PDA

View Full Version : How long do you keep frozen bananas before tossing?

applecrisp
01-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Let me premise this that I should get a shirt that says "when in doubt throw it out". With that said, I always have a good idea how long things have been in my freezer (certainly made easier by having an apartment size fridge, so no room for 3 dozen of this, 4 bags of that, 2 turkeys). Nothing can get lost in the back.

The only thing I ignore is when I toss a banana in the freezer. So do those go bad -- how long would you keep them? I only have two and certainly super inexpensive, but just wondering in general.

Thanks.

lantana
01-25-2009, 06:13 AM
I freeze bananas peeled and broken into chunks for smoothies. I don't put a date on the bag (oh well) but I toss them if they get too much "freezer ice" on them or if they turn very dark brown over time.

HRJ
01-25-2009, 12:52 PM
I have bananas in my freezer that probably go back to the first Bush administration -- if not earlier. :D I'd say as long as they don't have too much freezer-burn, they're OK. (Even then, I'd probably throw them into banana bread or something anyway.)

Helene

suebear37
01-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I found a half banana buried in my freezer this morning. My guess is that it had been there several months. I threw it into my breakfast smoothie. I'm still alive! ;)

Go ahead & use 'em!

JuliN
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I freeze whole bananas (in the skin) to save for banana bread.

I have one recipe that makes 2 loaves and calls for 6 bananas! It takes me a while to have that many. The last time I made the recipe, I think some of those bananas had been in the freezer 10-12 months. The bread still tasted great and I got compliments!

I noticed that there was a lot of water when they thawed (which I discarded) but this didn't effect the taste. I remember that I thinned the batter with just a little milk because it seemed a little thick.

Juli

HealthyinMN
01-26-2009, 07:37 PM
I noticed that there was a lot of water when they thawed (which I discarded) but this didn't effect the taste. I remember that I thinned the batter with just a little milk because it seemed a little thick.

Noooo.... don't do that! You are pouring all the good stuff right down the drain! Just mix that back into the banana as you mash it next time.

Jewel
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
So is it better to freeze a banana with skin or without, or does it matter? And when to freeze...when I first notice them starting to turn? :confused:

Hubby is the only one that eats bananas and he often forgets about them, so suddenly I notice this black thing near the bottom of the fruit bowl. I'd love to toss them in the freezer to use in baking or smoothies, but wonder should I peel and chunk first or just open the freezer door and wing it? :D

Alleycat
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I just tossed a big bag of them that my mother-in-law gave me. My freezer was starting to stink; I'm guessing the bag had a hole in it.

I freeze mine in the peel. When I take them out, I let them sit on the counter for a bit. Then I rip open the peel and squeeze the banana into the bowl. Let them thaw and then mash with a potato masher.