PDA

View Full Version : ISO -- Beef Stir Fry Recipe

blazedog
02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
I have a few but nothing that I have been super happy with.

Does anyone have a good one as I have some sirloin that I would love to use in a stir fry rather than as a slab of broiled steak.

Thanks.

greysangel
02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Spicy Orange Beef and Vegetables

3/4 pound beef top round -- fat trimmed, cut in thin strips
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons orange rind
1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce -- or 1/4 tsp. red pepper
4 teaspoons canola oil
1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- peeled, minced
1/4 pound green beans -- halved lengthwise
1 red bell pepper -- seeded and cut in thin strips
1 carrot -- cut into matchstick strips

1. Combine the beef, 1 T. of the cornstarch and the orange rind in a medium bowl; toss well to coat and set aside. Combine the remaining 1 T. cornstarch, the broth, orange juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and chili-garlic sauce or crushed red pepper in a small bowl; set aside.

2. Heat a nonstick wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in 2 tsp of the oil, then add the beef. Stir fry until cooked through, 2 - 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Swirl the remaining 2 tsp. oil, then add the ginger. Stir fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the green beans, bell pepper, and carrot. Stir fry until crisp-tender, about 2 - 3 minutes. add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils, about 1minute. Add the beef and cook until hot, about 1 minute.

Note: While this dish is strictly Asian in design, it also works wonderfully as an East-meets-West fajita. For an Asian meal, serve with rice and garnish with fresh orange segments. For a Western meal, serve in warmed flour tortillas. Note 2: We like the beans& carrots precooked before stir-frying.

Yield: 6 servings 1 cup per serving 5 points per serving

Source:
"Weight Watchers Take Out Tonight"

amyvn
02-05-2009, 12:14 PM
This is our favorite, and tastes so much like the food we had in Thailand that my husband and I comment on it every time.

Amy

Drunken Stir-Fried Beef with Green Beans

Most Thai dishes are named after the main ingredients or cooking techniques. But occasionally, a dish has a playful or poetic name, such as this one. Serve over jasmine rice.

Drunken Paste:
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
7 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/4 teaspoons minced bird chile or 2 1/2 teaspoons minced serrano chile
2 teaspoons coarsely chopped galangal or peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced, or 1 teaspoon grated lime rind

Stir-fry:
Cooking spray
1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch strips
2 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut green beans
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 cup Thai basil leaves

To prepare the paste, combine the salt and minced garlic in a mortar and pestle, and pound to form a paste. Add chile, galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves, one at a time, until each ingredient is incorporated into paste.

To prepare stir-fry, heat a wok or large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add paste, and stir-fry for 30 seconds (fumes may cause eyes and throat to burn slightly). Add beef; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add beans; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, sugar, fish sauce, and vinegar; stir-fry for 1 minute or until beef reaches desired degree of doneness. Stir in basil.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

CALORIES 202 (41% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 3.7g,mono 3.5g,poly 0.5g); IRON 2.7mg; CHOLESTEROL 45mg; CALCIUM 50mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10g; SODIUM 1100mg; PROTEIN 20.2g; FIBER 1.4g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2001