PDA

View Full Version : Lil' Smokies are mostly preservatives anyway . . .

testkitchen45
02-09-2009, 06:30 AM
. . . & I bought them for a party (they're not exactly in the regular rotation), & just found them in the extra fridge. Use-by date is 12/25. :eek: Yes, I'm aware that was 6 1/2 weeks ago. :o Should I trash, or could I freeze, since they're so preservative-loaded in the first place? Thanks.

Sheila in MD
02-09-2009, 06:44 AM
If it were me...I'd freeze 'em and use them as I agree regarding the preservatives...that said, I would give them the "sniff test" prior to using them! TO me they are like cream cheese or yogurt....good way beyond the date listed :-). I am sure there are some who would disagree and the bottom line is ya' gotta do what is comfortable for you!

Sheila

Hammster
02-09-2009, 06:55 AM
If you aren't going to use them right away, freeze away. Otherwise, just go ahead and use them.

Lil Smokies, huh? :cool: ;)

testkitchen45
02-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Lil Smokies, huh? :cool: ;)

Just stop right there, Mike. ;) :D I'm sure you have a nitrite or two in your home right this very minute. :p

The Lil' Smokies are now in the freezer, right next to the organic spelt flour. Maybe they'll cancel each other out. :D

mundy
02-09-2009, 07:22 AM
I agree that there's an excellent chance they are fine and a 'sniff' test would be sufficient. Freezing doesn't make them safer or less safe, but......if it were me, I wouldn't freeze since I would likely forget that these might be less than 100% great. I wouldn't want to pull them out on the day of a party and have them fail the 'sniff' test. Just a thought..

bobmark226
02-09-2009, 07:25 AM
The Lil' Smokies are now in the freezer, right next to the organic spelt flour. Maybe they'll cancel each other out. :D

Nah. The preservatives will win. OTOH, your spelt flour will then have an indefinite freezer life. ;)

Bob

PattiA
02-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I'd trash them because the few bucks that are saved by keeping them aren't worth the risk that they are safe. The smell test is not a guarantee.

sneezles
02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Li'l smokies are right up there with Velveeta around here...only making an appearance for New Year's Day and Superbowl Sunday. I do feel a bit better now that I make the dough for the pigs in a blanket though!:p

Just Mary
02-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I think the 'smokie' in Lil Smokies might hide any off smells. I'd trash them. If it was 2 weeks past, maybe not.

GingerPow
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Those little things really are loaded with preservatives, aren't they? One of my favorite quotes: "I stay away from natural foods. At my age I need all the preservatives I can get." - George Burns :D

I used to love eating Lil' Smokies when I was a kid visiting my grandparents. They would have them with breakfast, and boy were they good.

Back to the question...since they are basically meat, despite the preservatives, I'd ditch them since they are so far past the expiration date.

Hammster
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Just stop right there, Mike. ;) :D I'm sure you have a nitrite or two in your home right this very minute. :p

LMAO, of course there is a nitrite or 2 around. But.....Lil Smokies??!!?? Are they even real meat? ;) :D

testkitchen45
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
LMAO, of course there is a nitrite or 2 around. But.....Lil Smokies??!!?? Are they even real meat? ;) :D

Well, if they're NOT real meat, then the expiration dates really don't matter at all, do they? :p

Wrap those babies in crescent rolls for some teen-pleasing appetizers, why dontcha? Addictive little buggers, esp. with BBQ sauce. (From the Tonya Harding White-Trash Cookbook, no doubt, but them thangs sure are tasty when you've got a crowd of youngun's comin' over. :D ;))

Hammster
02-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, if they're NOT real meat, then the expiration dates really don't matter at all, do they? :p

Wrap those babies in crescent rolls for some teen-pleasing appetizers, why dontcha? Addictive little buggers, esp. with BBQ sauce. (From the Tonya Harding White-Trash Cookbook, no doubt, but them thangs sure are tasty when you've got a crowd of youngun's comin' over. :D ;))

Good point. The "use by" date is really just to get the most benefit of the preservatives. After that, they aren't nearly as potent. LOL.

Well, no teens to please at our house anymore. I wonder if they would have eaten them when they were teens? Those guys have pretty amazing (ok, snooty) palates. LOL.

testkitchen45
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Those guys have pretty amazing (ok, snooty) palates. LOL.

And whose fault is that??

:D :)

Hammster
02-09-2009, 04:38 PM
And whose fault is that??

:D :)

LOL.
Seriously, though, not mine. I'll eat anything. At least once.

However, I'll take the credit. LOL.