PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Price for Christmas Gift?

jmarie
11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
My husband was looking at a Williams-Sonoma Catalog and he was very interested in some flat ware until he saw the price of it. $289.00 for a 20 piece set.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/5463997/index.cfm?clg=44&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=FRO&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default

Laguiole Flatware, 20-Piece Set, Ivory
Internet/Catalog Only

In the heart of the French countryside, the Dubost family has been creating this flatware since 1920. The design was inspired by a shepherd's knife first manufactured in the village of Laguiole in the 19th century. Slightly curved with a tiny bee (the symbol of the region) on the bolster, the knives resemble original models that were made to fold and fit in a pocket. Because the utensils are based on a 19th-century design, they resemble pieces from that period in size and are somewhat smaller than contemporary flatware. The flatware is crafted from polished stainless steel, and each piece has three visible rivets. A place setting includes an 8 1/2" dinner fork, 6 1/2" salad fork, 9" dinner knife, 8" soup spoon and 6" teaspoon. Dishwasher safe. $289.00
So, I thought I would google it to see if I could find it, elsewhere, and I found this:http://www.wineenthusiast.com/jean-dubost-laguiole-24-piece-flatware-set-%28ivory-pearlized-handles%29.asp?AfID=ZNXT

The Laguiole 24-piece flatware set, with Ivory pearlized handles, is French artistry and craftsmanship at its very best. The trademark "bee" appears on every piece of flatware assures you that this set is crafted in France according to a centuries-old tradition. But the sleek shape, impressive heft and gleaming stainless steel construction help to make it appropriate for contemporary tables, too. Marbelized ABS handles are reminiscent of precious ivory. 24-piece set includes a storage chest and 6 each: dinner fork, knife, soup spoon and French teaspoon. Dishwasher-safe.

This is crafted in 18/8 Stainless Steel. $179.95

The difference between the two sets, besides the price is that one offers a 4 place setting with a salad fork and the more inexpensive set offers a service for 6 without the salad fork.

What do you think? Can I live without a salad fork? I have nice stainless that I could use that has a salad fork....It is a 110.00 difference...
he likes it because his grandmother used to have something like it when he was a child.

Any help on which I should choose...that $110.00 savings looks good to me...but then there is the salad fork. Plus, there are 4 of us, and if and when they marry that would make 6...Decisions.....

Joyce

Terri_A
11-12-2008, 09:29 PM
It would depend on how often you use a salad fork. The weeone and I prefer a salad fork as an all purpose fork. The dinner fork just seems to big, but I know others who rarely if ever use their salad forks, so I think it boils down to what you use most often.

jmarie
11-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Terri, thank you...that's a thought...And thank God for internet reviews.

I found that there is a difference in the weight. No one at W-S complained about the flimsiness....in fact one liked the heft of the utensil. But several complained about it at the other website. Several sent them back because of the light weight. And, I think, like you, I would feel like the set was incomplete without a salad fork, whether we use them much, or not.

My husband only likes the Ivory, yet someone on the W-S stated that they might buy a set of the red to mingle with the others at Christmas....the red is so pretty, but he wouldn't have even given the set a second thought if it hadn't invoked a memory.

Does anyone have this staninless, I wonder?
What are your thoughts if you do. I would love to hear from you, as well!
J

shoezoo
11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
I have this set. I received it as a gift and I'm not sure where it was purchased. I like it a lot. I personally don't miss a salad fork but I do have another set that does have one. It is a very nice weight. I don't wash mine in the dw.I would definitely get the 6 piece place setting.