PDA

View Full Version : Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri

Denise
12-14-2008, 09:46 PM
First off, I love a cookbook with nice photographs. These go way beyond nice with a large format, pictures of almost every recipe, and a lot of pictures showing helpful techniques. The recipes are apealing and well-written making them easy to understand and they produce good results!
One of my favorites so far is Fennel, Fig and Almond Bread. Its as easy to make as any standard quick bread but with updated and modern flavors. This was truly delcious and the fennel really makes it unique. I brought it to a work potluck and it was a big hit. Another favorite is the Caramel Crumb Bars. They are light and buttery with an oozing caramel center. The recipe makes a big 9 x 13 pan, so these are perfect for a bake sale or party.
There are so many more recipes I plan to try from this cookbook! Starting with Cocoa Banana Muffins, Rosemary, Olive Knots, and Marbled Chocolate Brioche, and moving on to One-Step Croissants, Lemon Ginger Pound Cake and Spicy Hazelnut Biscotti!
I'm going to have to put some of his other books on my wishlist!

avariell
12-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Evil temptress!! ;) Would you mind posting the Lemon Ginger Poundcake recipe??

helene
12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I have this cookbook as well. It's a beautiful book, it's a great reference.

Never made anything from it yet. Thanks for the reviews.

Donnaluv2cruise
12-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I purchased this for my Mom for Christmas, along with tickets to a cooking class in April. Sounds like he'll be making a great menu that day, including Gruyere and Scallion Tart, Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Tart, Chocolate Mascarpone Tart, Sour Cream Apple Pie, Raspberry Almond Tartlets.

Yum! :D

veschke
12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
One of my favorites so far is Fennel, Fig and Almond Bread.

That does sound good. Pretty please?! :D

Denise
12-17-2008, 08:57 PM
You guys are killing me :p I'm a seriously terrible typist! I should have known I'd have to fill some recipe requests! I won't attempt it tonight, but if no one has come to my rescue by Friday afternoon I will knuckle down and do my best! The recipes are good enough to be worth it:D . Is there a way I can scan them instead of typing?

Alleycat
12-31-2008, 04:30 PM
I (very impulsively) picked this book up at BJ's on Monday. I love the idea of easier baking, with quality results. I pondered returning it (trying to pare down my cookbooks), but this one has a great variety of recipes -- and I'm psyched to try the one-step puff pastry!

Donna, what a great Christmas present! I didn't see the Chocolate Mascarpone Tart in the book, but saw a Chocolate Cheese Tart made with cream cheese. Wonder if it's the same one.

Since no one else typed up the two requested recipes, I'll share them with you :)

Lemon Ginger Pound Cake
from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri

Makes one 10-inch tube cake, about 24 slices

2-2/3 cups all purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measuring cup and level off)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
16 TBSP (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup milk
1 TBSP finely grated lemon zest
2 TBSP strained lemon juice
3 TBSP finely grated ginger

1 (12-cup) tube or Bundt pan, buttered, coated with fine dry bread crumbs, and sprayed with vegetable oil spray

Directions:

Set a rack in lowere third of oven and preheat to 325.

In bowl of electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir well by hand to mix. Add butter. Beat mixture on low speed with paddle attachment until mixture is a smooth, heavy paste, 1 to 2 minutes.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and ginger. On medium speed, beat about 1/3 of egg mixture into flour and butter mixture. Beat 1 minute.

Stop and scrape bowl and beater. Add half of remaining egg mixture and beat for 2 minutes. Repeat with other half.

Remove bowl from mixter and use large rubber spatula to give batter a final mixing. Scrape the batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake cake until it is well risen and firm and a toothpick or a small thin knife inserted midway between the sides of the pan and the central tube emerges dry, about 1 hour.

Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes, then invert a rack over it. Invert and lift off the pan. Cook the cake completely on the rack.

Serving: This doesn't need any accompaniement, but some whipped cream or sliced fruit would dress it up.

Storage: Wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap and keep it at room temperature. Freeze for longer storage. Defrost cake and bring it to room temperature before serving.

-------------------------------------------

Fennel Fig & Almond Bread
from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri

"This delicious bread was inspired by a fragrant golden raisin, fennel, and cornmeal bread created by my friend Amy Scherber, owner of Amy's Bread in New York City."

Makes one 9x5x3 loaf, 12 to 16 slices

2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned into measuring cup and leveled off)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
6 TBSP (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1-1/2 cups (8 to 9 oz) stemmed and diced white or black dried figs
1 cup (about 4 oz) slivered almonds, lightly toasted

One 9x5x3 loaf pan, buttered and the bottom lined with a rectangle of parchment or buttered wax paper cut to fit

Directions:

Set a rack in middle level of oven and preheat to 350.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and fennel seeds in a medium bowl and stir well to mix.

In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, then beat in the sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Beat 1/2 the flour mixture into the butter and egg mixture, then gently beat in the milk about 1/3 at a time. Beat in the remaining flour mixture. Use a large rubber spatula to fold in the figs and almonds.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake the bread until it is well risen and a toothpick or narrow bladed knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.

Cool the bread in the pan on rack for 5 minutes, then unmold it and cool it completely on rack. Transfer bread to a platter or cutting board before serving.

Serving: Cut the bread into thin slices and serve with butter or cream cheese.

Storage: Keep the bread under a cake dome or loosely wrapped in plastic wrap on the day it is made. Wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and keep at room temp for up to 3 to 4 days. Freeze for longer storage.