PDA

View Full Version : what to serve with brisket for 20

trisha
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
We are having a backyard party for about 20 people. The only thing I know that I am having so far is brisket(or is it brisquet?) Maybe brisket can mean different things but we have a friend who smokes beef and shaves it thinly and tops with his homemade bbq sauce. I want the food to be as nice as a possible and want to make as much ahead as possible. Would love ideas for appet, sides , dessert ....the whole shbang.

Many thanks

Trisha

mkc
01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Brisket in Texas is how we do barbecue - low and slow with smoke. The usual sides are ranch beans, coleslaw, potato salad, cut sections of corn on the cob, that sort of thing. Slices of white sandwich bread, onions, dill pickles too. Dessert is something like peach cobbler or banana pudding (the 'Nilla wafer, sliced bananas, vanilla pudding, whipped cream dish).

For appetizers, maybe ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds)? Hollow out jalapenos (wear gloves!) and fill with cream cheese and maybe a Little Smokey sausage or a cooked shrimp, wrap in bacon, sprinkle with barbecue rub, and grill indirect for about 1/2 hour until the bacon is cooked (they make jalapeno holders for just such things).

Or chips and salsa.

Michelle (save me some burnt ends!)

trisha
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Michelle,

Those ideas all sound yummy but although I am serving smoked brisket I am looking for ways to make the dinner a little less casual.

Can anyone else chime in?

Thanks
Trisha

zwieback
01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
How about roasted potatoes? Take small red potatoes, cut in half, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper and whatever else herb/spices you'd like. Bake in a 400 degree oven until tender and browned.

You could also do a simple spinach salad -- baby spinach, sliced red onion, walnuts, craisins (or mandarin oranges, or whatever fruit you'd like), goat cheese, dress with salt, pepper, olive oil & balsamic vinegar.

Asparagus -- you could fix that any way you like

sneezles
01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Twice baked and roasted asparagus with a good loaf of crunchy bread (I live in Texas and I despise the white bread thing at bbq's). The twice baked can be readied the day before and the asparagus prepped early. Once roasted I drizzle with balsamic and add fresh grated Parmesan and then broil a couple of minutes.

testkitchen45
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Brisket by nature is pretty casual, but a few suggestions come to mind. Gulliver's Corn from Hammster (Mike) on the BB is a great make-ahead for a crowd. Chunky Spiced Applesauce with Cranberries (CL) is wonderful; another make-ahead. So far, with those, you'd have dark brown brisket, yellow corn, & pale red applesauce w/ cranberries. Now you need green . . . I don't have as many make-aheads, in green, for a large crowd, but I'll give it some thought. Or maybe orange--CL's Carrot Souffle is terrific, and I think I've posted it with my make-ahead hints for the BB (it's actually quite easy to make).

Will people be seated or standing to eat? CL's 12/08 Hot Chocolate Fudge Cakes for dessert are make-ahead & wonderful, rather impressive-looking but very easy, and only suited to sit-down eating.

For an app, I love Ina Garten's Guacamole (Food Network) more than any other guac I've ever had (and that's saying something!).

mkc
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Michelle,

Those ideas all sound yummy but although I am serving smoked brisket I am looking for ways to make the dinner a little less casual.

Use the good butcher paper to serve the meat on?

:D Kidding!!! :D

It's just that brisket is really so wonderful in it's natural surroundings :)

Maybe something that interprets traditional barbecue sides into a more formal affair. The Gulliver's Corn or maybe BC's Sagaponack Corn Pudding, Crash Hot Potatoes, and roasted green beans or asparagus bundles wrapped in prosciutto.

Brie kisses as an appetizer/nibble to pass (which gives you the jalapeno via the jelly).

Waldorf Coleslaw

Take the banana pudding or peach cobbler and make parfaits? Or do the banana pudding as a Napolean-like layered version of puff pastry rounds, creme anglaise, sliced bananas, and drizzles of dark chocolate over the top?

Michelle

Seronsong
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Lived in Ft. Worth many years ago. Mmm.. miss real slow smoked brisket. I've always had brisket served with cornbread, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, potato salad/coleslaw and corn on the cob. I still crave it!!

foodie18
01-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Random thoughts...

Roasted cauliflower
Squash souffle (prep in blender, cook day before, nuke for 5 min to heat)
Corn casserole
Spaetzle (I can supply recipe if you want. Easy to make and great with gravy/bbq sauce. Also a nice treat for company. You can make day before and reheat.)
Egg noodles
Beet Carpaccio salad - doubles as salad and a veggie (BA recipe - YUM! And it's "beets", not "beef") :)
Green Salad https://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=124609

I am not great at apps but a few I have done lately with success that require little effort and make a nice presentation include:

Brie with chutney (I like farmhouse chutney from Stonewall Kitchen)
Parmesean stuffed dates (can also roll in bacon)
Roasted asparagus rolled in prosciutto
Grilled shrimp w/ honey dijon dipping sauce
Stuffed mushrooms
Fresh figs wrapped in prosciutto (have not tried - saw on BC and it looked good.)
Smoked salmon, capers
Bruschetta