrigerator and I feel the outside gets overdone if placed in the oven frozen. Another reason why I bake first.

champlain
09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I've frozen uncooked meatloaf before without any problems. Just make sure you mark the package as 'uncooked' meatloaf. :)

DanaSD
09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I always make an extra meatloaf and freeze it uncooked. It is however, a little softer (doesn't hold its shape as well - I don't cook it in a pan) but tastes almost as good (and considering there is less work its even better!).

Our favorite is Martha Stewarts 101 - yum! but a lot of ingredients.

Canice
09-10-2008, 10:28 PM
I've frozen uncooked meatloaf with no problem. In fact, it wouldn't have occurred to me to cook it first: doesn't it get dried out reheated? I cook for only 1-2 so I prefer smaller portions. Also, I've turned it into meatballs for soup or pasta.

SusanL
09-11-2008, 02:38 AM
but I COOKED mini-meatloaves and muffin meatloaves. How do I prepare them after they are frozen? (Never thought to freeze them before cooking! Next time I will just freeze.) Microwave them, defrost-then bake?
But how do I reheat cooked, frozen items listed above?

Mamasue
09-11-2008, 04:02 AM
I freeze uncooked turkey meatloaf mixture with no problems. Beef too. I will pick up a package for two meals, mix and divide then Foodsave for another meal whether it be burgers, meatloaf or meatballs. If the mixture( after it thaws) seems to wet to you add a little more breadcrumbs but I never had to.

cangoss
09-11-2008, 06:35 AM
There was a CL recipe for muffin meatloaves a couple of years ago that has become a go-to winter recipe in our household . I always double it, bake all of it, and then freeze the extras in a ziplock bag. I usually defrost them in the microwave and then put them on a baking pan in the toaster oven so they get a little bit of the "crunch" back on the outside.

Donnaluv2cruise
09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
I also freeze mine raw, takes a little time to defrost, but I lower the heat a little and cover towards the end so it doesn't dry out or over brown.

I 2nd Martha Stewarts recipe for 101 meatloaf. I've been making it for years. I usually double the recipe and get 5 or 6 meatloafs. But that's only for two people. I do like to use the beef, pork, and veal combo. The topping is great! :D

ljt2r
09-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I notice none of you who freeze uncooked are addressing my point--for my own curiosity I am now wondering--do you worry about re-freezing the meat? Or are you using never-frozen meat?

I am not a big meatloaf fan, but from a taste perspective, I think freezing it uncooked would be much tastier.

potato_moose
09-11-2008, 08:42 AM
I notice none of you who freeze uncooked are addressing my point--for my own curiosity I am now wondering--do you worry about re-freezing the meat? Or are you using never-frozen meat?

I'm another who freezes meatloaf uncooked. I don't worry about re-freezing meat. I do it all the time with no problems. Experts these days are saying that as long as the meat has always been at a safe temperature (ie thawed in a refrigerator) that there really isn't a problem with it. I suppose there is no way to know how the meat has been handled before it gets to you, but it's a risk I have decided is small enough that I don't need to worry about it.

I_luv_2_bake
09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I always thought that the refreezing meat rule was due to the fact that when the meat thaws the blood drains out of the meat. Refreezing it would leave the meat dry. I think you could make your meatloaf with frozen meat and then freeze the meatloaf without any problems. I could be very wrong. If someone knows better than I, please correct me. I freeze my meatloaves uncooked in mini-loaves on a sheet pan. I then take them and put them in a freezer bag. When I'm ready for them I take out as many as I need, thaw, and bake them (I actually bake mine in the microwave without a problem.

Mamasue
09-11-2008, 10:54 AM

I am not a big meatloaf fan, but from a taste perspective, I think freezing it uncooked would be much tastier.

Laura....I have re-frozen with no problems but most of the time I make a mixture with fresh meat. HTH

:)

Bawstinn
09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
In fact, it wouldn't have occurred to me to cook it first: doesn't it get dried out reheated? I cook for only 1-2 so I prefer smaller portions. Also, I've turned it into meatballs for soup or pasta.

No, I never have an issue with it drying out - tastes just like one that was just cooked.

Note that I reheat it from a defrosted state and not a frozen state. I also reheat in the oven and not the microwave.

Robyn1007
09-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm another who freezes meatloaf uncooked. I don't worry about re-freezing meat. I do it all the time with no problems. Experts these days are saying that as long as the meat has always been at a safe temperature (ie thawed in a refrigerator) that there really isn't a problem with it. I suppose there is no way to know how the meat has been handled before it gets to you, but it's a risk I have decided is small enough that I don't need to worry about it.

I thought the bigger problem with re-freezing meat was the texture? :confused: But I tend to agree as long as it's been handled carefully and cooked to proper temp I wouldn't worry safety wise.

Canice
09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm sure that whatever ground meats I buy have never been frozen because they grind them at the butcher shop, but if you're buying from a supermarket, how would you know??

Donnaluv2cruise
09-11-2008, 03:17 PM

I have never made it with frozen meat. I always buy it the day I plan on making it, or at the very least, the next day, then freeze.

CHRIST1NE
09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks so much everyone... next time I make it I'm going to try freezing one uncooked.