PDA

View Full Version : 52 Meat Loaves - Wanna Play??

golden1225
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I've had this cookbook (authored by Michael McLaughlin) on my shelf for a number of years, and I finally decided it was time to go through it. DH and I both LOVE meatloaf, but I admit I have not wanted to stray from my all-time fave recipe. I've decided to embark upon this adventure and make one new meatloaf each week.
If anyone wants to join me, I'll post each week's recipe on Sunday.
I've got week #1's loaf well underway; it will be supper for tomorrow night. :):)

Here's the recipe for this one, if you'd like to play along. Not too interesting in my opinion, but it might suprise me!

Classic Interstate Meat Loaf

3 T. unsalted butter
2 c. finely chopped onion
1 med. green pepper, finely chopped
1 lg. celery rib, finely chopped
1 t. dried thyme
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 c. rolled oats
2/3 c. ketchup
2 eggs, beaten
2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
4 slices bacon, halved crosswise

In a med. skillet, melt the butter over med. heat. When it foams, add the onion, green pepper, celery and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.

Position a rack in the middlove of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, onion mixture, oats, 1/3 c. ketchup, eggs, salt and pepper; mix thoroughly. Spoon the meat mixture into a large, shallow baking dish and shape into a flat loaf about 2 inches high. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Spread the remaining ketchup over the loaf. Arrange the bacon strips, overlapping them slightly, if necessary, on top of the ketchup.

Baket the meat loaf for about 1 1/4 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 145 degrees. Let the meat loaf rest on a rack for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot.

:):)

luv2cook
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I can't get away from my classic meatloaf either. My gf and my dh both beg and the maid even! She bugged me for 3 weeks for meatloaf

sneezles
02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I've tried straying from my standard (where things don't show) but get moans and groans from the minons so I can't play...

golden1225
02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Well, I can promise you that the succeeding recipes are much more interesting. In fact, not what you'd think about when you think of "meatloaf." They are definitely loaves, and use meat, but that's it. For example, here are some upcoming recipes:
Apple Scrapple
Millie's Pork and Ham Loaf with Sweet Mustard Glaze
Pineapple Luau Loaf
Picadillo Loaf in a Cornmeal Crust
Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Meatloaf

I honestly would not have picked out today's recipe to make had it not been I've decided to make EVERY recipe in the book!

PattiA
02-08-2009, 05:31 PM
We love meatloaf and we are game for new meatloaves. I'll play, but maybe not every week. I'll probably be a week behind most of the time because I try to do my menu planning and shopping on Friday.

francophila
02-08-2009, 05:45 PM
while my first reaction was to say that there are only two meatloaves -- my mom's and mine -- i'm game to follow your thread. nothing can replace the one i grew up with, but i'm willing to keep an open mind where my own is concerned, esp. since it evolved over time.

it's no accident that meat loaf is in the top of the comfort foods list.

golden1225
02-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Ok, well - the first one was not so great. It was certainly edible, and DH, who loves every kind of meatloaf out there, gobbled up a slice even though he'd already had supper. So I've made #1. I'm hopeful the rest will be much better! Stay tuned for week #2 - "Apple Scrapple"!! :D

PattiA
02-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Lynne, what were the issues with it? Was it just lacking in interesting seasonings?

LakeMartinGal
02-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Looking forward to the apple scrapple!:D

golden1225
02-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Patti - yes, I'd say it was just overall an uninteresting meatloaf. I think most of us have that one (or maybe two) fabulous recipe for meatloaf and are hesitant to even try another one. I'm certainly in that group! So...no surprise to me on this one, but it was just part of the process. DH will happily eat it and not complain one time - but I will wait for the next one!
For those interested in this project - do you think I should post the next recipe here in this thread, or start a new thread for week #2?
DH just suggested that we have a post dedicated to all of our favorite meatloaf recipes...those that we just can't imagine having any competition. We can try each other's recipes and see what we think. Sounds fun to me! ;)

sfarler
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
For those interested in this project - do you think I should post the next recipe here in this thread, or start a new thread for week #2?
DH just suggested that we have a post dedicated to all of our favorite meatloaf recipes...those that we just can't imagine having any competition. We can try each other's recipes and see what we think. Sounds fun to me! ;)

I'd like to see all your posts here. If you post them separately, I could miss a good one because I don't always have the time to check all posts everyday. Some of the recipes you listed sound very interesting.

JMHO

PattiA
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm also in favor of a single topic to chronicle the entire process.

