PDA

View Full Version : REC: Ellie Krieger Jambalaya (and question!)

Sheila in MD
01-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi All-

I saw this recipe and thought it looked really good and it got great reviews on the FN site....here is my question-if I would like to sub brown rice how would I do that? A couple of reviewers said they did and cooked it longer but I seem to remember reading somewhere (where-I have NO CLUE though :D ) that if you want to sub brown rice in a dish like this there is a way to par cook it...anyone else either read this or know how to do it? Thanks!

Sheila in MD

Jambalaya with Shrimp and Ham

Prep Time:20 min
Cook Time: 35 min

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 ounces diced, smoked ham
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
Hot pepper sauce

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over a medium heat. Add the onion, peppers and garlic and saute until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Mix in the next 11 ingredients, salt through the diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is done and most of the liquid is absorbed. Add the shrimp and cook, covered, for 5 minutes more, or until shrimp is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with hot pepper sauce.

Serves: 4 servings (serving size is 2 cups)

Robyn1007
01-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Personally I'd just cook the same way, maybe add a little extra liquid and cook a bit longer.

sneezles
01-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Having subbed brown rice in dishes such as this I'd par-boil. I just don't care for the results when adding extra liquid and continuing to cook the other ingredients longer than necessary.

Sheila in MD
01-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Having subbed brown rice in dishes such as this I'd par-boil. I just don't care for the results when adding extra liquid and continuing to cook the other ingredients longer than necessary.

This is what I would prefer to do as well but am not sure how to par-boil? I usually do my brown rice by the Saveur Perfect Brown Rice method (posted below) and have no idea at what point it would be par-boiled enough...wow-this is really a simple question but so hard to phrase right! Thanks!

Sheila in MD

1 cup short, medium, or long-grain brown rice
Kosher salt, to taste

1. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.

2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.

The article regarding the rice can be found at:
http://www.saveur.com/article/food/Perfect-Brown-Rice

sneezles
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
With that recipe I'd do it for 15 of the 30 minutes, drain and then let it steam for the 10 minutes then add it to the jambalaya and proceed. The rice won't take 20 minutes and you can add your shrimp early. JMHO.

Holly in KC
01-09-2009, 07:15 PM
With that recipe I'd do it for 15 of the 30 minutes, drain and then let it steam for the 10 minutes then add it to the jambalaya and proceed. The rice won't take 20 minutes and you can add your shrimp early. JMHO.

I agree. I made this recipe last month with white rice... for whatever reason the rice took a lot longer to cook, and I needed to add more liquid. Flavor was ok, but not something I'd repeat.

francophila
01-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I usually do my brown rice by the Saveur Perfect Brown Rice method (posted below) and have no idea at what point it would be par-boiled enough...wow-this is really a simple question but so hard to phrase right! Thanks!

Sheila in MD

1 cup short, medium, or long-grain brown rice
Kosher salt, to taste

1. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.

2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.

The article regarding the rice can be found at:
http://www.saveur.com/article/food/Perfect-Brown-Rice

wow. WOW. for several years i've been doing mine in the oven, following Alton Brown and CI's directions. this method was a revelation.

i used a combo of a Lundberg mix and their regular brown rice. plain, no sauce; it was a side dish. i sat there and just kept saying, "Wow. this is delicious!"

thanks for posting the recipe Sheila.