PDA

View Full Version : ISO: White Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding Recipe

Elisabeth
08-03-2001, 04:48 PM
I promised a friend who's moving next week that I would make White Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding for her one more time this weekend--but can't find the recipe! It was in Bon Appetit (I think--though there's a small chance it was Gourmet!) really recently--my guess would be June or July issue, since those are the only two issues I can't find in my admittedly disorganized recipe/cookbook/magazine basket. If I recall correctly, it was in the beginning section--the R.S.V.P., for example, from Bon Appetit. A search on epicurious.com turned up nothing. Can anyone help??

Thanks!!

Gail
08-03-2001, 05:43 PM
It was the July issue. Sounds really good...

BANANA-WHITE CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING
The restaurant serves this bread pudding with a caramel-whiskey sauce. For an easy version, warm one cup purchased caramel sauce and stir in whiskey to taste, about two to three tablespoons.

8 servings

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 pounds bananas (about 6), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (about 5 cups)
2 teaspoons plus 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
6 large eggs

12 1/2-inch-thick slices challah or other egg bread (about 24 ounces total), each slide cut in half diagonally
9 ounces good-quality white chocolate (such as Baker's or Lindt), chopped

Butter 13 x 19 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bananas; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar and cinnamon. SautÚ bananas till golden and very soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash bananas with back of fork.

Pour whipping cream into heavy medium saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into cream; add bean. Bring to simmer. Using slotted spoon, remove bean and discard. Whisk eggs and remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk hot cream into egg mixture. Stir mashed banana mixture into custard.

Arrange 12 bread triangles in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle bread with half of chopped white chocolate. Pour half of custard over. Repeat layering with remaining bread triangles, white chocolate and custard. Let stand 1 hour, pressing on bread to submerge occasionally.

Preheat oven to 350║ F. Bake pudding until puffed, brown and tester inserted into custard comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Serve warm.

Elisabeth
08-04-2001, 08:01 AM
Thank you so much for the quick reply!! I would hate to have disappointed my friend. It really is an incredible dessert--though about the farthest thing you can imagine from light cooking. I don't like white chocolate, so I substituted bittersweet--just fantastic! My rule is that I will only make it to serve a crowd, since I don't want to eat all of this myself.