LakeMartinGal
02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm also in favor of a single topic to chronicle the entire process.
Me, three!:D

golden1225
02-17-2009, 04:45 AM
Ok - here we go! Last week's was a disappointment - no big surprise and hopefully not an indication of the quality of the rest of the recipes!

Apple Scrapple

1 1/2 lbs. mildely seasoned bulk pork sausage meat, preferably coarse-ground
1 stick (8 T.) unslated butter
1 c. finely chopped yellow onion
1 large red apple, cored and cut into 1/4" dice
1 1/2 T. minced fresh thyme or 1 t. dried thyme
1 1/2 T. minced fresh sage or 1 t. dried ground
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
6 c. water
1 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
2 t. salt
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
maple syrup or honey, warmed

Crumble the sausage into a large skillet and set it over medium heat. Cook, stirring and breaking up any large lumps, until the meat is cooked through and lightly browned, 15-20 minutes. Witha slotted spoon, transfer the suasage to absorbent paper to drain. Discard the fat but do not clean the skillet.

Set the skillet over low heat. Add 2 T. butter and when foaming, stir in the onion. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice and scraping the pan, for 5 minutes. Stir in the apple, thyme and sage and cook uncovered, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes. The apple should retain its shape and most of its texture. Return the sausage to the skillet, season with the pepper and mix thoroughly. Set aside.

Lightly oil two 9"x5" loaf pans. In a heavy 4 1/2 to 5-quart pot, slowly whisk the water into the cornmeal. Whisk in the salt. Set the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring once or twice. Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until the cornmeal is very thick, about 40 minutes.

Stir the sausage mixture into the hot cornmeal, combining well. Divide the mixture while still hot between the prepared pans, smoothing the top. Cool to room temperature, wrap well and refrigerate until firm. The scrapple can be preapred up to 3 days ahead.

Run a sharp knife between the scrapple and the sides of the loaf pans. Invert each pan onto a cutting board; the scrapple will drop out. Cut each loaf into 8 thick slices.

In a large skillet, melt the remaining 6 T. butter over medium heat. On a plate, dredge the scrapple slices in flour, tapping off the excess. Working in bathces, fry the scrapple, turning it once, until well browned and crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Serve hot and pass a pitcher of warm maple syrup at the table.

:)

avariell
02-17-2009, 07:40 AM
I can't wait to see a review or two of that Apple Scrapple meatloaf. I recently discovered that I love baked polenta (scrapple? :)) so I might have to try this one if you guys like it.

francophila
02-17-2009, 07:57 AM
thanks for doing this. Apple Scrapple doesn't sound like any recipe i've ever seen, so this should be interesting. with 52 to try, there have got to be some real winners over the course of the year. my repertoire could expand to include a third. :)

golden1225
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Francophila, my thoughts exactly! I'm sure we'll get a few winners out of the 52!
I'm actually chopping the fresh thyme and fresh sage now for the recipe! :):)

golden1225
02-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Wow - how yummy!!! I sliced off a piece this morning and fried it up as directed - deeeeeelicious!!! I served it with some maple syrup (grade B) and had to help myself from going back and fixing more.
Do try this one!!

Tamarap
02-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm in, DH loves meatloaf!

golden1225
02-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm looking forward to this one after the great success with last week's recipe. I will be putting it together here in a few minutes. Can't wait!!

Firecracker BBQ Chicken Loaf
Serves 8-10

4 T. unsalted butter
2 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
1 t. dried thyme leaves, crumbled
1 c. thick and smoky, tomato-based BBQ sauce
1 T. hot pepper sauce
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. unsulphured molasses
3 eggs, beaten
2 t. salt
3 lbs. ground chicken
1 c. cornflake crumbs

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and thyme, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until soft and lightly colored, 8-10 minutes. REmove from the heat and cool to room temperature.

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the BBQ sauce, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and molasses. Remove 1/3 c. of the mixture and whisk it into the beaten eggs. Whisk in the salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the ground chicken, corn flake crumbs and the egg mixture. Transfer the meat mixture to a shallow baking dish and formt it into a flat loaf about 2 1/2 inches high, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Spread the top of the loaf evenly with the remaining BBQ sauce mixture.

Bake the meat loaf for 1 1/4 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160 degrees. Let the meat loaf rest on a rack for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot.

Good luck!!

dneilson
02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Great thread! I love this idea.

Lynne, I'd be interested in seeing your all-time favorite recipe (to see what the others are up against).

This is on the menu tomorrow evening - I'll post a review then (if time permits). Started prepping it today.

