PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Check in

Chefzhat
11-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Okay, so weeks have passed since I've had a saturday to brag about. :) But today . . . today . . . today is the big charity event that I have been planning for a year. I'll be glad to have the pressure off! Everything is all ready to go, the dress and shoes are purchased, the plans are all set, 300 dinners are being made, and my speech is written and well practiced. And at the end I get a night in a hotel with my DH!! For this event - even with the economy the way it is - we were able to raise $100,000. I'm pretty pleased.

Today is Rob's birthday - sure doesn't seem like he should be 14 already. But there you go. We took him out last night to celebrate. Right now it is raining and crummy here. Figures.

What's everyone else doing?

Sarah428
11-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Good morning Debie and Happy Birthday to Rob!

Congrats on the event and all the money raised, that's wonderful! Now sit back, relax and enjoy the evening. If you don't mind, what charity event was/is it?

I already got my morning run in (had to meet my partner at 4:45am today instead of our normal 6am:eek:) laundry is done, and pancakes are made waiting for Owen to get up. Just sitting here with my coffee on CLBB and QVC ordering BE make-up;)

I'm also waiting for DH to get up so we can start working on the drywall in the kitchen remodel (Hey DH, get up!!!!). We must have it sanded, walls primed & painted and cabinet in by Thursday to have the counters measured...I'm a ticking time bomb right now!:cool: I have to work this afternoon but the rest of the weekend will be kitchen stuff and hanging with the kids.

Sarah

breadmama
11-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Debie, I hope your evening is a blast! Happy Birthday to Rob!
Sarah - running already? You put me to shame.:D (especially considering what I've been doing this a.m....see below)

I got up early and preheated the oven for the Chocolate Croissants that I found at Trader Joe's yesterday...they needed to rise overnight and they look AWESOME!!!!! I am currently waiting for them to cool so I can try one. It will be a "remember Paris" moment, I am sure.:D

(But while they were baking, I was looking up info on rice cookers and thinking about getting oatmeal - really good and hearty oatmeal - back in the rotation around here. So, Debie, if you have time, check out the Great Food thread b/c I just asked you a question over there...thanks!:))

Today will be a day of jobs around the house, along with errands with kids for glasses, haircuts, etc. Then out tonight with some friends.:)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

breadmama
11-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Just reporting back that that was the most decadent and fabulous treat I have had in a long time...MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Wish I knew how to post a picture.

I would highly recommend these to anyone who wants to impress family and friends with light, buttery, flaky chocolate croissant wonderfulness!

I found the small box in the Trader Joe's freezer section. There are four in the box, and they rise tremendously at room temp overnight. Totally a calorie splurge, but my, oh, my, what a divine treat!

Just had to share.....:)

Spotted Pony
11-08-2008, 06:40 AM
$100,000! That's great! Our local humane shelter had a dinner and silent auction Thursday night and made over $24,000. Considering they ran out of food in July, this is huge! It will make such a difference. I just hope the board has the business sense to spend/save wisely. As a part of the silent auction, I bought a large pizza a month for a year from Pizza Hut...for $155!

Today, I plan to fight the never ending battle against dirty dishes and laundry. So far, I am losing. Where do all these dishes come from?!

pharmarepgirl
11-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Wow!! $100K, that is great! Enjoy your night and your accomplishments!

Those croissants sound divine! I am jealous but after the holiday we had this past week I think I need to hit the gym instead of the chocolate! So, today will be spent unpacking and cleaning up after the holiday...back to the real world!

Robyn1007
11-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Happy, happy birthday Rob!

Debie, enjoy tonight and nice job on raising that money.

Breadmama, that croissant sounds amazing.

Spotted Pony, I seem to loose that battle as well and it's only me in my apartment!

Today I need to do my last fitness exam of the week. My trainer has me do these every 4 weeks to gauge out my body is doing. Today is run so I'll warm up for 10 minutes and then run as hard as I can for 10 minutes and measure my distance and heart rate. I've already done my swim and bike exam this week.

I also want to head over to the Apple store. I'm getting an iPhone in a couple of weeks (as soon as my contract is up!) so I need to decide what case I want and get a car charger. The AT&T store doesn't have much at all so while that will be the most convenient place to get the phone I don't think I'll get me accessories there. The case is important to me because of my active lifestyle and the protection it needs.

Tomorrow, I ski! :D

LakeMartinGal
11-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Good morning!

Debie, you must be so proud, both of the charity event -- $100,000 is wonderful! And of your son being 14! He always sounds so special in your posts! Hope you enjoy your evening!

Sarah, good luck on the drywall... Get up, DH;)

Laurie -- those croissants sound incredible. I'll just have to enjoy them vicariously, though... my jeans are telling me to cut back!

Spotted pony -- I know! Who makes all those dishes, anyway? There are 3 of us, but I'm the only one who knows where the dishwasher is, and how to fill/empty it! $24,000 is HUGE for the humane shelter!! Congrats!

Pharmarepgirl -- welcome back to the real world!:p

Ah, Robyn -- back to your real world tomorrow! The slopes!:cool:

Today for me is laundry and working on the Christmas gifts... and trying to get over this d@mn cold, which just won't leave!

Canice
11-08-2008, 01:04 PM
That's awesome, Debie! Congratulations on doing such a great job.

Spotted Pony, your auction reminds me of my friend who bought a $200 gift certificate to Morton's for $250 :p.

Happy skiing Robyn!

I'm off to Sonoma in a few minutes for a lovely autumn stroll with an old friend. I'm bringing a loaf of pumpkin streussel bread that I made last night :).

KAnn
11-08-2008, 01:21 PM
$100,000! That's great! Our local humane shelter had a dinner and silent auction Thursday night and made over $24,000. Considering they ran out of food in July, this is huge! It will make such a difference. I just hope the board has the business sense to spend/save wisely. As a part of the silent auction, I bought a large pizza a month for a year from Pizza Hut...for $155!

Oh, wow! That is fantastic! I just delivered 8 dozen cookies for a shelter bake sale that will maybe raise $50...every bit helps, though.

Good luck, Debbie, and have a fabulous time!

I am off to work after having been home since Tuesday with a virus.