PDA

View Full Version : yogurt refrigeration question

Jessica
11-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I accidentally left a four-pack of small Dannon yogurts out all night. It says to keep refrigerated--would you just toss them?

Gumbeaux
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Toss them. It is especially risky to consume these since it is a dairy product that won't be cooked.

The small amount of money spent on the yogurt makes the decision even easier even though, personally, the cost of what I am thinking throwing away wouldn't factor in my decision.

jessicacoy
11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I, too, would recommend tossing them in the garbage (or rather, composting the yogurt and recycling the containers! ;)) I am a bit of a food safety freak though....

KimK
11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
I was just going to ask this same question about pumpkin puree. Should it be tossed after sitting out overnight? I had intended to use it in pumpkin leek soup today, but somehow left it on the counter all night. :mad:

As for dairy products, I would also toss, as the previous posters advised. I'm a bit more squeamish about dairy.

Aninha
11-16-2008, 12:43 PM
I was just going to ask this same question about pumpkin puree. Should it be tossed after sitting out overnight? I had intended to use it in pumpkin leek soup today, but somehow left it on the counter all night. :mad:

As for dairy products, I would also toss, as the previous posters advised. I'm a bit more squeamish about dairy.

I would definitely toss the yogurt.
Now, for the pumpkin puree if you are going to use in a soup I think I would use it (smell it, taste it, it should be fine), you are going to cook/boil it, so I don't see why you couldn't use it. Plus pumpkin puree (canned) is kept unrefrigerated to begin with so one night shouldn't be a problem.
Ana

wintkat
11-17-2008, 03:43 AM
since I first read this post I have hesitated to give my thoughts because of the potential safety issue here, although this has not caused any problem for me

I actually prefer room temperature yougurt and leave it out overnight or longer on purpose. In fact the yogurt that I didn't eat yesterday will come to work with me today. I have done this for years without a problem.

just my thoughts and certainly not a recommendation for anyone else

CompassRose
11-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Pumpkin puree I would probably toss. Yogourt, though, I wouldn't, if it's the kind with active cultures. Yogourt is made by culturing milk in a warm place; all that's going to happen if it stays out a bit longer is that it will get a bit more cultured and sour.

avariell
11-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Pumpkin puree I would probably toss. Yogourt, though, I wouldn't, if it's the kind with active cultures. Yogourt is made by culturing milk in a warm place; all that's going to happen if it stays out a bit longer is that it will get a bit more cultured and sour.

what she said. :cool:

aggie94
11-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Honestly, I would have kept both the yogurt and the pumpkin puree.

Aninha
11-17-2008, 03:12 PM
I really thought the pumpkin would be ok but wouldn't keep the yogurt... I didn't know we could keep yogurt out to have it room temperature the next day, and some days I really would have preferred my yogurt a little less cold.

See, this is why I love this BB, I am always learning around here!!:)
Ana

Gumbeaux
11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I didn't know we could keep yogurt out to have it room temperature the next day, and some days I really would have preferred my yogurt a little less cold.

The USDA says to toss dairy products, including yogurt and soft cheeses that have been left out in above forty degree temperature for more than two hours.

sneezles
11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
The USDA says to toss dairy products, including yogurt and soft cheeses that have been left out in above forty degree temperature for more than two hours.

Very odd because in the restaurant course SafeServ the window is 4 hours. You can make homemade creme fraiche by combining buttermilk and cream (heating to 85) an leaving, covered, and let stand for 8-24 hours.

I'd have kept both.

Aninha
11-17-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, and I wouldn't keep yogurt that is sitting out after a couple hours.
Ana

blazedog
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
That doesn't make sense regarding the yogurt since it is made through the interaction of bacteria with warm milk -- it's kept warm overnight as I recall (or the day time) equivalent -- it's been a while since I made some.

I live life on the edge I guess as I have eaten yogurt which I left out on the kitchen counter all day and then put back in the refrigerator -- this is plain yogurt with active bacteria cultures. I tend to be the same with cheese as well and use dairy products unless they look spoiled.

jadenegro
11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I often eat yogurt and granola for lunch at work - I bring them from home and do not refrigerate the yogurt, so I would guess it sits out anywhere from 5-6 hours, depending. I don't like cold yogurt. I'm not sure about overnight - if you had a short night I think it would be ok if used immediately based on my experience, but a longer night or if you wanted to store it for awhile I don't have a lot of confidence in it then.

ErinM
11-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Honestly, I would have kept both the yogurt and the pumpkin puree.

Same here, although I would have put it back in the fridge, just because I like cold yogurt. But, really, if it was sealed and the lid was still on...like Blaze said there's already bacteria in there anyway.

Anne
11-18-2008, 10:41 AM
I often strain yoghurt, pumpkin puree, and cooked berries (for jelly) by placing the mess in a linen 'jelly' cloth lined wire mess strainer which is placed over a glass bowl. I leave it out overnight and then jar and store the solids and liquids separately in the morning and put in the fridge until ready for use.