Will be served with Giada's Beet Arugula Salad and a saucy, garlicky skillet mac'n cheese.

Meatloaf
Gourmet | February 2008
Ian Knauer

This is the perfect antidote to the Sunday blues, not least because there will be enough left over to pack sandwiches for Monday's lunch. A mix of beef, pork, and bacon ensures meatiness, with Worcestershire sauce, chopped prunes, and cider vinegar added for good balance and occasional suggestions of sweetness. Because the loaf is baked without a loaf pan, there's plenty of well-browned crust to go around.

Yield: Makes 6 servings with leftovers
Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1-1/2 hr

1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs (from 2 slices firm white sandwich bread)(I'm using 1 cup of my homemade spelt bread)
1/3 cup whole milk (Using buttermilk, all I have is vanilla soy milk at the moment)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium celery rib, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 pound bacon (about 4 slices), chopped
1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
1-1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
1/2 pound ground pork (not lean)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Garnish: cooked bacon

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.

Soak bread crumbs in milk in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, cook onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low, then cook until carrot is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, allspice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Add to bread-crumb mixture.

Finely chop bacon and prunes in a food processor, then add to onion mixture along with beef, pork, eggs, and parsley and mix together with your hands.

Pack mixture into a 9- by 5-inch oval loaf in a 13- by 9-inch shallow baking dish or pan.

Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meatloaf registers 155°F, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Cooks' note: Cooked meatloaf keeps, chilled, 3 days.
Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc.

Dolores

golden1225
02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Dolores, that meatloaf recipe (Ian Knauer's) is FANTASTIC!! I actually made the whole menu and reviewed on the BB a while back. Every single bit was good. I even stated that I thought I had the best meatloaf recipe in the world so I hated to try another, but this one sure gave mine a run for its money! I've made it several times. I was delighted when none other than Mr. Ian Knauer himself PM'd me to thank me for the review! Apparently he reads the CLBB, too! I hope you like it as much as we did. :)
I'll post my fave recipe later this evening...need to go and clean up the wet dog towels on the driveway...just washed all 4 and came in for a second to get them all situated before going back out to clean up. ;)

golden1225
02-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Well, another disappointment, I'm afraid. :( It didn't taste bad, just blaaaaah. I think it should have had more BBQ sauce in the meat mixture, although that might have made it too wet. DH and I were hungry so we ate it, and he took a sandwich with him today made out of it. Not a repeater.
It makes an enormous loaf, too - lots of sandwiches out of this one!

francophila
02-23-2009, 06:40 AM
bummer. but at least, when you go the sandwich route, there are lots of ways to trick it up to add flavor and interest.

golden1225
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I got behind this week so didn't get this posted and made yet! Hopefully I can stop at the store on the way home and pick up the ingredients.

Millie's Pork and Ham Loaf with Sweet Mustard Glaze
Serves 6 to 8

1 lb. firm and smoky baked ham, trimmed of any fat and tough rind and cut into chunks
1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
1 c. finely crushed saltines (about 2 1/2 oz)
1 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
Sweet Mustard Glaze

Position the rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, finely chop the ham. In a large bowl, stir together the ham and pork. Add the cracker crumbs, milk, eggs and pepper and mix thoroughly. Transfer the meat mixgture to a shallow baking dish and form it into a flat loaf about 2 1/2" thick. With the back of a knife, press a diamond crosshatch pattern about 1/2" deep in to the upper surface fo the loaf.

Bake the loaf for 30 minutes. Spread one-third of the mustard glaze over the loaf and bake for 15 minutes. Spread half of the remaining glaze over the loaf and bake for 15 minutes. Spread the last of the glaze over the loaf and bake another `15-20 minutes, or until the loaf is glazed and brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center reads 165 degrees.

Cool for 5 minutes and transfer the loaf to a serving platter. Let rest another 5 minutes before cutting. Serve hot.

Sweet Mustard Glaze
Makes 1 cup

1 c. packed light brown sugar
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. Dijon mustard

In a small, nonreactive saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, vinegar, water and mustard. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring once or twice, for 20 minutes. The glaze can be prepared several days ahead. Store it, covered, at room temperature.

Johnny C
03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Well, another disappointment, I'm afraid. :( It didn't taste bad, just blaaaaah. I think it should have had more BBQ sauce in the meat mixture, although that might have made it too wet. DH and I were hungry so we ate it, and he took a sandwich with him today made out of it. Not a repeater.
It makes an enormous loaf, too - lots of sandwiches out of this one!

