PDA

View Full Version : Info on Detox Diet/Cleanses

Romandub
11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
A couple of weeks ago I saw a segment on Good Morning America on detox diets (some call them cleansers.) The gist of the diet or cleanse is that you stop eating and drinking all the stuff that's bad for you and let your body cleanse itself out, with the help of juices or supplements. As I understand it, different products, take different approaches. I was thinking of trying one, but wanted to hear if anyone on the BB has done this. I would definitely do one of the shorter versions, i.e. 4-6 days. Anyone done this? If so, which product or diet did you follow?

Jazzmatazz49
11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Are those things really useful? I have always thought it was kind of a fad, and could be more dangerous than helpful. My information is that the liver takes care of detox. I would definitely check it out first.

KristiB
11-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I'll be blunt. I think they're a waste of time and money.

Stick to eating right and exercising. The liver, kidneys and intestines are the best detox.

GingerPow
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
The best way to cleanse is to eat whole, raw fruit and raw or steamed vegetables - preferably organic. Drinks lots of water, preferable with fresh squeezed lemon juice added. There are some good detox teas available that do not taste like poison.;) Fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies are helpful during a cleanse too. Avoid any wheat products, dairy, sugar, caffeine, artificial products like artificial sweetners, sodas, candy, etc.

Sprinkle ground golden flax seed on your salad, or mix in water or a smoothie. If you want to give your liver a boost with the cleanse, the best supplement is milk thistle, a good product is Liv-R-Actin. I mix a spoonful of KyoGreen into a glass of water or something like a watermelon smoothie. Doesn't taste great, but it's excellent nutritionally.

The pure food and water you are ingesting is enough to give the body a break from digesting heavy foods and deal with toxins without buying any kind of cleansing or supplement kit. Just my .02.

Before starting a dietary cleanse, eat lighter food the day before. A cleanse of just 2-3 days can do wonders. You'll see the difference in your eyes, skin and breath. However, for a first-time cleanse, a headache or fatigue is very common the first day but it passes. Best to start on a day you'll be at home. Don't allow yourself to be hungry. Just keep eating fresh food or a big smoothie.

Although they're popular, I'm not a fan of pure juice fasts/cleansing because of the lack of fiber. Many people think this is the way to go, then they wonder why they end up constipated.

Let us know if you decide to try it Romandub!

blazedog
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Kristi is correct -- the body doesn't have to be "detoxed" unless you have ingested poison -- in which case drinking high priced water or whatever is in the carp they are peddling isn't going to do a thing -- you need to speed right over to an emergency room.

To the extent they are used for weight loss, they work because you are taking in a low number of calories.

All of these elixirs and potions are based on a complete misunderstanding of how the body functions as it is normally self cleansing through the liver, kidneys and pores of the skin. To the extent there are pollutants in the environment or in the food/water we take in, juice isn't going to detoxify anything -- the best one can do is eat well and avoid ingesting toxic stuff like high amounts of alcohol or drugs which strain the liver -- and be aware of toxic agents in one's environment -- radon, asbestos, cigarette smoke.

funniegrrl
11-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, I've never seen a "detox" routine that I've thought was anything other than rubbish. They're all based on myth and pseudo-science. Going on a juice fast or taking laxatives (which most "cleanse" products are) isn't going to clean out your system any faster than just switching to a healthier diet. If you have a "toxin" level built up to the point that your liver can't handle it, you need medical attention, not a magical combination of juices or whatever.

Now, if you want to go on a limited regimen for a few days to give yourself a psychological break to transition from bad eating to healthy, that's one thing. But you're not going to get any physical benefit from it.