PDA

View Full Version : Non-Alcoholic Not Overly Sweet Baby Shower Punch Recipe Ideas?

Vinca
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I found out late Friday I am the one who will be planning a coworkerís baby shower at the office. I donít have a lot of time and need a punch recipe. The colors I decided on for the shower will be pastels so I donít want a bright red punch. Most of the recipes I have seen look to be REAL sweet with fake ingredients like Jello and Kool-Aid. Iíll admit I havenít made punch in a long time but seriously has something changed while I wasnít looking? Iíll have 15 to 20 guests at the shower both male and female. Would love to have a punch that would appeal to adults and not 10 year olds.

I found a Mock Champagne recipe online and it several good reviews saying this punch is refreshing and not overly sweet. I was hoping to make a small batch over the weekend but I am nursing a cold and decided against it. The punch could taste like gasoline and I wouldnít know.The Mock Champagne recipe looks pretty and doesnít seem so sweet. I like that it has few ingredients. Has anyone tried this recipe before or something similar? Not sure when I will be able to taste again and time short. I posted the link for the recipe also because I couldn't get the photo to post.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mock-Champagne-2/Detail.aspx

Mock Champagne

INGREDIENTS
2 (2 liter) bottles ginger ale, chilled
1 (46 fluid ounce) can pineapple juice, chilled
1 (64 fluid ounce) bottle white grape juice, chilled

DIRECTIONS
1. To make Ice ring: Fill a ring-shaped cake pan to 1/2 with ginger ale.
Freeze until partially frozen. At this stage you can place edible flowers, or
pieces of fruit around the ring. Fill pan with ginger ale and freeze until
solid. Place in punch bowl just before serving.
2. In a large punch bowl, combine 1 bottle ginger ale, pineapple juice and
white grape juice.

I also searched the boards and ran across one or two that might work. LakeMartinGal posted a punch recipe a while back that doesnít look too sweet but not sure of what color it ends up. Does anyone know?

TIA :)

09-27-2007, 12:25 PM
LakeMartinGal
It's brighter up ahead! Join Date: Feb 2006

Our favorite punch -- a sure crowd pleaser is:

1 12oz can frozen OJ
1 6oz can frozen lemonade
1 lg can apple juice
1 2L bottle of either ginger ale or 7-Up (we prefer ginger ale)

Mix all together, float ice.

Great leftover, too!

over50newbie
10-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Our favorite punch is very similar to the one that you found, only we use just two ingredients - ginger ale and Welch's White Grape Juice. No pineapple juice. Then we take different flavors of sherbert and float them on top. The sherbert melts a little and adds great flavor to the punch.

With your pastel theme, the sherbert would look really pretty (light orange, pink, light green, etc). And then you wouldn't have to make an ice ring.

Just make sure that the ginger ale and white grape juice are cold when you first mix them together in your punch bowl. You don't even need ice because the sherbert melts and keeps it cold.

For so few ingredients, it is a surprisingly delicious punch!

Lynette

Missi
10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I always do something similar to Lynette, but with only two ingredients. Put in scoops of any kind of sherbert into your punch bowl and then add Sprite (Seven-up, etc) and stir. Not too sweet at all, impressive, and seriously couldn't be any easier. You can choose color of sherbert that fits your theme. I have been making this for years and everyone always loves it and no one suspects how easy it is.

Good luck with your party!

Vinca
10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Lynette & Missi, thank you for your quick responses and great ideas. I love the way both of you think. Less is more in this case! I should be able to work with your suggestions with no problem. Thanks again.

Vinca
11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Thank you again for your punch suggestions. I ended up making Missiís punch. The punch went over very well.

Planning this shower from start to finish was a nightmare. I had a bad cold during the early stages of the planning and shopping. What made me the most crazy was that no one RSVPíd even with email reminders so I was never able to get a head count. Everything went down hill from there. A very frustrating experience! I have been able to plan a meal for 200 people easier than this shower for less than 15. Fortunately the mother to be was very surprised and recieved very nice gifts. I am grateful for that.

I_luv_2_bake
11-08-2008, 06:33 PM
I see the shower is over, but my favorite punch is equal parts of white grape juice and ginger ale. I know what you mean about people not RSVPing. Why is it so difficult to RSVP? I'm glad the mother-to-be received nice gifts and she was surprised ~ that's what it's all about :)