I'm not surprised, I've made chicken meatloaves in the past and they don't have much flavour. Neither does turkey. I tend to make a buffalo-style topping with Hot Sauce to give it flavour and a kick.

I have also made one with coconut and thai herbs (kaffir lime leaves, lots of hot red chilli, lemon grass) and that wasn't bad

golden1225
03-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok - week #4's recipe has been proclaimed a hit by DH. :p I baked it on a silpat-lined baking sheet, so the glaze that ran off caramelized into what we have been calling "ham candy." It's so delicious and chewy! I think this will make some great leftovers tomorrow night!

francophila
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
>> 1 lb. firm and smoky baked ham

how did you handle this part? in countless years of cooking i don't believe i've ever seen this phrase.

golden1225
03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I bought a bone-in ham steak (slice) that was slightly over a pound. I trimmed it up, cut in chunks and put in the food processor!
:)

golden1225
03-07-2009, 07:00 AM
I have to admit I'm skipping recipe #5 in the book. It's Hazel's Pressed Chicken Loaf and I just can't bring myself to make it, after the last chicken loaf I tried. This one sounds even less interesting, and the description written by the author doesn't help it out any. I'm puzzled as to why he would have ever written that....he came right out said it's rather blah! :confused:

Anyway, as DH will be out of town for St. Patty's Day, I thought I'd move next week's recipe up to this week to take the place of the chicken loaf!

New England Corned Beef Loaf
Serves 6 to 8

3/4 lb. trimmed, cooked corned beef
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 c. fine, dry bread crumbs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. maple syrup
3 T. Dijon mustard

Cut the corned beef into small chunks and, in a food processor, using short bursts of power, finely chop the meat.

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the corned beef, ground beef, bread crumbs, milk onion, eggs salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Transfer the meat mixture to a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan, mounding it slightly.

Bake the meat loaf for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together the maple syrup and mustard. Spread half the mixture over the top of the loaf and bake 20 minutes. Spread the remaining mixture over and bake 20 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers 145 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot.

bobmark226
03-07-2009, 07:11 AM
New England Corned Beef Loaf
Serves 6 to 8

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. salt
1/4 c. maple syrup
3 T. Dijon mustard

Lynne, this one is very reminiscent of a Liverwurst Meatloaf I used to make and liked, though the liverwurst was just mooshed in rather than chopped. I think you'll get a meatloaf that just tastes like corned beef, much as I got a meatloaf that tasted like, well, liverwurst. You might like it, but you also might find yourself thinking "what's the point?"

Bob

golden1225
03-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I think I agree with you, Bob. I felt that way about the chicken one. However...it's now just my goal to make every recipe in the book, so I'll just make them (except for the pressed chicken!) anyway. ;)

cookieee
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi Lynne, what happened?

Working on my ground chicken recipes and came across your Firecracker BBQ Chicken Loaf. I read your review and you weren't too happy with it. DH came home with some ground chicken last night and I was wondering if you ever found a meatloaf recipe for chicken that you liked. If so, would you mind sharing?

Would love to see this thread continue if you don't mind.;)

Johnny C
10-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Try an indian version - any regular chicken meatlof recipe with at least 2 tablespoons of a good curry paste (Pataks bhuna or madras are great). Don't add anything that might sweeten it - it will only work if it's 100% savoury - so if you like sweet add sweet sauces on the plate (e.g. mango chutney)

It also works well with ground turkey. We can't get ground chicken in the UK for some reason but ground turkey is easy to get hold of.

if indian spicy isn't your 'thang' how about Italian - add plenty of garlic and parsley and grated parmesan/grana padano, and dress with a nice pesto or even better a good salsa verde with good EVOO and chopped capers and anchovies

Canice
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Johnny! Been thinking of you lately - running out the door, will catch up by the weekend :)
(sorry everyone for slight hijack)

cookieee
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Try an indian version - any regular chicken meatlof recipe with at least 2 tablespoons of a good curry paste (Pataks bhuna or madras are great). Don't add anything that might sweeten it - it will only work if it's 100% savoury - so if you like sweet add sweet sauces on the plate (e.g. mango chutney)

It also works well with ground turkey. We can't get ground chicken in the UK for some reason but ground turkey is easy to get hold of.

if indian spicy isn't your 'thang' how about Italian - add plenty of garlic and parsley and grated parmesan/grana padano, and dress with a nice pesto or even better a good salsa verde with good EVOO and chopped capers and anchovies

Thank you for the suggestions. I do prefer Indian right now. Burnt out on Italian for a while. :D

golden1225
10-06-2011, 05:05 AM
Oh, I gave up on that project as we started eating less and less meat. ;) I'm sorry! Maybe someone else will pick up the project!

