PDA

View Full Version : Dried beans - do they go bad or stale?

misskitty100
01-21-2009, 09:26 AM
I have a huge bag of pinto beans in my pantry and they have probably been around for 2 years (at the most). Do dried beans go bad? Should I toss them and buy a new bag?

DH has requested his favorite bean recipe for his birthday so I'm putting together my shopping list.

bobmark226
01-21-2009, 09:29 AM
For a buck and change, I certainly wouldn't risk using them, especially for a special occasion.

Bob

sunnyshine
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
For a buck and change, I certainly wouldn't risk using them, especially for a special occasion.

Bob

Agreed. I think they go stale and sometimes don't get tender.

Robyn1007
01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes, when they're old they either will never soften or take a really long time so I would risk it. I'd hate to have them cooking for hours and just to have them not work.

misskitty100
01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
They just got dumped in the yard waste can!

Thanks everyone!

Kate B
01-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Ruh-roh.... looks like I'll have to toss mine, too. Bummer -- I was going to try the pressure cooker tonight and won't have an opportunity to shop prior.

Kate

Anne
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
A little late on this response but I've found if you can sprout them (like you would sprout mung beans or alfalfa seeds) they are fine for cooking. Of course, this is not an 'I need to cook them tonight' solution. Bean longevity depends a lot on how they were stored.

EllenL
01-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm impressed that your husband requested beans for his b'day---my DH is much higher maintenance! What is the bean recipe that he likes so much?

misskitty100
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm impressed that your husband requested beans for his b'day---my DH is much higher maintenance! What is the bean recipe that he likes so much?

The recipe is from Vencil Mares and it is really good! We always serve it with smoked brisket, ribs or anything else DH decides to smoke!

Vencil's Slow Beans

2 cups dried pinto beans
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 T chili powder
1 t ground black pepper
1 cup finely chopped bacon
1 t salt, or more to taste

Sort the beans to remove any stones or grit. Rinse the beans and then place in a crockpot with 6 cups of water. Add th onion, chili powder, pepper, bacon and salt.

Cook on high for 2 hours. Stir. turn to low and simmer for 8 hours or overnight. Add more water as needed.

Makes about 6 cups.

testkitchen45
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Don't you get "side effects" from beans that are cooked w/o being soaked first? :confused: ;)

< maybe that's why your DH wanted them?? :D >