PDA

View Full Version : OT:What do you send as thank you presents?

suziking
08-01-2001, 11:39 AM
I am curious to see what people send as thank you presents - from on-line companies. Like for example, I wanted to send a family with two kids a $30-40 thank you present. I am all flowered out.

I have sent Corky's BBQ and Legal Seafood - but that sometimes gets expensive.

Does anybody have any creative suggestions? Doesn't have to be food.

Thanks in advance! Suzi

MelissaAS
08-01-2001, 11:46 AM
Try redenvelope.com they have neat stuff but a little pricey. They're my favorite on-line gifter lately. Williams Sonoma, Crate and Barrel and LLBean are also favorites!

SandyM
08-01-2001, 11:46 AM
I've used http://www.southernseason.com./shopping.asp (as recommended by someone on this bb), and the recipient was very, very pleased.

Speaking from a hometown standpoint, www.spoon.com has wonderful, all-natural items to choose from. I use their jams, jellies, and dried fruits exclusively. Their customer service can't be beat.

Wendy w
08-01-2001, 11:54 AM
The Spice House has some really nice gift packages. My sister and brother in law really like the Old Chicago one which includes a cookbook.

KathrynY
08-01-2001, 12:14 PM
There's always Penzey's - their gift boxes come stuffed with bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and nutmegs in between the bottles of spices.. smells wonderful!

I'm partial to the jams and mustards at www.stonewallkitchen.com , and would also second SandyM's suggestion of American Spoon Foods.

At Christmas, I send a lot of Florida oranges and grapefruit from www.halegroves.com - they do carry other varieties of fresh fruit year 'round, but I haven't tried anything else.

Oh, yeah - I just checked out Southern Seasons' web site and they have tar heel shaped cookies! My SIL is a tar heel and I know just what she's getting for Christmas now!! :D

Peeps
08-01-2001, 12:15 PM
You can't go wrong with A Southern Season, as SandyM said. They have great food baskets in all price ranges and styles. For higher end, really gorgeous baskets, www.startreatment.com is the best.

Rose Ann
08-01-2001, 01:48 PM
We usually send a Chocolate Card from Hershey's that says THANK YOU and they personalize it too. :p

Rose Ann
08-01-2001, 01:55 PM
http://www.hersheygifts.com/hersheys/default.asp?o=X7C30UG3GDS92PDC00AKHDLPQ5FP8EXB In case anyone is interested this will make it easy

suziking
08-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Rose Ann -

What a cool web site and the prices are right!!!! Thanks a ton!

Suzi

Rose Ann
08-01-2001, 02:17 PM
The cards are just as nice as the pictures, the best part is you don't have to eat any of it or smell it either.
I use them as gifts at work for the holidays too.

catharine
08-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Ummm, ehh… I consider myself a very polite person but what kind of stuff are you folks sending all of these great thank you presents for? When I stay with someone or visit for a meal I usually bring something with me and then send a thank you note. What are all of you kind folks up to?

Rose Ann
08-01-2001, 02:23 PM
I keep a thatnk you choc card on hand and take it to dinner, or when a company does a really great job. Like the well driller etc. I will send on to them.
My son got the one I had at home Sat night for his first dinner party- the ideas are endless:p

suziking
08-01-2001, 02:24 PM
I live like 5 hours from a good mall and my future brother-in-law's sister went shopping for me and outfitted my 4 year old son with a dapper outfit for my sister and her brother's wedding. and I have never met her before. So...

I also have such a hard time remembering to bring a house warming gift when I visit my friends so I usually come home adn say - I really should have brought something. Poor planning on my part!!

Jacque O
08-01-2001, 02:45 PM
In St. Louis, there's a custom gift basket business called "All Wrapped Up" that will create a basket for you based on your budget, and the gender/age/hobbies/personal preferences of the recipient. Although I think this is a fairly small local operation, I'll bet there are similar services in most large urban areas --and since they deliver and you order over the phone anyway, it doesn't matter if you don't live in one!

Other ideas include "Cookies by Design," "Candy Bouquets" and similar companies that will send personalized cookie and candy bouquets. The custom basket and candy bouquet companies have been particularly useful when sending a get well or birthday or thank you gift to a male (including young/teenage boys).

Jacque O

Little Bit
08-01-2001, 05:44 PM
I adore reading, have no trouble finding any number of cookbooks I'd like, and always appreciate a gift certificate from a bookstore, online or not. Depending on the recipient, of course, this sort of thing might well go over like a lead balloon, LOL!! (I adore www.powellsbooks.com since they sell both used and new books, and they do gift certificates.)
I've had few problems with www.sephora.com, so that might be a fun choice, but if you want to send a gift certificate for the website, your recipient has to have internet access and an e-mail address to use it.
www.blissout.com does gift certificates, but their website is being renovated, so right now that might not be the best choice. (Customer service is fine, but the online site is a bit iffy for now.)

Let me add my own praise to that of those recommending A Southern Season and Penzey's. Wonderful stores, great baskets.

Don't forget though, gifts of chocolate might melt in the summer heat, so pick something less fragile while temperatures are so high.

AGC
08-01-2001, 06:15 PM
Wow, SandyM, too funny! The first thing I thought of was A Southern Season, as well!! We sent a great basket to our neighbors whom we had only met once, as we had just moved in. They came over at 1 am to stay with our kids when my husband took me to the ER for a stomach virus gone way,way bad. We had literally no one else to call and thank Heavens they are nice people!
The other time we sent one to my brother-in-law the attorney in Atlanta for spending 2hours on the phone with me from his office. He talked us into what turned out to be a lucrative and smart move, buying this house!!
The 3rd was to my cousin for the holidays.
In each case the recipients were very happy. Its so easy to have something sent to people. Each basket was 30-55 dollars.
Good luck. You're very thoughtful!
~amy

Robyncz
08-01-2001, 08:59 PM
What a great thread! Is there any way for me to save it for future reference?

Two more ideas:
Actual living plants (as opposed to cut flowers) from Jackson and Perkins
www.jacksonandperkins.com

Yummy fruits and things from Harry and David. The chocolate-covered dried fruits (blueberries, cherries, strawberries, and apricots) make a great thank you gift.
www.harryanddavid.com

Lynn B
08-03-2001, 05:30 PM
For a special "thank you", I like to bake several different varieties of biscotti, and wrap them festively in plastic bags tied w/ ribbons, jute, etc. Then I add some flavored coffees and teas, (maybe even some mugs) to the package, and mail. I think it's as fun to make as it is to receive! :)

Lynn

Leonard
08-04-2001, 06:54 AM
I always send something from Wolferman's Muffins. Their products are delicious! They have both sweet and savory muffins. You can create your own assortment to send. Everyone like a muffin. For breakfast, snack, for lunch or with tea or coffee. You can't go wrong. I've been sending their stuff for 15 yrs with many grateful recipents! www.wolferman.com