EmptyNestMom
10-06-2011, 08:09 AM
How about making this the "I have the best meat loaf recipe ever" thread...I would love to read/try some other peoples favorite recipes...anyone interested? I'll pull mine out tonight and post, although it is just a better than average gound beef one

cookieee
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
how about making this the "i have the best meat loaf recipe ever" thread...i would love to read/try some other peoples favorite recipes...anyone interested? I'll pull mine out tonight and post, although it is just a better than average gound beef one

yes !!!!!;)

LakeMartinGal
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I do prefer Indian right now. Burnt out on Italian for a while. :D
Gasp!:eek: I NEVER get burnt out on Italian!!!;)

newcook
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
This one is my own creation based on combining the best elements of several recipes. I have had a little trouble with the baking time which is why I left such a broad range, but I love the flavour.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Daniele's Meatloaf

Recipe By :Daniele

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For meatloaf:
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 package Stove top chicken flavored stuffing mix
(120 g)
1 large Egg
1/2 cup Heinz Ketchup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard -- heaping
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish -- heaping
For sauce:
398 milliliters can Hunt's Original Tomato Sauce

Mix meatloaf ingredients together and pat it down into a 8 x 8 glass bakeware dish/or a loaf pan.

Pour Tomato sauce evenly over top of meatloaf.

Then bake 45-60 min in 350 degree F oven.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : May want to make it with 2 eggs next time.

EmptyNestMom
10-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Here is my "go to" meatloaf recipe. I hope it is clear as my directions are very sketchy...I just do them...
Meatloaves:

3 pounds of ground beef
1 can evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp Chili Powder
2 cups oatmeal

Mix meatloaf ingredients together and divide into 3 loaves. Place on a broiler pan (this allows the grease to drip off and you are not baking the meatloaf in grease) and bake aat 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cover each loave with 1/3 of barbeque sauce, return to oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool a bit before slicing. (These loaves freeze and reheat very nicely)

Barbeque Sauce Topping

2 cups catsup
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 T. chopped onions
1 T. liquid smoke

Directions
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.

tovie
10-09-2011, 03:04 PM
This vegetarian one is my favorite. It's also the one that, the first time I helped my mom make it when I was a kid, had me asking her how vegetarian meatloaf could possibly be healthier than beef :rolleyes: :D (I mean 1 stick margarine, 4 eggs and 2 cups cheese?!?!) Healthy or not, it's awesome (and actually, nowadays I usually reduce it to 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 eggs and 1 cup cheese and use the lowfat vegeburger, so that helps).

Sweet 'n Sour Burger Loaf

1 onion, chopped
6 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
1 stick margarine
4 eggs
1 (20 oz) can Vegeburger
2 cups cheese, grated
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp sage

Melt margarine in a large skillet and saute onions and bread cubes. Then combine in a large bowl with remaining ingredients. Press into a 9x9-inch square pan or casserole and top with glaze. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Glaze
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup catsup

Mix well.

cookieee
03-20-2012, 05:58 PM
New England Corned Beef Loaf[/B]
Serves 6 to 8

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. salt
1/4 c. maple syrup
3 T. Dijon mustard

Cut the corned beef into small chunks and, in a food processor, using short bursts of power, finely chop the meat.

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the corned beef, ground beef, bread crumbs, milk onion, eggs salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Transfer the meat mixture to a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan, mounding it slightly.

Bake the meat loaf for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together the maple syrup and mustard. Spread half the mixture over the top of the loaf and bake 20 minutes. Spread the remaining mixture over and bake 20 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers 145 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot."

For those that missed this.:D

Lynne, have you found any good meatloafs lately?

margeslp
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Blue-cheese Meat Loaf
1 med. onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 T. butter
1/2 cup chili sauce
2 T. water
1 1/2 ground beef
1/4 lb. sausage meat
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. sage
2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
1 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled

Cook onion and green pepper in butter 5 min.
Add 1/4 cup chili sauce and water and cook 3 min longer
Put this into a 9x5x3" loaf pan.
Mix remaining ingredients.
Press into pan on top of first mixture.
Bake at 375 about 1 1/2 hours.
Turn out on platter.
Serves 6

Can't tell you who posted this, sorry, but you see her notes:
Persian Meat Loaf
4 Servings

