PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a waterproof iPod?

Gracie
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
DD is a swimmer and she has asked for a waterproof iPod to movitate her to swim more. I can always ask her for the website she knows, but I'd like to make her think I forgot about her request!

There seem to be a couple of websites out there - is there one I can count on?

Beth
12-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I went to the apple store and searched for waterproof ipod and got 3 hits. One was a waterproof case for a shuffle -- the smallest ipod, but plenty of music for a swim. Another was for a skin that goes on an ipod nano 3rd generation (not the newest slim one but the last one that was squarer in shape) to protect it and the third was a waterproof headset for the shuffle. I went back and looked at that -- it includes a casse and the headset for listening, so that seems to be the option you would need -- if the headset would stay on while swimming. I didn't see andy waterproof earplugs. It costs more than the shuffle. Look at store.apple,com or google apple store.

You could look at other options -- I don't know of any offhand. I'd start with Amazon or Best Buy or something and see what you come up with in a search for waterproof and MP3. Have fun.

Arete
12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
SwiMp3 is the one that I hear mentioned on the triathlon sites. But I have no experience with it.

blazedog
12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
As others have posted, there aren't any waterproof ipods although there are theoretical cases to waterproof an ipod -- but of course the buds would also have to be waterproof.

I wouldn't opt for a waterproof case for an ipod. I read an article awhile ago and as I recall they recommended self contained mp3 players that fit basically around the ear so one doesn't have wires leading from the player to the ear buds -- since it is going to be used for one purpose, it doesn't have to have an enormous capacity since one can do workout playlists.

Gracie
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
The website that looks the most authentic is Swimman (http://www.swimman.com/). They don't give you a case, they waterproof the iPod itself from the inside.

The also offer waterproof earbuds/headset. The whole thing is $250.

They will also waterproof your existing Shuffle for $100 although DD doesn't have a Shuffle. By the time you would buy your own Shuffle, have them waterproof it and buy the headset also for $100 it's cheaper to just buy the whole thing from them to start with. But had she had a Shuffle already I might have done that.

I would think this would have been more of a popular thing - that more people would have this. We have to have some swimmers among us! :)

katygirl
12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Here is an older thread on this subject, there might be something better/newer out there now....

https://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=107082&highlight=ipod

Also slknight (susan) might be someone to touch base with because I know she is a serious swimmer.

Good Luck!

lisas3575
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Loren, I just sent you a PM. :)