1 1/2 lb. ground lamb or beef
1 lg. onion, grated
1/4 c. finely chopped green onions
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/4 c. finely chopped celery leaves
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 t. cinnamon
2 eggs
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 T. lemon juice
1 slice white bread

Put meat in large bowl. Add above ingredients except bread. Soak the bread in water and squeeze the water and add it to meat. Mix well until thoroughly mixed. Put in baking dish and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

---
Notes: I used beef, and didn't have a loaf pan, so I made it in a 9x9 pan, and it made 9 servings. I can't imagine making only 4 servings out of that!! I served it with dill rice (basmati preferably) and mast va khiar (the way this cookbook said to make it, which was new to me. it used dill rather than mint, which i usually use). I always sprinkle some sumac on top of my beef in Persian cooking (when it's on the plate), and served with some pitas. We microwaved leftovers for lunch today and it was still super moist! The cinnamon is really what made it stand out to me. MMmMmMMM!!!

golden1225
03-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi Cookieee! You know, i continue to go back to my BF's recipe. It's SOOOO good, and honestly I've never found a recipe to top it. ;)

SusanL
03-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Hi Lynne!
Is your BF's recipe posted? I was looking for it. DH loves meatloaf and mine aren't the best. If you can post/repost it, I'd appreciate that.

margeslp
03-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Hi Lynne!
Is your BF's recipe posted? I was looking for it. DH loves meatloaf and mine aren't the best. If you can post/repost it, I'd appreciate that.

I was about to ask the same thing but got sidetracked of the adorable goldies she must have

swedish cook
03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Is it Trish's Meatloaf (http://community.cookinglight.com/showpost.php?p=1269350&postcount=3)?

over50newbie
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM
By far, this is my favorite meatloaf of all time. I think I have posted it here before.

Lynette

Applesauce Meatloaf Muffins (from my deceased Aunt Helen)

3 pounds of ground meat (1 pound beef, 1 pound veal, 1 pound pork)
1 small onion – chopped fine
1 tbsp sage
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp salt
1 ½ cups of plain bread crumbs
1 24 oz jar of applesauce

Combine all ingredients.

Put into nonstick muffin pans.

Cook at 350 degrees for ½ hour

Makes 24 meatloaf muffins.

SusanL
03-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks, I looked but hadn't found that one~ Will try it this week.

cookieee
06-07-2012, 10:17 AM
This one is my own creation based on combining the best elements of several recipes. I have had a little trouble with the baking time which is why I left such a broad range, but I love the flavour.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Daniele's Meatloaf

Recipe By :Daniele

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For meatloaf:
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 package Stove top chicken flavored stuffing mix
(120 g)
1 large Egg
1/2 cup Heinz Ketchup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard -- heaping
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish -- heaping
For sauce:
398 milliliters can Hunt's Original Tomato Sauce

Mix meatloaf ingredients together and pat it down into a 8 x 8 glass bakeware dish/or a loaf pan.

Pour Tomato sauce evenly over top of meatloaf.

Then bake 45-60 min in 350 degree F oven.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : May want to make it with 2 eggs next time.

Made this last night. DH enjoyed it very much. He especially liked the horseradish in it. I liked it also, but the best part for me was having everything to make it.:D I thought is was a good idea to use Stove Top. It cut out a lot of steps. Thank you newcook for posting;)

LeaHamm
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
This is my Mother's Ham Loaf. I never did tell her how much I liked it. (You always think there will be enough time to say everything you want to say -- but there isn't!)

Ham Loaf

4 cups ground ham
3 cups ground pork
2 eggs
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar

1. Combine ham, pork, eggs, bread crumbs, milk, salt and pepper. Mix well, form into a loaf.

2. Bake 350 degrees, 1 hour-15 minutes.

3. Combine brown sugar, dry mustard and vinegar, bring to a boil. Pour over loaf, bake 15 minutes.

Leah

margeslp
06-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Leah, Thanks for your recipe and your comments. This is a real comfort food. I am trying to organize for the family reunion and I think this would be well appreciated. I still remember the first ham loaf I had at a luncheon years ago and thought it was a wonderful dish.

Tutalady
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
My sister could never make a good meatloaf so I gave her this recipe......her kids who would never eat hers now ask for this one.

Mix in the Bowl Meatloaf
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2/3c soft bread crumbs
1c milk
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1T dehydrated chopped onion
1/2 tsp sage
topping:
3T brown sugar
1/4 catsup
1 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Mix first 8` ingredients and place in loaf pan. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over meatloaf. Bake for 1 hr at 400°
From the Officer's Wives Club Quick and Easy Dishes Cookbook